HDL helps clear beta-amyloid

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

HDL helps clear beta-amyloid

Post by Julie G »

Cheers to those with high levels of functioning HDL! An engineered 3-dimensioinal model of Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy in bioengineered human vessels demonstrates the importance of HDL in helping to clear beta-amyloid.

Clearance of beta-amyloid is facilitated by apolipoprotein E and circulating high-density lipoproteins in bioengineered human vessels.
https://elifesciences.org/articles/29595
Abstract
Amyloid plaques, consisting of deposited beta-amyloid (Aβ), are a neuropathological hallmark of Alzheimer's Disease (AD). Cerebral vessels play a major role in AD, as Aβ is cleared from the brain by pathways involving the cerebrovasculature, most AD patients have cerebrovascular amyloid (cerebral amyloid angiopathy (CAA), and cardiovascular risk factors increase dementia risk. Here we present a notable advance in vascular tissue engineering by generating the first functional 3-dimensioinal model of CAA in bioengineered human vessels. We show that lipoproteins including brain (apoE) and circulating (high-density lipoprotein, HDL) synergize to facilitate Aβ transport across bioengineered human cerebral vessels. These lipoproteins facilitate Aβ42 transport more efficiently than Aβ40, consistent with Aβ40 being the primary species that accumulates in CAA. Moreover, apoE4 is less effective than apoE2 in promoting Aβ transport, also consistent with the well-established role of apoE4 in Aβ deposition in AD.
We’ve long speculated that HDL could counteract the abeta clearance issues present in our genotype. This model confirmed that hypothesis.
Interestingly, the combination of anteluminal apoE4 and circulating luminal HDL significantly increased both Aβ40 and Aβ42 transport over 4 hr compared to either Aβ alone or Aβ with apoE4 (Figure 5e–f), and concomitantly the level of Aβ42 accumulated in the tissue at 24 hr was significantly lower in the presence of both apoE4 and HDL compared to Aβ42 alone or Aβ42 and apoE4 (Figure 5h). These results strongly support a cooperative role between brain apoE and circulating HDL to preferentially clear Aβ across the vasculature, and suggest that one beneficial role of circulating HDL is to functionally counteract against apoE4 in this Aβ transport assay.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: HDL helps clear beta-amyloid

Post by aphorist »

HDL is where the lipid system of the body meets inflammation/infection. HDL particles are responsive to not only plaques (foam macrophages) in the arterial lining, but also host-defense response and innate immunity/infections. HDL, I think, is in some ways very very different than particles like VLDL, which are mostly carrying energy (triglycerides).

ApoE forms HDL-like particles in the brain. ApoA1 is there in the brain by passing through the BBB, but production of ApoE from astrocytes is critical for brain health. ApoE apolipoproteins don't have ApoA1, which is the traditional apoprotein of HDL in the blood plasma, but they are major parts of the system for inflammation/infection. ApoJ (Clusterin) seems to be involved also.

The greater the lipidation status of ApoE/HDL, the better the particles are able to perform their job. I think the problem with ApoE4 is amino acid at position 112 (arg-112) tends to be sticky to the hinge domain at amino acid 255 (Glu-255). (Figure A). The difference between E3 and E4 is the amino acid Arg-112 vs. Cys-112.

Source: Mahley 2009

When the domain interaction becomes sticky, it prevents the apoproptein from opening up and becoming lipidated (Figure B). There are other things going on w/ E4. But the primary issue to keep amyloid beta down and its removal, I think seems to hinge on how well lipidated E4 becomes and that's part of the reason why ABCA1 agonists like Bexarotene seem to work so well in clearance of amyloid. ABCA1 is the receptor that interacts with ApoE for lipidation, which ultimately determines how effectively ApoE can carry amyloid beta and do its job in terms of delivering cholesterol to neurons the need repair.

Functional HDL levels and keeping the immune system strong seem to be critical for preventing alzheimers. I've begun taking lysine (1000 mg/day), as it is inhibtory to HSV-1 replication and reduces the burden on lipid/immune system. (Rubey 2010) I think lactoferrin is probably also worth looking at, but I'm still sorting through all this.

There is more going on here in terms of receptor interaction that I need to fully understand. But functional HDL status is critical.

I think this also partly explains why there are different 'subtypes' of Alzheimers according to Bredesen. It's because the innate immune system can be overtaxed in different ways. Insults from viral infection or metabolic distress (T2D, etc.) end up overtaxing glial cells/inflammation/immune response capacity.

Robert W. Mahley, Karl H. Weisgraber, and Yadong Huang Apolipoprotein E: structure determines function, from atherosclerosis to Alzheimer's disease to AIDS J. Lipid Res. 2009 50:(Supplement) S183-S188. First Published on December 22, 2008, doi:10.1194/jlr.R800069-JLR200

Rubey. 2010. "Could Lysine Supplementation Prevent Alzheimer&Rsquo;S Dementia? A Novel Hypothesis". Neuropsychiatric Disease And Treatment, 707. Dove Medical Press Ltd. doi:10.2147/ndt.s14338.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Nice post, aphorist- thanks!
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

My HDL seems to track with my LDL to some extent. I have a decent amount of HDL now along with elevated "borderline" LDL (I also know that LDL-P is 1566 and small LDL-p is 242).

