Redox status of serum apoE; how it affects HDL, AD & CVD

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Redox status of serum apoE; how it affects HDL, AD & CVD

Post by Julie G »

This paper looks potentially important for our population, but I’m unable to access full-text. We’ve previously explored serum apoE levels and HDL status as they relate to cognition, the development of AD, and CVD. This paper meaningfully extends that research. I’m very curious as to the authors conclusions regarding the interaction with our phenotype. If anyone can access, I'd appreciate a summary. (Begging nicely ;))

Redox status of serum apolipoprotein E and its impact on HDL cholesterol levels.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28366823
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Apolipoprotein E (apoE) is closely involved in the pathogenesis of apoE-related diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease and cardiovascular disease. The redox modulation of cysteine-thiols in a protein is involved in various pathophysiological regulations; however, that of apoE has not been studied in detail. Herein, we devised an analytical method to determine the redox status of serum apoE and assessed its relation to serum cholesterol levels and apoE phenotype.
METHODS:
The present method was based on a band shift assay, using a photocleavable maleimide-conjugated polyethylene glycol.
RESULTS:
The basic characteristics of the present method were found to be satisfactory to determine the redox status of serum apoE quantitatively. Serum apoE was separated into its reduced-form (r-), non-reduced-form (nr-), apoE-AII complex, and homodimer using this method. R-apoE could be detected as a 40-kDa band, whereas nr-apoE remained as monomeric apoE. R-apoE displayed a preference for VLDL; however, the levels showed the correlation with HDL-cholesterol levels (p<0.005). Redox status of serum apoE was significantly different among apoE phenotypes. The quantitative ratios of nr-apoE to total apoE in serum from subjects with apoE4/E3 were higher than in serum from subjects with apoE3/E3 (p<0.0001) and apoE3/E2 (p<0.001).
CONCLUSION:
The redox status of serum apoE might be related to the synthesis of HDL. The information concerning the redox status of serum apoE provided by the present method may be a potent indicator to evaluate various apoE-related diseases.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Redox status of serum apoE; how it affects HDL, AD & CVD

Post by Fiver »

My institution doesn't subscribe to this journal. Sorry. I can get the article and summarize but it will take a few days.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Huge thanks, Tom. I eventually got my hands on it and found that it wasn't very specific or relevant for our group after all. Did I read that you're attending the conference in LA this summer? I look forward to spending time with you. I'll be the other tall, jet-lagged member, also taking notes ;). Prior to the meeting, we'll arrange a meet up location. Maybe we could all grab dinner the evening before?
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

I'll be there for the three days. Really looking forward to it, and meeting folks.