And now, back to the gut and AD

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

And now, back to the gut and AD

Post by SusanJ »

Small study (25 AD and 25 controls), but found broad taxonomical changes in gut bacterial composition, as well as changes in abundance of a number of bacterial groups. Some groups were more abundant in people with Alzheimer's disease and some of which were less abundant. They caution that the AD patients were on meds, and don't know completely the impact of the medications. They point out that their results show that the SSRIs probably don't influence microbiome, however, the impacts of donepezil or rivastigmine, and/or memantine is unknown.

Gut microbiome alterations in Alzheimer’s disease (2017)
In our study, the phylum Firmicutes as a whole, as well as several families, genera, and 61 OTUs classified within Firmicutes were decreased in the AD group. A reduction in Firmicutes has been reported in the microbiome of individuals with type 2 diabetes25 as well as obesity29 (although others have reported increased Firmicutes in obesity24,30). Notably, diabetes and insulin resistance increase the risk of developing AD31,32,33. We have recently reported that insulin resistance is associated with decreased cerebral glucose metabolism and increased amyloid deposition in asymptomatic middle-aged adults enriched for risk of AD34,35. Thus, a potential mechanism by which microbial alterations in the gut may influence AD pathology is through promoting the development of insulin resistance and diabetes. While AD and Control groups did not differ with respect to diabetes prevalence (Table 1), sub-clinical differences in insulin or glucose metabolism cannot be ruled out. Further investigation will be needed to explore the relationship between microbiota and insulin resistance in AD.

In participants with AD, we observed an increase in the phylum Bacteroidetes, which was reflected by increased Bacteroidaceae at the family level, and increased Bacteroides at the OTU and genus level. The phylum Bacteroidetes encompasses a diverse and abundant group of gram-negative commensal bacteria in the gut36, including the genus Bacteroides, which has been detected at higher levels in the gut of individuals with type 2 diabetes25 and in patients with Parkinson’s disease13, a neurodegenerative disorder. The major outer membrane component of gram-negative bacteria is lipopolysaccharide (LPS), which is capable of triggering systemic inflammation and the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines after translocation from the gut to systemic circulation37. Additionally, in vitro and in vivo studies have demonstrated an association between bacterial endotoxins (e.g. LPS) and AD pathology...

Additionally, compared to control participants, AD participants in our study exhibited decreased Actinobacteria. These differences were mostly driven by changes in Bifidobacterium. Actinobacteria, particularly members of the Bifidobacterium genus, are an important bacterial inhabitant of the human gut across the lifespan, and their beneficial health effects have been well-documented46,47. In particular, certain species of Bifidobacterium are associated with anti-inflammatory properties and decreased intestinal permeability48. Additionally, supplementation with Bifidobacterium has been shown to decrease LPS levels in the intestine and improve gut mucosal barrier properties in mice49,50. Interestingly, in germ-free mice colonized with human gut microbiota, increased levels of Bifidobacterium are associated with decreased bacterial translocation to systemic circulation, while increased levels of Bacteroides have been shown to increase bacterial translocation51. Considering our present findings, increased Bacteroides and decreased Bifidobacterium in AD participants may represent a gut microbial phenotype with particular propensity for translocation of pro-inflammatory bacterial components. Furthermore, several Bifidobacterium species are widely used as probiotics. A small study of probiotics that included Bifidobacterium demonstrated a change in Mini-Mental State Examination scores after a 12-week intervention among participants with severe dementia52. Taken together with the decreased abundance of Bifidobacterium in AD participants observed in our study, larger trials may be warranted, particularly in earlier disease stages.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-13601-y
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: And now, back to the gut and AD

Post by Harrison »

I know that the sample size probably wouldn't have allowed it, but it would have been good to know if apoE genotype wasn't a confounding effect. If the n=5 apoE4 carriers looked like the cognitively normal non-carriers, and if the AD cases without apoE4 looked like the E4 AD cases, you could start to identify a phenotype.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Agreed, but I was encouraged that anyone was even looking at microbiome differences.
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Totally agree Harrison. Frustrating, a lot of good studies that just dont take the extra step. Patient compliance is the issue a lot of the times or consistency with patient reporting, but man it would help to be able to see if we could replicate these studies based on genotype, phenotype and gut microbiome. A marker with consistency is a great start.......
Hopefully soon.

Frank
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

Susan, I am definitely encouraged to see this. Henrik Zetterberg is one of the authors and he is a big name in AD research. His "stamp of approval" probably moves this from the fringes to more mainstream acceptance.

Frank, do you have a sense of how reliable using data from something like ubiome would be in applying this kind of information? Or this gut variable enough you would always be chasing an ever-changing mix of gut bacteria?
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I've been eating a large variety of fermented foods for the last year and a half (homemade kraut, kimchee, pickles, kefir water, miso, etc.). I haven't had my stool tested yet but one of my students had his tested a couple of months after starting to create and eat his own ferments (which include yogurt - I don't tolerate dairy). His results came back with 95% biodiversity. I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday and was planning on asking him to order a ubiome test (I've heard that it's less expensive that just doing it ourselves). I'm a 4/4 so I'm interested in the results.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

I know this is an old post but I thought I’d ask a question. I did a stool test and high levels of 4 different types of Bacteroides phylum; B. Vukgatus, Barnesiella app, Odoribactor spp, and Prevotella spp. I also have Sibo. If I treat the Sibo, do you think these levels will drop? What else can I do?
E4/E4