Genesis of the 1500 IQ Humanoids

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

It has been known for decades by breeders that through artificial selection extreme
phenotypes of farm animals can be produced for traits that are highly polygenic. For example,
farm chickens have the ability to lay one egg every day. No wild chicken that has ever lived has laid
eggs at such a prodigious rate. Numerous other traits in farm animals have likewise been pushed
to extremes.

Many human traits/illnesses including intelligence, height, BMI, Alzheimer's etc. are also highly
polygenic.

The implication of the above has not been fully appreciated by or disclosed to mainstream society or most of the scientific community:
Genetic engineering techniques should allow for very extreme human phenotypes.

For example, it is thought that human intelligence differences arise from many thousands
of SNPs with extremely small effect sizes. The IQs that people inherit derive from a random process
analogous to flipping thousands and thousands of coins. If a trait only had two contributing
SNPs, then it would be quite possible to hit a maximal (or minimal) phenotype (i.e., flipping a coin twice and
obtaining two heads (or tails)).

Yet, it is highly unlikely when flipping 1000 coins that 1000 heads would occur.
The ability to select or gene edit the coin flip that results in 1000 heads has an enormous consequence:
It would mean that the entire IQ distribution of humanity would shift to the right by a very large amount.
Due to what has been discovered about the genetics of intelligence, all of humanity could use this IQ
raising trick, even if only a simple technology such as PGD were used.

The smartest person who
has ever lived would have only a few hundred more of the beneficial alleles than average and an IQ of at most 10 SD above average (roughly 250 IQ).
Someone who had the maximal number of SNPs through selection or CRISPR would have
a much, much higher level of intelligence, perhaps 100 SD above average (1500 IQ).

Up until now, science fiction has typically portrayed a future in which genetic engineering
might be used to create a genetic class structure such that the favored class did not have dramatically
different IQs than anyone else; the favored class always behaved in a recognizably human-like manner.
Given the above, it is now very clear that our true future will have humanoids who have IQs an order
of magnitude above anything that we have encountered before; this new humanoid genius species
will not behave in a recognizably human-like manner. Such people would have intelligences beyond
anything that could possibly be imagined. Even our most advanced supercomputers have not achieved
anything close to this level of cognitive performance.

No great technological breakthrough would be required to advance this.
People who had IQs enhanced to such an extent would likely have no great difficulty solving many
of our pressing problems including Alzheimer's.

In fact, this technology in a less optimized form is now already doable.
It would be expensive, at first, and it might only be able to add 10 SD (250 IQ points), though it should now be feasible.

Rolling out this technology would profoundly change humanity.
Last edited by J11 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 20 times in total.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: The 1500 IQ Humans

Post by SusanJ »

Hmm, but do we need more geniuses? Or folks who ask the simple question, why, or what are we missing here. Some of the most high IQ people I worked with in my career often failed to ask the simple question and that lead them down paths that simply did not pan out.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

not gonna happen in scale anytime soon J11. And certainly not for altruistic reasons. Most people are not logical. They are selfish and greedy and power-hungry. Its hard wired. Thousands of years of history tells us this. And so the world has stuff like North Korea and jihad and climate change instead of creating a better society which we are perfectly capable of doing intellectually and logically but completely incapable of doing at scale.

Read Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari. Improved humans will be a ruling elite.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Yes, we clearly need more geniuses.
We need a planet densely populated with 100 SD humanoids (not 0 SD) to fix all the catastrophes that we have created.

How does humanity even stand a chance to continue to exist with all of the non-geniuses that we have to deal with today?

The great tragedy of humanity is that the non-geniuses of our world likely see nothing especially troubling about any of the many disasters they might have had some role in creating. Simply having an elite to proclaim the answer to the people will never be sufficient. In a democratic world it is necessary for the people to consent and at some level understand the answer.

Current research has now proved that for at least the last century genotypic IQ of humanity has been in decline.
The research concluded that if this trend were allowed to continue there will be severe consequences (perhaps
such consequences are already manifesting). Without intervention humanity is drifting towards a time in which
we might no longer be intellectually capable enough to use genetic engineering to design the people to solve our problems.

Many of our currently pressing problems such as Alzheimer's would clearly be solvable with
an addition of g.

One can only imagine that the 1500 IQ humans would be entirely amazed with the suggestion that optimizing
primate IQ would somehow not be a universally sought after objective. The idea that humanity would not choose
to be smarter, does not seem smart. If humans are not particularly interested in
a cognitive upgrade then I suppose we'll have to wait for the few years it will take for artificial intelligence to exceed
anything that would be possible with a biological life form.

This entire concept that the future will be a repetition of the past seems highly unlikely.
Creating a new genius humanoid species has never been possible before.
Given a choice why would any highly intelligent species choose to preserve the dysfunctional world that we have now?

The technology necessary to advance this idea is widely dispersed in the world.
Last edited by J11 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 13 times in total.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

The reason why this has not manifest as of yet is the SNP library for high g alleles has only started to be reported within the last few months.
2017 is the year we went from close to 0 of these SNPs to hundreds. Until recently this was something for the future not the present.
Now this is something that could be or is being done.
It should be fairly obvious something has changed when the kids start performing at intellectual levels that are far beyond anything ever seen before and begin solving problems that have never been solved before.

It is extraordinarily dangerous to assume that this can't or is not being done right now. The national security implications of introducing this level of intelligence into the world possibly without any formal announcement are truly profound.
The only reasonable international response to this development would be to negotiate a global cessation of all organized conflicts.
One would not want to give any cause for any child who might possess 100 SD IQ to have a grievance with others. Inaction on this issue will simply intensify the risk that we will all face.

