FOXO3 Gene

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: FOXO3 Gene

Post by KatieS »

Alysson, I support Frank's advise of non-invasive tests and comparative long-term follow-up. Interestingly, my husband's two angiograms revealed only "mild calcifications" despite a CAC of 830. Perhaps, the CT is more sensitive to pick up this early warning. Also, as Frank mentioned an angiogram is not risk-free, recalling how my husband had a femoral hemorrhage hours after the angiogram. Have you considered a stress echocardiogram, as this would reveal any subclinical myocardial damage?
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thank you ru442, Stavia, Frank, and Katie. I'm grateful for your replies. I've come to see quite clearly today that I don't have peace of mind about my coronary artery disease, and I believe it's in my best interest to seek it. Most of me believes I will find peace of mind because any test results will show I'm fine. But there's that part of me that worries.

I don't believe I'd need to go as far as an angiogram for peace of mind; that does sound risky and not where I need to go, at least at this point. I've been concerned that a cardiologist would try to convince me to do that test, so I've been avoiding seeing one. But now I feel reassured that's not likely to happen, but if it does, I can say No.

I haven't yet looked into the stress echocardiogram, but the stress echo sounds reasonable to me. But if I could find a clinic that uses the EBCT scanner, I would probably go that route. Last year, I looked around online and couldn't find anything within driving distance. But I think I'll need to get on the phone and make some calls to find out for sure.

So I'll give this more thought, do some research, and talk to my PCP next month. If he could (highly) recommend a cardiologist in the area, that would help. I can also ask my neighbors. I know of a local cardiologist who determines calcium scores with a CAT scan.

Thallium is the material used, huh? Interestingly, when I had my Doctor's Data Toxic Metals urine test, the only metal that was above the reference range was thallium. I've previously had scans done for various reasons, but I don't know what material was used. Now I'm wondering if it was thallium.

Anyway, thanks so much, gang! I feel like all of you have my back, and I really appreciate it. And Frank, I really get now how individualistic it is to find that peace of mind. It is fascinating that two of those people you mentioned who had angiograms for peace of mind were in the medical field. They probably "saw it all" and didn't want to be that rare case that was somehow missed by less invasive testing. I'm looking forward to your post about the Healthy diet, whenever you can squeeze in the time.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Alysson my husband has a very high calcium score. All the cardiologist did was pop him on a treadmill to get his heart rate up and he had an echo. There is no dye.
The dye is used in a digital angiogram. It uses imaging to "see" the inside of the coronary arteries. It sees soft plaque that may be inside the lumen of the artery. But it tends to overcall it ie say its worse than it actually is when one goes in with an invasive angiogram

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Stavia, thanks for the additional information. The stress echo sounds easy but quite useful. I'm glad no dye is involved. DId your husband pass his test?
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Aloha Alysson

The difference between these tests is how closely they look at the coronary arteries. Also call a nuclear scintigraphy the thallium scan/echo is not where you need to start. Again opinion only, based on your history and presentation as I know it or can tell by your writings. Most docs are going to start with a basic Exercise EKG. If issues present, then go to a stress echo, no dye. You can refuse dye as well if suggested and just go with a stress echo. Don't worry it will give you the information you need to make future decisions. Just follow your protocol, eat well, sleep well, meditate, watch movies with your hubby, etc.

Keep us in the loop,
Frank
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

yes he did! totally normal muscle function. so we are reassured.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Stavia, I'm so happy to hear your husband did just fine on his stress echo!

Frank, thanks for the additional information and context around these testing options. I don't believe I have any symptoms related to my CAD, except sometimes I feel like I have reduced blood flow to my brain. I get a certain quality of fatigue and have to lay down flat or get on the treadmill and get my blood flowing. Maybe it's not actually from reduced blood flow to my brain; maybe it's something completely unrelated. But it seems blood flow related. This has been better since I started using vinpocetine, 10 mg 3x/day. It's not like I take this supplement, and I immediately feel better. It's more that when I started taking it and when I started feeling better with respect to this symptom seem to coincide.

I had a carotid artery scan done recently through LifeLife Screening. The results showed mild plaque build up in my right carotid artery (but not in my left) that does not significantly affect the blood flow through this artery. I was bummed there was any plaque there at all. I also have some minor plaque buildup in my aorta, which was an incidental finding from a CAT scan of my abdomen a few years ago.

I have a long history of taking calcium supplements (the bad kind, I now know) for my osteopenia that worsened into osteoporosis despite taking these darn supplements.
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

I'm hetero and eat a fair amount of the purple sweet potatoes and natto. But traditional diet includes 3lbs (or something) of sweet potatoes per day . I'm no where near that. Supposedly resveratrol has the same effect.
E3/E4
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

About the estrogen/testosterone. Sweet potatoes also affect this for higher levels. And okinawans eat a lot. And elderly okinawans have a lot for ppl their age. This makes me think it's not a bad thing.
E3/E4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I just posted on this but then found this post. I have the GG FOX03 gene, which promethease says may be a good thing? And also have another one- associated only with women? rs1935949 TT....But unsure how that works if you have APOE4 as well. (am 3/4) I have MTHFR problems though (heterozygous there and it seems may need to look at methyl folate) So a mixture of things...

Will take a good look back through this post. It looks helpful.