Progesterone and the brain

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Progesterone and the brain

Post by Orangeblossom »

Stavia wrote:
Orangeblossom wrote:I'm not in the menopause yet but taking the progestogen-only pill (POP) does this work in a similar way I wonder? I had a look and it seems it may... :? I'm not really taking it for that, but for contraception and it is helpful as it stops periods as well. But would be nice if it did.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21426099

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... in/251299/

Mine is fairly low dose anyway, 75mcg desogestrel. (Cerazette / Cerelle)
Cerazette isn't Progesterone (P4).

It is common to confuse the following terms which are specific and not interchangeable.

It goes like this.
"Progestogens" are divided into those made by the body and those that arent. Two main subclasses:

(1) The group of progestogens made by the body includes "Progesterone/P4"
(2) "Progestins" are synthetic. Examples of the latter are medroxyprogestetone acetate (Provera), norethisterone, and your desogesterol (Cerazette)

Both groups interact with the progesterone receptors in some way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks Stavia. for explaining. Yes, the second article was on How Progestin, a Synthetic Female Hormone, Could Affect the Brain.

"Progestins have unique effects on the brain which ultimately could impact the long-term neurological health of users. Most of the effects of progestins on the brain are beneficial, although some research has shown that they may pose some risks."

Seems to say newer types may be better, and about the cycling which I obviously can't do with my pill. I'm hoping that taking it over years doesn't affect the oestrogen too much, hence saying about it being low dose. other things could be a Mirena, which they are very keen on over here, :? not really sure why. Maybe it being localised might help, but not so keen on that. I'm not sure if they would swap me over to a combined pill as they prefer the mini pill in older women I think.

Overall, I read that women taking some form of oral contraceptive seemed to have better cognition later in life though..

It's a bit concerning to me that a synthetic progestin was used in the combination in the WHS along with premarin and caused worse outcomes with cognition, who knows if it could be that or the premarin causing it. It seems the natural progesterone and cycling may be the way to go. Wonder if may be another contraception might suit us with E4 better. I used to have a copper coil, due to being hormone free but it causes very heavy periods so is not very practical. Ideally would get him to have the snip but not keen. and can't get sterilisation due to previous adhesions (can't risk another pregnancy due to them too so need to be very careful on this).

Mini pill seems to be linked to depression in studies.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Progesterone and the brain

Post by circular »

I’d love to hear any updates about cycling progesterone. I’ve been taking 100 mg nightly for some years now. Recently this thread returned to my attention and reminded me that I may want to cycle. I’ve been off it three nights now and don’t like how that’s impacting my sleep. Feeling very conflicted about this issue. I think sleep is paramount if there aren’t negative effects of taking progesterone continuously (ie, not the absence of positive effects like prevention of tau phosphorylation). I could try to identify other ways to prevent the tau phosphorylation? Maybe practicing tao phosphorylation instead?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

circular wrote:I’d love to hear any updates about cycling progesterone. I’ve been taking 100 mg nightly for some years now. Recently this thread returned to my attention and reminded me that I may want to cycle. I’ve been off it three nights now and don’t like how that’s impacting my sleep.
Hi circ, Recently I listened to a video presentation with Ann Hathaway. When she talked about progesterone cycling, if I recall correctly, she said that in patients who cannot sleep without the P4, she allows them stay on it without cycling because good sleep is such a high priority.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria wrote:
circular wrote:I’d love to hear any updates about cycling progesterone. I’ve been taking 100 mg nightly for some years now. Recently this thread returned to my attention and reminded me that I may want to cycle. I’ve been off it three nights now and don’t like how that’s impacting my sleep.
Hi circ, Recently I listened to a video presentation with Ann Hathaway. When she talked about progesterone cycling, if I recall correctly, she said that in patients who cannot sleep without the P4, she allows them stay on it without cycling because good sleep is such a high priority.
Thanks floramaria! That's exactly what I've done and why. All we can do given the complexities is cross our fingers :)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
UFGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by UFGirl »

Here is one study with mice regarding cycling vs continuously taking progesterone. It is interesting because progesterone and estradiol are actually used. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2875823/ Cycling the progesterone looks to have the advantage even over estradiol only (according to the bar graphs). I thought I had read another paper about the benefits of cycling progesterone, but I can't find that one.