Hundreds of SNPs would allow 10 SD (250 IQ points) to be
added to human intelligence. It has been recently reported that CRISPR technology is essentially ready to roll out. However, CRISPR
is not absolutely required to enhance human IQ. Simply using PGD selection would also allow for a large IQ enhancement. Such an enhancement could be applied to anyone wanting a child.

If aliens exist, then where are the aliens?
I see no aliens.
Therefore, there are no aliens.

Aliens do exist.
They are fast approaching and they are us.

The technology has arrived.
Last edited by J11 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The 1500 IQ Humanoids

Post by J11 »

One immediate implication of this insight is that it will now be recognized that high IQ individuals only perform
at a very low fraction of optimal cognitive potential and that group differences are minuscule.

If we re-scale human IQ using SD as the yard stick, then average IQ is 0, very high is 5, near "maximal" is 7, while
optimal is 100. It will become increasingly challenging for highly intelligent people to assert intellectual legitimacy, when they are only scoring 5 out of 100 of human potential. 5 percent is not considered a passing grade in anything but the most difficult engineering course.

Group differences are typically only 1 SD or less. This difference is only 1% of maximal IQ. The distance between us is tiny in comparison to the distances between all groups and optimal.

It should no longer be especially surprising that high IQ groups have emerged. This reflects a selective process that any world population could and now probably will duplicate. Such a result also is a natural consequence of the genetic architecture of human intelligence. With the current technology, it will not be overly difficult to prove this out in the real world.

How can anyone now brag about 5% optimal IQ? Everyone has the genetic potential to have a child with 5 SD IQ simply using PGD selection.
Last edited by J11 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The 1500 IQ Humanoids

Post by J11 »

Dementia Nation should join in common cause with other like minded Nations and pursue as an explicitly stated goal based upon fundamental and inalienable human rights the creation of such genius humanoids using the already developed technologies and invest in yet additional optimization of this technology.

Increasing humanity's average g by several standard deviations would without any question lead to cures and innovations on a reasonably brief time scale. Unenhanced humans have tried their best to solve dementia and many other illnesses over the last many centuries; now might be a good time to pursue our self-interests and try a new strategy.
Last edited by J11 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

It is highly interesting to speculate how human history might have unfolded differently if the masters thesis written by RA Fisher in 1918 entitled "The Correlation between Relatives on the Supposition of Mendelian Inheritance" had went one step beyond all the complex mathematical equations and simply noted that polygenicity implies extreme phenotypes.

http://www.indiana.edu/~curtweb/L567/re ... er1918.pdf

One might imagine that once this were to be realized that a government project that pursued a genetic upgrade of humanity might be started soon after. Considering that not long after humanity sank to the lowest level of depravity in recorded history, how could we look back and not wish that genetically engineering higher IQ might have given humanity a better chance? How many of the countless social and other calamities that have occurred in the last century would have been avoided if only people had had the ability to understand more clearly?

Given what is known, it is reasonable that such a government project could and should be initiated even now. The returns for
such an investment would be overwhelming. Considering the known propensities of humanity, how can we look forward and not create this better world for ourselves and our children?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Genesis of the 1500 IQ Humanoids

Post by Stavia »

I am more cynical and suspect that smarter won't necessary be nicer. Just better at selfishness and exploitation.
J11 I know that it's logical to use one's advantage for good but history shows it often doesn't happen.
I suspect CRISPR will result in an advantaged superclass elite who will monopolise the technology and a vast underprivileged rest of humanity.
Sorry for disagreeing - I hope I am wrong and utopia is around the corner.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Genesis of the 1500 IQ Humanoids

Post by Sandy57 »

Stavia I agree with you, but wish you were wrong. Greed and power always wins in the end and I am afraid it would be more of the same. Great book.

J11 you impress the hell out of me with the effort you put into medical technology. Human DNA, RNA, coding, decoding is a very tough and touchy subject.

Susan the smartest people I know, were not the most successful people I know for sure. In fact in medicine rarely the best. In research labs definitely some brilliant people that are making great strides in medicine. As practicing physicians, usually terrible. I am talking about the super smart. Not saying all of them, but most that I knew at UCI Medical Center were horrible at patient care. Bedside manner sucked, no patience, not compassionate, and most importantly did not really listen to the patient. I will never forget that.

I did Genetic research for 18 months and did rounds with the MD researchers. They were brilliant at reading labs, doing differential diagnoses, reading X-rays, MRI's , figuring out meds , looking at the chromosomes, DNA, RNA, contraindications, etc etc. Then we go into the room and the communication with the patients was missing, could not explain in simple terms the treatment plan, sort of dictated care, and let the patient or family speak for a very short time and left.

I would be speechless. They would go to the Doctors station or Nurses station and I would sneak back in the room and answer what I could. So unethical of me, I was not a doc. I would obviously not give medical advice or do anything with meds, just talked, showed compassion, and listened mostly to their concerns. Patients loved me and would ask for Dr. Frank all the time.

Finally I got written up and sent to the head Genetic Researcher at UCI. He asked me what the hell I was doing and told me he should kick me out of the program. After I explained clearly what I was doing, he winked at me and said " Frank, I feel the same way. These guys are brilliant and make shitty doctors" Love story short, I went to work for his lab, studying rare Genetic conditions. His patients were mostly children. Heart wrenching, sad, but if you did not have compassion these kids would not open up to you. Rounds with him; completely opposite, guy was brilliant, but had the compassion and heart to match. Loved that guy.

Moral of the story and agreeing with Stavia, brilliance does not guarantee that you will do what's is best for society or medicine. Some might, most would be so smart they would see all the angles. In the perfect world J11, I would love it as much as you. I think it is still a long way off.

Just a simple guy in Hawaii,
Frank