RAB10 - Gene Discovered to Protect Against Alzheimer's in High Risk Population

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
deborahk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deborahk »

Scientist believe that the genetic variant RAB10 could protect 'high risk' groups like ApoE4 from ever getting Alzheimer's. The variant was common among the group of ApoE4 carriers who never got Alzheimer's. It's encouraging because it may provide a new target for research.

The link to the article we just published and the study.
https://www.beingpatient.com/rab10-protective-gene/
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: RAB10 - Gene Discovered to Protect Against Alzheimer's in High Risk Population

Post by Orangeblossom »

Can you find out if you have this from the 23andme test results I wonder?
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: RAB10 - Gene Discovered to Protect Against Alzheimer's in High Risk Population

Post by NewRon »

I put [Rs142787485] into my Promethease and nothing came up. However, if you tested more recently, you may have more luck.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I don't think I have it either, as it came up with no matches when I typed it in the 'gene' box on promethease. But unsure if that is correct way to check it?
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

RAB10 is tested by 23andme, but it doesn’t look like it’s this specific one. I’m hoping that since this is brand spanking new, that soon enough someone will expand on the details so we can look up our data. There was another gene mentioned as well, SARA1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
pguyer807
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pguyer807 »

I️ found rs13388915 as a SNP for RAB10 on self decode? Could this be it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

SARA is my real name ;-)
Kathleen1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Kathleen1 »

The RAB10 snp mentioned in the article was rs142787485. The SARA was rs7653. Neither showed up in my raw data from 23&me. There are lots of RAB10 snps in my raw data, but I could not find out if any were co-located with the above. I think Brigham Young University patented their methods for extraction of the two snps prior to releasing their publication.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Yeah, V3 and V4 of 23andMe don't test for that SNP, I can report. But not sure about V5 (which is ery new).
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I haven't got those either. If I look under the APOE section there is something linked but it seemed to say if i had another it may increase risk but mine didn't, (I think)