Serotonin, Depression and SSRI Antidepressants

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: SSRI Antidepressants

Post by MarcR »

Orangeblossom wrote:exercise, sun, eating foods rich in tryptophan, or 5HTP supplements from he seeds of an African plant known as Griffonia simplicifolia, or St John's Wort [...] Marc I wonder if any of these things may help your wife as she comes of her medication?
Thanks for your concern, Orangeblossom.

After realizing that the start of her Prozac prescription in 1996 on her doctor's whim coincided with 20 years of ever-increasing migraine frequency, she adopted a much more conservative and skeptical approach. Exercise, sun, and nutritious foods, many of which contain essential amino acids like tryptophan, are in. Psychiatric drugs and supplements like Prozac, 5-HTP, griffonia, and SJW are out.

She knew she was on the right course after her monthly migraine frequency dropped from 10-15 to 1-3 two months after cessation. The persistent reduction in migraine symptoms confirmed her intuition that Prozac had damaged her brain, and the improvement motivated her to endure the constellation of withdrawal-related symptoms - crawling skin, brain zaps, general anxiety, insomnia, and anhedonia. 15 months in, the strange neurological symptoms have diminished markedly, anxiety visits only briefly and infrequently, and the insomnia is tolerable. It's clear that anhedonia will be the last terrible symptom standing. It comes and goes capriciously within each day, and its overall ebb can be seen clearly only on the scale of months.

The ongoing improvements indicate clearly that her nervous system is healing and adapting, so she's waiting the symptoms out while making the most of the symptom-free blocks of time. Unfortunately, this is much easier for me to say than for her to bear - anhedonia feels eternal and immutable when it's present.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I'm sorry to hear she's had the migraines with it. Yes I had horrible electric shock type (brain zap) feelings when I stopped it completely but thinking I may have cut down too quickly- it seems OK with every second day at the moment. It must be hard being stuck between taking it and getting the migraines, and stopping it and getting the side effects. It is difficult for those around as well as it can feel like you are not able to help much with it.

I wonder if another one would be better and not bring the migraines on? But understand if she is wary of trying more. I also have a very small dose of amitryptilline (old style anti d) for nerve pain and that can make you quite drowsy. I have cut that down as well and only taking a tiny bit when needed in the evenings.

I wonder if the Citalopram used in the article is still in patent, or not? i understand what you mean about being wary of these drug companies having a vested interest in showing these might work. We need to be sceptical about their motives too. I'm aware i'm hoping for myself the same thing which helped me with my depression might help in a similar way in the future in case of AD. We all look for hope I guess. It is hard for me to know something which helps me so much with depression might mke things worse in the future. So I know I'm trying to reassure myself in a way. As coming off them totally would probably not be a good idea in my case. No just due to the side effects but because it could mean I relapsed.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

This 2014 paper from Harvard's Irving Kirsch provides additional information about how SSRIs work:

Full text: Antidepressants and the Placebo Effect
Abstract
Antidepressants are supposed to work by fixing a chemical imbalance, specifically, a lack of serotonin in the brain. Indeed, their supposed effectiveness is the primary evidence for the chemical imbalance theory. But analyses of the published data and the unpublished data that were hidden by drug companies reveals that most (if not all) of the benefits are due to the placebo effect. Some antidepressants increase serotonin levels, some decrease it, and some have no effect at all on serotonin. Nevertheless, they all show the same therapeutic benefit. Even the small statistical difference between antidepressants and placebos may be an enhanced placebo effect, due to the fact that most patients and doctors in clinical trials successfully break blind. The serotonin theory is as close as any theory in the history of science to having been proved wrong. Instead of curing depression, popular antidepressants may induce a biological vulnerability making people more likely to become depressed in the future.
And more recently (Oct 2017), from Vanda Faria, another Harvard scientist:

Do You Believe It? Verbal Suggestions Influence the Clinical and Neural Effects of Escitalopram in Social Anxiety Disorder: A Randomized Trial.

