Tramiprosate: a silver bullet for 4/4 carriers?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Tramiprosate: a silver bullet for 4/4 carriers?

Post by sarahb12 »

I can't seem to find it now. Originally I had Google on stuff about snps correlating with migraines & found a site that showed 7 or 8, then I proceeded to look up my son's and what each one did to see if it was something we could influence. Now when I googled, I see 25-45snps correlated - which is too intimidating.

I think there is more to it than that for me, because I seem to remember it wasn't that rare, but my reactions to things with glutamate (and my familýs) seem out of the norm. We were all sensitive to MSG, I avoided foods with msg decades before i knew there was msg in things like cheetos. Gelatin, etc, too. And I only have 1 copy, whereas my son has 2.

S
E3/E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Thanks, someday, I might go down that rabbit hole...if I do, I'll come back and share.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Very interesting.
I'm not aware of any studies utilizing taurine to intervene in the downward trajectory of AD in ApoE4 carriers. Only homotaurine/tramiprosate.
Me neither; not E4s specifically, but lots of hints in a mouse model that taurine reverses cognitive decline and abeta. Here's a recent paper that finds low levels of taurine in humans that convert to AD. I wish I could see this dataset broken down by APOE genotype.

Association of amine biomarkers with incident dementia and Alzheimer's disease in the Framingham Study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28602601
Abstract
INTRODUCTION:
The identification of novel biomarkers associated with Alzheimer's disease (AD) could provide key biological insights and permit targeted preclinical prevention. We investigated circulating metabolites associated with incident dementia and AD using metabolomics.
METHODS:
Plasma levels of 217 metabolites were assessed in 2067 dementia-free Framingham Offspring Cohort participants (mean age = 55.9 ± 9.7 years; 52.4% women). We studied their associations with future dementia and AD risk in multivariate Cox models.
RESULTS:
Ninety-three participants developed incident dementia (mean follow-up = 15.6 ± 5.2 years). Higher plasma anthranilic acid levels were associated with greater risk of dementia (hazard ratio [HR] = 1.40; 95% confidence interval [CI] = [1.15-1.70]; P = 8.08 × 10-4). Glutamic acid (HR = 1.38; 95% CI = [1.11-1.72]), taurine (HR = 0.74; 95% CI = [0.60-0.92]), and hypoxanthine (HR = 0.74; 95% CI = [0.60-0.92]) levels also showed suggestive associations with dementia risk.
DISCUSSION:
We identified four biologically plausible, candidate plasma biomarkers for dementia. Association of anthranilic acid implicates the kynurenine pathway, which modulates glutamate excitotoxicity. The associations with hypoxanthine and taurine strengthen evidence that uric acid and taurine may be neuroprotective.
Hmmm, lower levels of both taurine and hypoxanthine, a precursor of uric acid, seemed to be associated with increased risk of developing dementia, kinda connects some of the chatter on uric acid in this thread.
Schwartz336
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Schwartz336 »

Theory is interesting - I'll still stay with that which we have data on.
It's been shown that Tramiprosate changes the downward course of AD. So far nothing else has demonstrated this ( except perhaps micro dose Lithium).
Harvey Schwartz MD
Heterozygote Dave
New User
New User

I am apoe 3/4 Hetero-zygote with alzheimer's taking Homotaurine

Post by Heterozygote Dave »

Hi All,

I am a 60 year old male apoe 3/4 Hetero-zygote with family history of Alzheimer's (Mother's Brother did not know where he was or who anybody was at 70). I am 6'3 200 lbs, in excellent shape, vegetarian, run hard once a week. B- blood. 99% European descent.

This summer (2020) I progressed to the point that I would lose my thought in mid sentence. I could "see" my subject / thought fading down a hole and then it was gone no matter how hard I tried to retrieve / recall it. All the subject changing in the world could not save me at that point.

I had read about apoe4 being one of the markers for a worse outcome with covid-19 which spurred my memory of my personal apoe 3/4 from 23&me raw data. Research led me to the current Phase 3 trial.

I ordered Homo-taurine online and began a 150ml dose immediately on way home from PO ( the dose in original 2003 Phase 3). Normally I tolerate supplements well. Here within an hour I puked my empty guts out. The next day I took one 50 ml tablet after brunch and another after dinner. Repeated the next day. Can feel some upset stomach and nausea that passes quickly.

By the third day I was "High" and agitated but clear headed. Every thought that I had forgotten suddenly raced back all at once. I found myself racing around other cars on the freeway and generally acting like a 16 year old. Beyond the above, I was madly pacing the floor and hyperactive. I could feel the waves of energy surging through me and childhood memories flooded my thoughts throughout the day.

By the fourth day I recognized the feeling of caffeine overdose where you are jittery and could jump out of your skin at the slightest provocation. I began bickering with business associates and was generally out of control (again like I was 16). I did not take the second dose on forth day and did not take another dose for 1 week. By the third deprived day, the foregoing side effects had begun to subside. But I was 'High' like effervescent Champagne makes me feel for 6 days.

I ran hard on the sixth day and seem to be free of all side effects. I took on 50ml yesterday (7th day) and had no side effects. I will stay on a once a week 50ml for immediate future. I am not nauseated but have absolutely no interest in food. I am force feeding myself, eating twice daily and trimming fat.

