RAB10 - Gene Discovered to Protect Against Alzheimer's in High Risk Population

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RAB10 - Gene Discovered to Protect Against Alzheimer's in High Risk Population

Post by J11 »

Wow!
This is great news!

We have one family member who hit the 7485 RAB10 SNP.
Snpedia was on this about a year ago.

Anyone know how one might convert the rs number to the amino acid position?
The Genos vcf did not provide rs numbers.
Errr.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RAB10 - Gene Discovered to Protect Against Alzheimer's in High Risk Population

Post by J11 »

Hmm, that is unbelievably frustrating!

Another exome file ends 300 bp before the SNP.
The cheaper exome did not include the utr.
There is no obvious way that one could figure out what the genotype should be.
RedNailz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RedNailz »

I’m sure my dad has this, or another, protective gene. He is at minimum heterozygous for E4 and has several suspected risk factors for AD. At nearly 83 he has no cognitive decline, even after having anesthesia twice this year. There is no history of AD or other forms of dementia in his family.

I haven’t checked to see if I have the RAB10 variant. I’m not sure I will. :?
4/4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I'm confused as on Prometheus if you look inner genes there are lots of RAB genes but can't find RAB10. Does that mean I just don't have the gene? Or is it a variant you need to have? :?

I don't really know how to search it for a snp after going through the tutorial.

Good to hear about the family members having it, that must be a good feeling!
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Orangeblossum, the Promethease report will include the SNP if the variant is found in your gene chip file.
However, the 7485 SNP is not on the 23andme v3 or possibly other versions, so the report will likely not be
able to make this determination.

I find it quite frustrating that this was first reported at ICAD 2016 (almost a year and a half ago) and there continues to be
uncertainty whether the SNP is truly protective. 60 million Americans carry at least one epsilon 4 allele and 1-2 million of them
would carry the protective RAB10 SNP. We really need to be better! A relatively small sample of those with both genotypes should be
able to resolve the question once and for all (perhaps not even a few hundred). For those 1-2 million people such information would
be of substantial importance.
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

I've had mine done with v1, v2, &v3. It didn't have Rs142787485
E3/E4
happy50
New User
New User

Post by happy50 »

Hello, I do have the Rs142787485 but the A:A variant which seems to have low impact.
emmabarton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by emmabarton »

happy50 wrote:Hello, I do have the Rs142787485 but the A:A variant which seems to have low impact.
Hi happy50-- it's your first post! Thanks for participating in the conversation. I also looked up the A/A gene variant and I found only what you suggested: it appears that only G/G or A/G alone offer some protective quality against AD. However, all of this science is so new-- it's going to take some time before we can be confident about how/why/when gene expression will positively or negatively impacts our lives. Thank goodness for this community-- and especially for the people willing to participate in the discussions and share their experiences. That being said, I wanted to make sure to express my gratitude directly to you for sharing, as well as formally welcome you!

I'm not sure how long you've been following the ApoE4.info site, but I thought I'd share a bit about some of the lovely features of this community. If you haven't read through the Primer, I highly recommend it. It was written by a E4/E4 community member (Stavia) whom is also a medical doctor. The primer offers very detailed information about the Apoe4 polymorphism, etc. while maintaining a casual, consumer-friendly lens for visitors new to this sort of information. If you are looking for very specific information, I would suggest you check out the wiki page. For me, the wiki page is my go-to for precise questions I might have about Alzheimer's Disease, lifestyle suggestions, and treatment paths. Finally, please consider checking out the Our Stories forum-- and maybe consider contributing so we can learn a little more about you? The entire ApoE4.info site is rich with quality information, but the loveliest quality of this site is the authentically warm and connected community--into which I'm honored to welcome you!

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions going forward. It's great to have you here!

Light and peace,
Emma
healing happens in relationship
happy50
New User
New User

Post by happy50 »

Thank you Emma for your warm welcome and suggestions. I am Apoe e3/e4 and when getting to know this it hit me in the face. Thanks to this website I see more nuance in my situation and frankly I am optimistic for the future. At the same time I hope that science will come up with an answer to the development of AD soon .