Anyone know which longevity compound worked in all worms?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Anyone know which longevity compound worked in all worms?

Post by circular »

This was a tease...

This interesting commentary in Nature about reproducibility in results, co-authored by Buck Institute's Gordon Lithgow, states:
We have found one compound that lengthens lifespan across all strains and species. Most do so in only two or three strains, and often show detrimental effects in others.
Anyone know what the compound is? I'm guessing they haven't published the data yet so aren't saying?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Anyone know which longevity compound worked in all worms?

Post by Harrison »

The compound appears to be ThioflavinT. It's in this paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14256:
Of ten pro-longevity chemicals tested, six significantly extend lifespan in at least one strain. Three reported dietary restriction mimetics are mainly effective across C. elegans strains, indicating species and strain-specific responses. In contrast, the amyloid dye ThioflavinT is both potent and robust across the strains.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks Harrison! Here's a simple page about it from 2011 at the Buck Institute website (have no brain power left to read papers atm). It looks like it could be useful not just for longevity but also in AD.

http://www.buckinstitute.org/buck-news/ ... drug-worms
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Interesting. Reading these now. As you no doubt know ThioflavinT is used in labs as a dye to visualize plaques in brain samples and to measure AB aggregation in test tube experiments. I'm only familiar with it as a lab reagent, personally.