FOXO3 Gene

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: FOXO3 Gene

Post by SusanJ »

circ, it is likely context, and not just genetic, but maybe other assaults on our gut are setting the stage, like antibiotics, glyphosate, BPA and other toxins we have ingested in our lives and still can ingest unwittingly. What are those doing to our guts, microbiota and immune system?

I feel as though I'm in the second generation of a huge chemistry experiment. I see a potential connection between my dad's AD (he was a farmer and WW2 vet), and his use of DDT, aldrin, 2,4-D and other agricultural chemicals, not to mention the military's use of DDT and the like on mosquitos to prevent malaria. One of my brothers who used to farm is still in an Iowa State study tracking his biomarkers over a lifetime. Another brother gets ill around the chemicals that lawn services use, he suspects, because he was in Vietnam and around Agent Orange. And who knows about dicamba and the other chemicals used today.

I really hate being the canary in the coal mine, but I think that's where E4s are today. Maybe without the other assaults, we'd fare okay with lectins and other foods that have ended up on the problematic list.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

G/G!

:)
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Arghh, T,T. I guess this compounds the insulin sensitivity issues of ApoE4 :o I'd seen this before in my results but hadn't focused in on it.
The FoxO3 gene and cause-specific mortality
We found G allele carriers had a combined (Japanese, white, and black populations) risk reduction of 10% for total (all‐cause) mortality (HR = 0.90; 95% CI, 0.84–0.95; P = 0.001). This effect size was consistent across populations and mostly contributed by 26% lower risk for CHD death (HR = 0.74; 95% CI, 0.64–0.86; P = 0.00004). No other causes of death made a significant contribution to the survival advantage for G allele carriers. In conclusion, at older age, there is a large risk reduction in mortality for G allele carriers, mostly due to lower CHD mortality. The findings support further research on FOXO3 and FoxO3 protein as potential targets for therapeutic intervention in aging‐related diseases, particularly cardiovascular disease.
Dementia was factored in, but it's possible that in those with dementia their deaths were recorded as CV conditions, masking a link with an increased occurrence of dementia among T carriers.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Keep it going guys because all of you smart people are on the right track. My concern like sister Circ pointed out; can I be compliment long term. Myself I know I would cheat some and add protein. Also fitness people are not big on soy. It does raise estrogen. Which is interesting, because males in the study have higher testosterone levels, than males of similar age on SAD regimes. However, these same males have higher estrogen levels as compared to others in their age category. So the estrogen increase is minimul in the long run, I have hypothesized.

Any G is good, two are fantastic. BUT do not be disheartened if you are TT, because the lead researcher said diet, CR, and lifestyle can mimic having the G allele. Those hacks strike again. Nice.

Susan I 100% agree that outside environmental factors are at play. That is a huge factor in my opinion. Our good friend, TOXINS. So without other environmental toxins destroying the gut and the nasal passages by inhalation, maybe these long - livers from other Countries get away with lectins and other foods that most can't. This has been documented with the roundup type products that play havoc with ALL mammals digestive systems. Then once the gut is destroyed the exact receptors in the brain take a hit.

Ok I will follow up more tomorrow, trying to contact the lead researcher in Hawaii tomorrow, not holding my breath, guy is super busy.

Mahalo all,
Frank
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Meant to add that I think the soy in the Okinawan diet is, traditionally, mostly if not all fermented: soy sauce, miso, fermented tofu etc.

Also, their tofu is non-GMO and most likely pesticide-free. ( Japan strictly limits the use of pesticides.) Unless you're using organic tofu in the states, you can be almost 100% assured that you're getting GMO with Aminomethyl/phosphonic acid used as a pesticide.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks Frank, that's encouraging for sure.

I read a couple days ago that GMO and hybrid foods are higher in lectins because they intended to increase the defense system in the resultant breeds.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Julie hit the nail on the head. These people eat cleaner than you can imagine. No additives, all natural, very little outside influences. When reading charts the G / T and G / G 's are lumped together a lot of times because the benefits are so close. However, they do distinguish that G / G males have a triple chance to live to a 100 than T/T males and G / T males have double the chance of living to 100 that T/T males.

So Doctor Stavia I apologize for not answering your direct question. But you have a G so rejoice. But Circ and others with T/ T alleles; the odds of long life increase significantly when you adopt the healthy Okinawa lifestyle.

Finally if nobody figured it out yet, the punchline is INFLAMMATORY conditions kept to a minimum. Inflammation is not our friend. That is why their heart disease is so low, cancer lower, immune disorders very low, and dementia very low. So all the hacks we do will narrow the odds of inflammatory disease. The all cause mortality is decreased by 10% at a minimum; with 26% of that 10% from their extremely low rates of CVD.

Ok this time good-by for the day, hahahha, just wanted to answer Julie and Stavia's question about what the allele distribution means. If you have a G, double the benefit, if G / G triple benefit of a long healthy life ; if you follow sound diet principles and a sensible lifestyle.

Frank
pguyer807
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pguyer807 »

Hi to all,

I have the homozygous (live to 100) version of this gene FOX03 . My mother has the same.
She is now 92 and diabetic but has pretty clear arteries no heart disease and normal blood pressure. My grandmother was 100
and her mother lived to be 102. No significant health issues. But my mother is 3/3. Poor woman I had her spitting in a tube for 23and me at her 90th birthday party!

My health has been pretty good, I am rarely sick had a zero calcium score, have a good cholesterol profile. I am 61. I always have
very low crp and decent homocysteine. My dad however lived to be 82 but a lot of vascular disease aneurysm s and mini strokes.
My fear is that I have apoe4/3 and a copy of the dreaded TOMM40 gene UGH. I will be a 100 year old with dementia! LOL
My dad ate a lot of fat sugar meat. My moms family eats very little meat but they would eat fat Back salt pork and cook with lard occasionally. They rarely eat meat and consider it a rarity.
I find when my fat intake goes up so does my glucose. I also have the vegetarian genes. I wonder if diet and how we respond to
it is largely genetic. When on a high fat diet my lipid peroxides (indicating oxidation of PUFA ) goes off the chart.
UGH. It's always a struggle!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

NewRon & pguyer, I'm beyond jelly :mrgreen:. Your work here is done. That's pretty close to a "get out of jail free" card. Congrats, my friends.
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Still reaching out, no luck yet, but I am tenacious. I am very curious about the low rates of CIRS and immune disease. Now they do not say "CIRS" per se, but I interpret the data to mean close to the same.

Ya Julie, those darn G/G folks better take care of us when they turn 100 and you are 90 with just your one G allele and a fading 91% tile on your Brain IQ games. Lol haha.

Frank