Progesterone and the brain

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Progesterone and the brain

Post by KatieS »

My mom had endometrial hyperplasia with dysplasia,but she was not compliant with the only available synthetic progesterone (Provera), so maybe GYN is cautious with me. Still she had spotting, which is usually an early sign, after years of unopposed estrogen. Maybe ask about the US after a year of estradiol levels of ~50 since you're on a lower monthly dose of progesterone.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Thanks, Katie.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

KatieS wrote:Cir, how low are going in your progesterone (Prometrium or another)?
At the time I referenced just above I'm not sure. It was either OTC progesterone cream at 20 mg or less a day, or a prescription compounded cream that I could adjust. Either way a lot less than 100 mg/day. I recently switched to an estradiol patch, I think .50, and 100 mg Prometrium. The 100 mg seemed too much so I'm taking my first 7 day break. Since I've never had a break I wonder if I have a buildup in my tissues even though I've always been on such low doses. After the break I'll try 100 mg oral again as a retest, and if it's too much I'll try it vaginally. My symptoms are the increased laxity and somewhat groggy (not severely so).
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I have a question for the patch afficianados. My insurance covers two. They made me start with the lowest dose Menostar at .014 (I think), even though it's intended only for menopausal osteoporosis. I went through a week of insomnia til I could get to another doctor who put me on the second option, Alora, at .050. The patch is staying on, but three days after removing the forstmy skin is still red where it was applied, but only after a shower. Then it fades out until the next shower when the redness returns briefly. I've washed the skin there well.

Has anyone had this happen? I worry that if I can't use it I'll have to pay out of pocket for something else.

[Edit: Oops, thought I was in the hormone tx thread. Mods can move this is they wish.]
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

yup my patches cause a red mark. I just ignore it and sometimes rub a bit of cortisone cream on. Its never got really bad except if I scratch at it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Okay, thx Stavia!
anne from california
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anne from california »

slacker wrote:Anyone currently cycling progesterone having trouble with vaginal bleeding? If menopausal with vaginal bleeding, does one move forward with an endometrial biopsy to rule out cancer, or simply increase the progesterone? Tricky....
I know this is an older thread, but I've been searching like crazy trying to figure out how to help myself out of my hormone hell while I wait to hear back from Dr. Hathaway. .050 estradiol patch, and feeling pretty awful on 100 mg progesterone oral/vaginal (I've tried both), and now bleeding after switching back to transdermal 100 mg for two nights last week. Wondering if cycling would be a better option for me, and after reading Hathaway's slides again, expecting that might be what she recommends. Although I've got to say, if 100 mg of progesterone is giving me chest tightness/dizziness/sleeplessness, I can't imagine taking 200 mg!

Isn't the whole purpose of cycling progesterone to produce a bleed? Wouldn't going off the progesterone cause levels to plummet, and bring it on?

I'm not eager to go back to having a period, but if it could be predicted and not too heavy--and keep me off the ultrasound/biopsy table--I might be willing.
60 years old, ApoE 3/3, mother and grandmother have/had late-onset dementia, eager to save brain and optimize health.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

None of my patients bleed on 26 days on, 5 off, but I only have about 20 on this regime. Another option is 200mg a day 14 days on, 14 days off which definitely produces a bleed.
I guess its individual.

Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I'm not in the menopause yet but taking the progestogen-only pill (POP) does this work in a similar way I wonder? I had a look and it seems it may... :? I'm not really taking it for that, but for contraception and it is helpful as it stops periods as well. But would be nice if it did.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21426099

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... in/251299/

Mine is fairly low dose anyway, 75mcg desogestrel. (Cerazette / Cerelle)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Progesterone and the brain

Post by Stavia »

Orangeblossom wrote:I'm not in the menopause yet but taking the progestogen-only pill (POP) does this work in a similar way I wonder? I had a look and it seems it may... :? I'm not really taking it for that, but for contraception and it is helpful as it stops periods as well. But would be nice if it did.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21426099

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... in/251299/

Mine is fairly low dose anyway, 75mcg desogestrel. (Cerazette / Cerelle)
Cerazette isn't Progesterone (P4).

It is common to confuse the following terms which are specific and not interchangeable.

It goes like this.
"Progestogens" are divided into those made by the body and those that arent. Two main subclasses:

(1) The group of progestogens made by the body includes "Progesterone/P4"
(2) "Progestins" are synthetic. Examples of the latter are medroxyprogestetone acetate (Provera), norethisterone, and your desogesterol (Cerazette)

Both groups interact with the progesterone receptors in some way.