Tramiprosate: a silver bullet for 4/4 carriers?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Tramiprosate: a silver bullet for 4/4 carriers?

Post by Stavia »

Schwartz336 wrote:Yes
for possibly years? The trials are only 1 1/2 years.... not enough numbers or time to show possible rare side effects....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Tramiprosate: a silver bullet for 4/4 carriers?

Post by Orangeblossom »

I notice it says it's being used for people with 4/4 and mild stages AD. Would it possibly be an option therefore to leave it a few years and see how these trials go to get more information about the side effects first? It sounds promising though doesn't it.
Schwartz336
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Schwartz336 »

Certainly waiting is an option and as pointed out the improved version of it has been FDA fast tracked. Of course the risk is that staring later in one's AD life - for we know that the disease starts decades before symptoms begin - would diminish it's impact.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

That is true. A bit of a balancing act, perhaps. Oh, it looks promising. Fingers crossed it doesn't have side effects in the long term, and is helpful.

We can always start lifestyle changes because earlier which may hold off the start of it as well.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I continue to follow this one with interest!

Tramiprosate (homataurine) is a patented version of taurine with a single extra carbon atom in it’s chain. It’s found in dairy and shellfish, especially scallops, mussels, and clams. High amounts of taurine can also be found in the dark meat of turkey and chicken. It’s easily available in supplement form.

This LEF article (with references) outlines the multiple MOAs underlying the nueroprotective effects of taurine. For all we know, the attenuating effect on abeta may be due to stemming an upstream need for it. A recent study using the APP/PS1 transgenic AD mouse model demonstrates that taurine reverses cognitive decline. And, a comparison of metablomics over a 9 year AD conversion period (with a Framingham cohort) suggest taurine may be neuroprotective. See paper here.

Anybody already using taurine? What dose?
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Just been reading, taurine apparently can help also with heart disease and periodontal disease...

What is taurine content in certain foods? Here are a few approximations:

Meat and poultry — 11 to 306 milligram/100 grams wet weight
Seafood — 11 to 827 milligrams/100 grams wet weight
Dairy products — two to eight milligrams/100 milliliters
Breast milk and infant formula — four to seven milligrams/100 milliliters
Up to 3,000 milligrams per day of taurine in supplement form is considered safe. However, more studies are needed to confirm this. Additionally, your body will excrete excess taurine through the kidneys.

Also-

According to the FDA, healthy adults are able to synthesize taurine from sulfur-containing amino acids, such as cysteine and methionine. This makes taurine a conditionally essential nutrient, but newborns and those who may be in certain disease states may require dietary supplementation.

I wonder if APOE4s have a problem with making taurine or something? that would tie in with this.
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

I'm already using taurine. When trying to find a solution for my sons migraines, I figured out he and I have variants to make it harder to break down glutamine. I tried taurine as a countermeasure. I had always woken up with a low grade headache (or a migraine if I didn't drink water during night). Taurine fixed that. I take 500mg to 1000mg at night. More if I worked out really hard.

AD is associated with too much glutamine/glutamate.

S
E3/E4
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

[quote="sarahb12"]I'm already using taurine. When trying to find a solution for my sons migraines, I figured out he and I have variants to make it harder to break down glutamine. I tried taurine as a countermeasure. I had always woken up with a low grade headache (or a migraine if I didn't drink water during night). Taurine fixed that. I take 500mg to 1000mg at night. More if I worked out really hard.

AD is associated with too much glutamine/glutamate. Also, some metabolic processes use up taurine, such as infections, so people can get low

S
E3/E4
Schwartz336
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Schwartz336 »

Very interesting.
I'm not aware of any studies utilizing taurine to intervene in the downward trajectory of AD in ApoE4 carriers. Only homotaurine/tramiprosate.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

sarahb12 wrote:I figured out he and I have variants to make it harder to break down glutamine.
Sarah, do you have the snps handy?