Too much curcumin not a good thing?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Too much curcumin not a good thing?

Post by Stavia »

thank you DrSerene! very helpful.
Drserene
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Drserene »

I'd take the 400 mg turmeric but if you start feeling unwell, suspect it may be the turmeric, reduce the dose and see.
LA18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LA18 »

How about these strips for testing urinary sulfate?

I’m CBS ++ (C699T). Historically I’ve had strange reactions to a range of supplements and foods, but I was never able to identify the common denominator (sulfur) until I ran a methylation pathway analysis. For whatever reason (other genes?) I’m okay with 750 mg of curcumin daily, but sulfur containing supplements (NAC, glutathione, alpha lipoic acid) really send me off the deep end. I don’t know how accurate the test strips are, but my results seem to coincide with my sulfur intake and how I feel.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, DrSerene! To clarify, DrSerene is only talking about a small subset of folks, those affected with a CBS mutation. Here are the 3 relevant SNPs:

rs234706 - CBS C699T (Risk Allele: A)
rs1801181 - CBS A360A (Risk Allele: T, 23andMe: A)
rs2298758 - CBS I278T (Risk Allele: G)

Bear in mind that while much of the methylation science is considered settled, it's still pretty young. This summary of the CBS literature casts doubt on the relevance of these mutations. I like DrSerene's recommendation to actually trial curcumin and carefully note your reaction before totally abandoning it given it's potential role in helping to prevent or remediate AD.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I think I may drop my curcumin dose to 400 mg, especially perhaps given my small size. If i'm getting too much and it's causing DNA damage and/or oxidative stress, I may not feel that yet it could be doing long term damage. I tend to hope that the synergy of multiple intervenetions is more powerful than large doses of given interventions. Keeping the limitations of telomere testing in mind, given that I now have a baseline of sorts from my white blood cells, I'll see if in the future lower curcumin is consistent with a reduced gap between my chronological and biological ages, if I can achieve that at all.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Interesting ... I've learned that if I take too much curcumin I break out in a rash (only on my arms). It's not speculation - has happened over and over - can't accept defeat, I guess! Just one day after I stop taking it, the rash disappears. I've found that a single Longvida capsule (500mgs) is usually fine, but 2 is too much. I don't really have allergic reactions to anything generally & no autoimmune issues, so find it kind of odd. I'm homozygous A for rs1801181, but no risk for rs234706 (and rs2298758 is not genotyped), in case anyone else here sees a correlation.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

These things happen. I had hives for 15 months after eating chia seeds, long before they were added to everything but butter. No other seeds give me any sort of rash.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.