New paper by Dr. Bredesen & team

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New paper by Dr. Bredesen & team

Post by NewRon »

From SelfHacked article:

"SIRT1 is supposed to be cycled in a circadian manner. Chronically high levels could produce a different effect"

Would this apply to supplementation designed to increase SIRT1, possibly interfering with cycling?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Would this apply to supplementation designed to increase SIRT1, possibly interfering with cycling?
Why not cycle the supplements? I do.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Can you explain what you mean by cycling? Do you take turns between taking different SIRT1 supps one at a time? Or you mean cycling when you take them during the day and night? TIA
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

My understanding of the sentence from SelfHacked was that SIRT1 increases and decreases on a regular daily cycle.

My question was, would supplementation designed to increase SIRT1, chronically elevate SIRT1, rather than have it fluctuate on a daily cycle, as it seems it should, thus leading to the 'different effect' referred to in the article?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

It's a good question. I haven't had time to read Self Hacked on this to see if SIRT1 is up during the night (I think) and down during the day. Absent having a truly knowledgeable response for you, 'common sense' would say supplement at the beginning of the up cycle and with supplementation should achieve a modest/physiological baseline for the down cycle, whatever that would be.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm interpreting the article to suggest that SirT1 is likely somewhat regulated if your circadian rhythm is normalized, i.e. awake during the day and asleep at night. Self-Hacked uses the example of patients with chronic fatigue who tend to exhibit the opposite schedule.

By cycling, I simply meant that I purposefully don't take my supps a few days a week, allowing my body to naturally function. Through trial and error, I've noticed that NAD and resveratrol (both used to upregulate sirT1) are counterintuitively stimulating for me and will disrupt my sleep. I've learned to take them either in the morning or early afternoon. YMMV.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Julie,

I understand your concept of cycling supplements in general, indeed a phytoscientist friend of a friend in France apparently has encouraged this approach (I think they make pine bark extract but I'm not sure).

However, I'm not sure if that was what was intended by that sentence and it may be a warning to be careful, as supplementation may result in SIRT1 being chronically elevated and leading to that 'different effect' referred to (which may not be very nice).
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:BYW Julie and Brian, for the life of me I can't figure out how to get full access through SciHub?
Put the DOI

10.1007/s12035-017-0757-2

In to http://sci-hub.io/

Generally ignore the Cyrillic or figure it out. Sometimes there is a captcha test, but the letters are not Cyrillic.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

My understanding is that reseveratrol as well as polyphenols (I consume both) act as CR or fasting mimetics, but not as strong an effect as fasting. Hence my cyclical 120 hour fasts out of every 14 days. Also eating a 75% plus fat calorie diet on eating days but also cycling fairly high levels of carbs (180 g) from resistant starches.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Ron, apologies for being dense. Can you please point to where you found the sentence below? I want to better understand the "different effect."
"SIRT1 is supposed to be cycled in a circadian manner. Chronically high levels could produce a different effect"
Re. the circadian rhythm effect, I've found that taking these supps at night dramatically interfered with my ability sleep. Not good :shock:. Is that the "different" effect? Why would you assume that a 4/4 with with downregulated sirT1 would result in chronically high levels by supplementing NAD and resveratrol 5 days a week? My hope is that by supplementing, I'm normalizing levels.