Caprylic Acid - are there any potential interactions with prescription drugs?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
GOLDTHREAD
Contributor
Contributor

Caprylic Acid - are there any potential interactions with prescription drugs?

Post by GOLDTHREAD »

Hi Friends,

Might you know if there are any potential interactions with prescription drugs with 100% Caprylic Acid?

My father is on Lipitor 10 mg, Inderal 60 mg., Eliquis 5mg, Flomax 0.4mg.

[emoji813]️[emoji813]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GOLDTHREAD
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Caprylic Acid - are there any potential interactions with prescription drugs?

Post by GOLDTHREAD »

I'm working to get him off these prescription drugs. He's 86 and healthy but has peripheral neuropathy from statin. Walks with a cane. An athlete. But the deterioration in his ability to use his legs has been tough for his spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Caprylic Acid - are there any potential interactions with prescription drugs?

Post by Julie G »

Waves, my friend. What is your goal in getting him to use MCT? Are you just trying to prevent cognitive decline or address emerging symptoms? Out of curiosity, do you know his ApoE status? I ask as that may be relevant given his statin use. Some physician has decided his CVD risk (per cholesterol?) was high enough to prescribe a statin. The MCT may help provide neuronal fuel, but also has the potential to increase lipids. It gets tricky... Another thought, did you notice a change in cognition since he began the statin? Oftentimes simply going off (with his physician's OK) provides a cognitive improvement. My 99 y/o grandmother recently went off of hers and we noticed a significant cognitive benefit.

In helping him, you may want to start with the "low hanging fruit" and quantify glycemic markers (fasting blood glucose, insulin, A1c) first. These are strongly correlated with both AD and CVD and may present an a entree to intervene. Of course, his physician would be the best to advise of a drug interaction with the caprylic acid.

In addition to being an amazing friend, you're an amazing daughter as well. I'm in awe. XO
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Drug to supplement interactions are not well known because they aren't well studied. No one has a financial motivation to do so. Most conventional doctors will not be aware of drug to supplement interactions, or be interested in researching them. This is my experience. That said, there is an interesting AARP link on potential drug interactions with Capryic Acid.

http://healthtools.aarp.org/natstandard ... rylic-acid

Natural Standards is a well regarded source of information on "natural" treatments, and unfortunately charges a monthly ($15/mon) or annual fee for access.
The AARP article indicates possible interaction, especially with cardiovascular meds. The first three you list for your dad are most likely prescribed for some cardiac condition, possibly A.Fib? Just an educated guess ;) The AARP article also suggests consulting with a pharmacist about interactions; if you have a relationship with a pharmacist, I think this is a great idea!

Hope this helps!
Slacker
E4/E4
ajc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ajc »

For those considering the use of caprylic acid I have a had confirmation that Doctors Data strongly suggest regular testing of GIT microbiology as long term use may compromise benificial bacteria.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

ajc wrote:For those considering the use of caprylic acid I have a had confirmation that Doctors Data strongly suggest regular testing of GIT microbiology as long term use may compromise benificial bacteria.
Can you share a link or reference?
Slacker
E4/E4
ajc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ajc »

No unfortunately. I have links with a functional medicine company I used to work at. They distribute DD tests in Australia. The tech support person called DD for advice on my question.
I have had many stool test results from my patients showing the efficiency of using caprylic acid to treat opportunistic bacteria and thus would possibly reduce good bacteria as well. Thus testing is advised.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk