Too much curcumin not a good thing?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Too much curcumin not a good thing?

Post by circular »

This article is somewhat old, dated 2006. Has anyone been down this rabbit hole?

Mitochondrial and nuclear DNA damage induced by curcumin in human hepatoma G2 cells.
The lack of DNA damage at low doses suggested that low levels of curcumin does not induce DNA damage and may play an antioxidant role in carcinogenesis. But at high doses, we found that curcumin imposed oxidative stress and damaged DNA. These data reinforce the hypothesis that curcumin plays a conflicting dual role in carcinogenesis. Also, the extensive mitochondrial DNA damage might be an initial event triggering curcumin-induced cell death.
Cited in 20 studies but I don't have time to delve.

I've been taking curcumin a long time, first 400 mg and along the way switched to 800 mg.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Too much curcumin not a good thing?

Post by SusanJ »

Hard to know how to translate a cell study to humans. A quick look doesn't show much on the human side.

But, we do know there is some new research that suggests we can take too many antioxidants, and maybe this study you found is another example of that.

Here's a good overview that I've posted before.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/fo ... ood-thing/#
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

In the words of Scooby Doo- ruh roh! :shock:. I'm using a lot, partially based on this RCT with humans.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie it looks like a March 2017 paper titled The Essential Medicinal Chemistry of Curcumin cited your paper among many others. Oddly, that review said no double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in people 'has been successful'. They are probably using fairly strict standards. This newer paper might be worth a dive because it looks like it approaches curcumin from a different angle. Not having read it, I wonder if curcumin is neurotrophic and if that accounts for cognitive benefits but also makes it, like other growth factors, pro-cancer at higher doses, although at just a brief glance this appears much more technical.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I'm coming to the conclusion that if I read a paper and understand it, it's probably too oversimplified to be useful :lol:
Drserene
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Drserene »

I'm a functional doctor and find that patients who are homozygous for the CBS gene can feel quite 'toxic' ( foggy head/ nausea/ headache etc) when they take too many sulphur based nutrients and food. Basically, the gene speeds up the breakdown of sulphur nutrients ( like turmeric) and ammonia is a byproduct. Not only is ammonia toxic but the body diverts BH4 to neutralise it. It's a bit complex - when there is insufficient BH4, more free radicals are produced which causes inflammmation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Drserene wrote:I'm a functional doctor and find that patients who are homozygous for the CBS gene can feel quite 'toxic' ( foggy head/ nausea/ headache etc) when they take too many sulphur based nutrients and food. Basically, the gene speeds up the breakdown of sulphur nutrients ( like turmeric) and ammonia is a byproduct. Not only is ammonia toxic but the body diverts BH4 to neutralise it. It's a bit complex - when there is insufficient BH4, more free radicals are produced which causes inflammmation.
thanks DrSerene. What in your opinion would be a generally tolerated dose?
Drserene
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Drserene »

It's the sum total of all sulphur ingested and the CBS inheritance, so it's difficult to quantify as everyone is different.
Some people take a bunch of kale/ spinach in their daily smoothies, cauliflower rice and eat a lot of meat . Just a small amount of turmeric will tip them into a inflamed state if they are homozygous for the cbs gene. You can get your urinary sulphates tested (http://www.westlab.com.au/advanced_sear ... 00&x=0&y=0 ) - Australian site. If it's about 400mg to 800 mg/L, you can probably tolerate 500 mg turmeric.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

and for those who havent got the budget for testing, and know their CBS status thru 23andme, would a 400mg dose be generally ok?

Many members need to budget and/or do not live where advanced testing is available.
Drserene
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Drserene »

I'd take the 400 mg turmeric but if you start feeling unwell, suspect it may be the turmeric, reduce the dose and see.