So from a intervention standpoint, the implication is if I am more worried about AD than cardiovascular function, I would rather keep the high HDL, not worry too much about the LDL, and keep insulin, glucose, A1c, homocysteine to a minimum?
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

Great.

I struggle to get my HDL over 40.

:cry:

I think I saw somewhere that exercise has a strong beneficial effect on HDL.

I've got the diet/supplements/sleep down pretty good.

I had better start focusing more on the exercise, now.
Apoe 3/4
My Website
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Julie, how should we access if our HDL is "functioning" (by a high particle count number, size or maybe both)? My HDL has gone from the 60-70 range when I was a young marathoner to over 100 now, but I think this might represent conquering insulin resistance. In the lower HDL days, I ate tons of whole grain breads. Another factor is estrogen, low as a lean runner, now on supplemental.

Interesting post, aphorist. Like you, I'm on the lysine prevention doses plus I take a short course of valicyclovir if I in conditions likely to stimulate HSV (jet lag, poor sleep, viral illness or stress). If you test HSV IgM +, you might consider Dr. Perlmutter's suggestion of daily valicylovir. Fortunately, I tested negative. Please post your experience should you add the lactoferrin.
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Aphorist,

Trying to get a grasp on this, but I have wondered if Lysine is a supplement that most Apoe4's should be on. I really struggled with repeated viral infections for years, until I started myself on a morning regimen of Monolaurin (lauric acid), supposed to boost the immune system, Lysine (1000 mg) and 1000 mg of Vitamin C (among other vitamins to beat my MTHFR problems). Ever since I started this regimen, I have not been sick once, not with any cold or flu. It's almost 4 years now, so I think its working, and it just blows my mind! No one in my family knows my apoe 3/4 status, but I notice that my family, despite being health conscious individuals, have a propensity for getting sick more frequently than most people. Is there a link? Just wondering if apoe4's have a tendency to get off balance with lysine / arginine ratio, going high with arginine in times of stress / or high arginine diet, and if that is what reactivates the dormant virus (s) in the body. I just know the lysine / monolaurin / vitamin C seem to be doing the trick for me.

Also, it seems the jury is out as far as coconut oil, some here seem to be for it, some against, but doesn't it also increase HDL? I'm really back and forth on if I should use it.

Lu

apoe 3/4
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Aloha

Great post everybody. Julie what is the effect of high HDL with a 3/3? I did not read the whole study. Sandy who is a 3/3, has really high HDL, over 100 like you Julie, but I do not think it is clearing her beta amyloid. I got her C4a down, now the only markers out of line are MSH and TGF beta 1 at 6000. I would say she is not progressing at all. So something is not allowing her amyloid to clear or she has Benson's. Look it up, I am wondering if some of Bredesen's type 3's might actually have Benson's. It usually has more brain atrophy in the posterior portion of the brain. However, like AD can have global or no atrophy at all. It is the visual variant of AD. Incredibly similar symptoms as type 3, but with clear visual issues as one of the primary factors. However these also overlap with AD patients, who can have visual- spatial issues as well. Very frustrating to say the least.

Harrison I would agree with your strategy, but try to lower LDL - P some if you can, without having your other markers go south. Hard game that one. Also depends on whose camp your in. Some cardio & lipid guys, not as concerned about LDL-P as others. For some it is primary and must be addressed. But your IR markers are key for sure, keep them in check.

Mahalo Frank
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Lulu wrote:I really struggled with repeated viral infections for years, until I started myself on a morning regimen of Monolaurin (lauric acid), supposed to boost the immune system, Lysine (1000 mg) and 1000 mg of Vitamin C (among other vitamins to beat my MTHFR problems). Ever since I started this regimen, I have not been sick once, not with any cold or flu.
Lu, interesting stuff (and great timing for your post as I sit here with a head cold). After reading aphorist's post I wondered about adding lysine to my stack and was about to do some research today.

I, too, have had problems with catching every virus that goes by. I've decreased the number of colds per year after fixing lots of things including MTHFR, but I still get them, and they really lay me out flat.

How much Monolaurin do you take?
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Hi Susan,

I use the Lauricidin brand, which you take by the scoop. I started out very slowly, just a few pellets and slowly increased the dosage over time to two scoops (this was the company's recommendation). I may not need that much, the serving size is shown to be just one scoop, but my research showed that some people were going as high as 4-5 scoops per day. I settled with 2.

I'm wondering if taking Lauricidin might be a good alternative to taking the coconut oil? Getting most of the benefits, but a lot less fat. 3 grams of fat per serving for the Lauricidin as opposed to 13.5 grams of fat per 1 tblsp. serving of coconut oil. I've tried finding the answer to this question, but haven't found much per my google searches. But for sure, I feel this product has been very effective in boosting my immune system.

Lu