Obesity FTO gene linked with AD

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Obesity FTO gene linked with AD

Post by circular »

Oh, possible independent link with ApoE4 to collude and bring about AD. Anyone for an MRI with Neuroquant to know where you stand? :shock:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Here is what it says on Wikepedia about it: there are some links.

Association with Alzheimer's disease

Recent studies revealed that carriers of common FTO gene polymorphisms show both a reduction in frontal lobe volume of the brain[48] and an impaired verbal fluency performance.[49] Fittingly, a population-based study from Sweden found that carriers of the FTO rs9939609 A allele have an increased risk for incident Alzheimer disease.[50]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTO_gene

And yes it is also known as the Fatso gene :roll:

Only around 15% have the double dose of it like me, so most people should be OK.

I'm hoping it can be mediated with eating less, in that the main effects are possibly metabolic so to do with eating more as a result, rather than anything else. That is something which can be controlled, even if it is harder for some than others.

I find the same things you mention helpful, also finding 16:8 fasting really helpful. I think I will definitely continue it. Being a person who could never have a little bit of something, it seems to help me having nothing at all for a 16 hr period. And it seems to make me less hungry later, too. Which doesn't link with what I have read about in fasted subjects, the gene was expressed more. Oh not sure. It is probably not that simple. Leptin and ghrelin I read, are involved in hunger. I had a definite change when first went into ketosis of being less hungry in my mind and more in my tummy, so getting pangs but not as bothered by them.
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

I’m late to the conversation but FTO variants popped up on my radar today. I’ve read studies until my eyes are crossing. (I’m a poli sci girl trying to understand all the medical language!)

I have several of the variants that put me at risk, as well as being 4/4. I seem to be heterozygous in most of the risk snps, which I guess helps somewhat. Still, I was looking forward to relaxing a bit on my dieting (I’ve been laser focused for almost a year now, and a clean-ish diet for several years before that.) Now it seems my plans are out the window, I need to lower my BMI further and tweak my diet plans further. (I’m currently sitting at 24%.)

I’ve been following a low carb high saturated fat plan for the last ten months. Now the research seems to say I need high protein low saturated fat, as one of my variants puts me at high LDL. Also one larger study I read pointed to high protein low saturated fat as lower BMI for FTO gene carriers. The issue also seems to be in thermogenesis being suppressed in specific carriers.

Soooo...talk to me about high protein low saturated fat. Does this mean my beloved eggs and avocados are out? Coconut oil is out I assume. I use olive oil but I guess I’ll need to increase that. I’m trying to find reputable sources to read and finding nothing but pop culture magazines and similar sites.
APOE4/4
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

I just posted a similar question in the thread "confused about saturated fat," as I'm in the same predicament. