Study: diet soda can really mess with your metabolism

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Study: diet soda can really mess with your metabolism

Post by ru442 »

May have to rethink using Stevia? Seems in the end it's all a balancing act with calories... very interesting research:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... metabolism
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Study: diet soda can really mess with your metabolism

Post by Stavia »

thanks RU.
Diet Coke/Pepsi is certainly addictive from a personal point of view.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

"Some dietitians and nutritional scientists go to bat for artificial sweeteners like sucralose and stevia"

Nutritional scientists go to bat for artificial sweeteners... like the organic plant, stevia? ಠ_ಠ

I had one of these yesterday, offered by a client -- way too sweet (bordering on cotton-candy soda flavor), but a cool concept.
soda.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Study: diet soda can really mess with your metabolism

Post by ru442 »

apod wrote:"Some dietitians and nutritional scientists go to bat for artificial sweeteners like sucralose and stevia"

Nutritional scientists go to bat for artificial sweeteners... like the organic plant, stevia? ಠ_ಠ

I had one of these yesterday, offered by a client -- way too sweet (bordering on cotton-candy soda flavor), but a cool concept.
soda.png
I use almost no sweetener (and NO sugar) ever now... when I do its stevia drops or in the raw, just enough to get the taste needed from previous recipes that call for sugar.

What I find interesting is the relationship to carbs... the artificial sweetener only exhibits issues it seems when consumed with carby foods, and in finite amounts. It's an interesting conundrum, because for some of our group its difficult to balance this sweet factor from our diets (I still eat some dark chocolate occasionally, but my "sweet tooth" phase has mostly passed with lchf keto diet).

I guess my question would be, does a can of zero calorie "diet" soda cause issues for an apoe4 that is keto adapted? Would imbibing occasionally be an issue? Not that i would condone it... i personally hate the taste and if it wasn't stevia would not touch it.

I know some here have cheated :wink:

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I've been cheating with the diet coke recently while still in ketosis. Dunno if it's affected my metabolism but omg the craving is awful. I feel like a heroin addict in Trainspotting. From previous experience its going to take weeks to subside.
I want it sooooo bad....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Don't know if this will help you Stavia, but I like Dr Gundry's "Gundry soda" a lot and find it reminiscent of cola. Pelligrino and a splash of balsamic vinegar to taste over ice. I love it best with Napa Valley Naturals cherry wood aged balsamic, but maybe you can't get that. This vinegar has a smidgen of sugar, 2 gm per tbs.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.