My memory is back, if I lose a thought I can find it. I have had entire days where I did not lose one thought. My mental function seems to be at the highest level in years. I can feel the difference in my body and brain chemistry. Lifelong Inflammation in my colon has improved incrementally to the point of almost no symptoms.

I have rare, low percentage genes all across the promethease DNA application with many at 1% or less of Caucasian of European descent. I will do all I can to help any interested parties.

Sincerely D
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: I am apoe 3/4 Hetero-zygote with alzheimer's taking Homotaurine

Post by Tincup »

Heterozygote Dave wrote:I had read about apoe4 being one of the markers for a worse outcome with covid-19 which spurred my memory of my personal apoe 3/4 from 23&me raw data. Research led me to the current Phase 3 trial.

I ordered Homo-taurine online and began a 150ml dose immediately on way home from PO ( the dose in original 2003 Phase 3). Normally I tolerate supplements well. Here within an hour I puked my empty guts out. The next day I took one 50 ml tablet after brunch and another after dinner. Repeated the next day. Can feel some upset stomach and nausea that passes quickly.
Hi Dave,

Welcome!! Thanks for your interesting post. I may try some out of curiosity.
Julie G wrote:Anybody already using taurine? What dose?
Julie, never saw this 3 years ago. I've used 2 g/day of taurine powder for ~16 years as part of my afib remission strategy.

Effect of homotaurine in patients with cognitive impairment: results from an Italian observational retrospective study

Homotaurine Induces Measurable Changes of Short Latency Afferent Inhibition in a Group of Mild Cognitive Impairment Individuals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homotaurine
Tincup
E3,E4
Renlets
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I am apoe 3/4 Hetero-zygote with alzheimer's taking Homotaurine

Post by Renlets »

Heterozygote Dave wrote:Hi All,

I am a 60 year old male apoe 3/4 Hetero-zygote with family history of Alzheimer's (Mother's Brother did not know where he was or who anybody was at 70). I am 6'3 200 lbs, in excellent shape, vegetarian, run hard once a week. B- blood. 99% European descent.

Sincerely D
Hi Dave,
Welcome to the Apoe4.info forum, we glad to see you are already engaging and contributing meaningfully to the discussions on the forum. Thank you for sharing your story and extending help to other members on the forum.

I just wanted to take the time to welcome you and point out just a few areas that may be of interest to you or help you navigate the site better. The Primer is our most informative area written by one of our member physicians, with an APOE4 gene. If you haven’t explored it yet, I will encourage you to go through this area for some additional lifestyle guidelines. We also have a How-to-guide that will give you details of how to navigate the site better. For example, it will help you know how to tag people, message them privately on the site or follow already existing discussions. The WIKI is another area full of articles on various topics of interest, and you can use it to research further. I hope these tools come handy as you engage with the information on the site.

Once more welcome, looking forward to more of your engagements on the forum.

Kind regards
RenLets
Heterozygote Dave
New User
New User

Post by Heterozygote Dave »

This is follow up to my Oct 23 2020 post : I am 60 year old APOE 3/4 Hetero-zygote (previously?) with Alzheimer's taking Homotaurine (HT).

March 10 2020: After a month or so pause, I am taking 50Mg HT once every week . I am completely clear and, because it is no longer a problem, I rarely think about my previous cognitive issues. No nausea and no overly aggressive impulses at 50Mg per week. Hard to believe such a small amount is so effective.

I am back to business and hobbies with all the memories still in place, locate-able on demand. From the experience, I believe the small chemistry change in my brain has prevented currents and eddies from "shorting out" through the actual fluid or plaque floating / forming in the fluid. Although I occasionally have a second of confusion, I can quickly recover. It is analogous of a modern auto with water or oil shorting out the computerized electrical systems. One squirt of the correct cleaner in the right place and it runs like new. Now that all is running right, its easy to recognize that there was a steady decrease in performance over time until the brain / car was sputtering under load.

I researched the ALZ-801 case today and see they are off to more testing groups in second quarter of 2021 and that they identified a new brain chemical apparently brought forth by the HT.

I wish everyone the life saving positive outcome I have experienced.
onceuponatime
Contributor
Contributor

Post by onceuponatime »

Wow. Just received my shipment of Homotaurine so THANK YOU for the warnings! I will start slowly (or even wait until after my four week road trip - nothing pleasant about being car sick!). My tabs are 100 mg, though, which is concerning me enough that I think I will wait. Thank you again for your original post and this follow up.

Are you taking other supplementation? I, too, am a 3/4 with concerning cognitive loss with loss first glaringly obvious as I turned 60. Much of it likely earlier onset as the result of four exceedingly stress(read cortisol)-filled years. I follow as much as I can of the regimen including most of the supplements, but find that if I even drop the keto or the intermittent fasting, my symptoms return. Not full blown, but they do rear their ugly heads. So I am really interested to find out if you are using other supplements or find that the homotaurine is sufficient for your needs at this time. Also, if you're managing your diet according to the Bredesen recommendations.
onceuponatime
Contributor
Contributor

Post by onceuponatime »

Oops! Just read the label more closely - the capsules are 100mg but the Homotaurine content is only 50 mg. Phew!