The link is full text; here's a brief excerpt from the lengthy abstract:
Interpretation
The clinical and neural effects of escitalopram were markedly influenced by verbal suggestions. This points to a pronounced placebo component in SSRI-treatment of SAD and favors a biopsychosocial over a biomedical explanatory model for SSRI efficacy.
And finally, here is full text of Kirsch's Faria study commentary, which persuasively notes that causality and not mere correlation was established:

Response Expectancy and the Response to Antidepressant Medication
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Yes, I understand about the placebo affect, there is an excellent book called "Cure" which is very interesting and all about belief and placebo and how they can actually have effects - I would recommend that, too. https://wordery.com/cure-jo-marchant-97 ... FkQAvD_BwE

Functional medicine can also have a placebo affect as well, it seems, in some people.

It is totally understandable that verbal cues may also help with depression, just as CBT does (cognitive behavioural therapy). Most doctors recommend meds alongside talking therapies such as that, and other things like exercise.

There are also studies showing SSRI's only seems to work in people with more severe depression than others. It is a complex picture. In my case it enabled me, along with other things, primarily exercise and diet changes I made along with the meds, to compete university, and do postgraduate studies. After taking it for many years, I just did the online cognitive function tests mentioned on the forum and came out above average for my age, so it doesn't seem to have affected that, yet anyway. I can only really go by my own experience on that.

My doctors have always been frank with me that these meds won't work on their own, but can be used alongside other things such as CBT and exercise and this things are just as important.

Other anti-ds are also used in pain management and are useful there. Such as amitryptilline which helps me with nerve damage from a past shingles episode. they seem to work by affecting the way the brain processes pain and this is not a placebo affect for me, it makes a big difference, and I know the days I have not taken it. Even small amounts much less than used for depression help with this. https://www.mayoclinic.org/pain-medicat ... t-20045647 This is why I suggested possibly another med may help someone with pain issues.

I feel we are going a bit off topic onto the placebo affect, however. I am more concerned about nerve damage from anti-ds in terms of cognitive decline and AD.

I have tried looking online about nerve damage caused by SSRIs and see it is mainly about how the receptors are thought to decline after use of them. However the evidence given was from using Ecstacy drug in rats. Which is much stronger and also not in humans. So to go from that to SSRIs in humans is a big jump. If there is more evidence for SSRIs causing such damage to the nerves please can you point me to the research studies, thanks. It will be important for people to know if they are taking them too.

This is the kind of thing I found when I looked, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... brain.html Unfortunately that article is misleading, for example it mentions tarditive dyskinesia which is usually only a side affect of antipsychotics but it does not clarify that, and makes it seem as if it is from the SSRIs too. Other article I found were similar and mostly written by those who had bad experience themselves, after expecting anti-ds by themselves to cure them, and were often anti- psychiatry in general, such as this links to this site, "Toxic psychiatry" http://www.toxicpsychiatry.com When I explored some of the reseach there, I found it confusing as the articles linked to often did not back up the statements made. For example there was a mention of damage and adaptation in the brain to the affect of antidepressants but the link was about an article which had found increased density in neurons in people taking them long term. See here for example https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-peter ... 77185.html Also they tend to describe the neurogenesis I mentioned previously as 'abnormal cell growth' and damage too. That article sounds very alarming, but when I look at the links, for example when it says 'This leads to a loss in serotonin receptors which can reach 60 percent" it links to this article http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1 ... %2BZKe8%3D which basically concludes more research is needed and it is not as conclusive as the 'factual' information given, at all. It uses words such as 'indicated' or 'may' so I don't understand how he can reach conclusions from that sort of information.

It is interesting that the SSRI's do seem to cause some changes in the brain such as hypertrophy (growth in size) of the serotonin receptors if they just have a placebo affect, as well.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

In terms if heart disease and SSRI's this is an interesting paper (authors have no competing interests) which builds on the correlation between SSRI's and link to less adverse heart events.

The mechanisms by which antidepressants may reduce coronary heart disease risk.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4522054/

Interesting about insulin sensitivity. Yes, while on prozac when I had tests my HBAC1 was low and also HDL cholesterol high. (before going onto low carb I mean)

"The metabolic links between CHD and SSRI’s are most likely mediated by the effect of increased BDNF levels after SSRI treatment [51, 52]. SSRI’s also have an effect on insulin like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) which is low in children using SSRI’s [70] and interruption of SSRI treatment leads to increased serum levels thereof [71]. Increased insulin sensitivity, which has been noted in patients who have remitted depression using SSRI’s [72], could also serve to positively affect serum glucose levels."

It is known that antidepressants such as SSRI’s can mediate the symptoms of depression [88] and impact the biomarkers of CHD in such a manner that would appear to be positive in terms of CHD risk (Fig. 4). Again the magnitude of this effect is evident in the potential reduction in CHD risk due to SSRI’s use in a depressed population initially without CHD [7].

"In an observational study of 93,653 patients with depression, without CHD, it was found that patients, who had 12 or more weeks of antidepressant treatment, had a RR for CHD of 0.48 (0.44 to 0.52) compared to patients not treated. When using our risk presentation this equates to a possible 2.08-fold reduction in CHD risk. The observational nature of this study must be noted and conclusions on treatment cannot be directly drawn from these results. The results may allude to primary prevention of CHD due to SSRI use in the depressed [7]."
Last edited by Orangeblossom on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

The citalopram study linked to by Julie was done by the Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) http://adni.loni.usc.edu

"The Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) unites researchers with study data as they work to define the progression of Alzheimer’s disease. ADNI researchers collect, validate and utilize data such as MRI and PET images, genetics, cognitive tests, CSF and blood biomarkers as predictors for the disease. Data from the North American ADNI’s study participants, including Alzheimer’s disease patients, mild cognitive impairment subjects and elderly controls, are available from this site."

do you know about this (in USA I think) and if they are legit or related to the drug companies in any way? It didn't seem so from their site but I was unsure. The full paper was not available so i couldn't read what it had to say about competing interests..
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Last edited by Orangeblossom on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Marc wrote:"confirmed her intuition that Prozac had damaged her brain".
Please can you provide me with information that prozac damages nerves and the brain, Marc, if possible, as this has me worried. :? As a Mod on the forum I take what you say seriously.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

This is odd. Just seen on my genetic report I have two short alleles of a serotonin transporter gene which is linked with conditions such as depression. and may mean less serotonin. That makes sense, for me anyway. I wonder if therefore in people like me we ARE low in serotonin and anti-ds bring us up to a normal level. Whereas others may have problems with too much serotonin. from the meds.

It says - two short-form 5-HTTLPR (serotonin-transporter-linked polymorphic region). In case anyone knows of it.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Orangeblossom wrote:
Marc wrote:"confirmed her intuition that Prozac had damaged her brain".
Please can you provide me with information that prozac damages nerves and the brain, Marc, if possible, as this has me worried. :? As a Mod on the forum I take what you say seriously.
The full quote is "The persistent reduction in migraine symptoms confirmed her intuition that Prozac had damaged her brain." In other words, she believes that Prozac use increased migraine frequency because shortly after Prozac cessation her migraine frequency plummeted. Increased migraine frequency = damage.

Also, consider these "withdrawal-related symptoms - crawling skin, brain zaps, general anxiety, insomnia, and anhedonia". Symptoms = damage. Surely you don't think that the brain zaps you experienced when you temporarily discontinued your consumption of the drug are benign? What can they be but signs of damage to your brain? Healthy people don't experience bizarre neurological symptoms, right?

We have strayed pretty far from ApoE4 here in this SSRI thread, and I am reluctant to continue further. I have interjected my perspective only because I want to provide some balance to your narrative suggesting that SSRIs are good for cognitive health. We all have to make up our own minds about that; I just want to be sure that readers are aware of credible sources that dissent from your perspective.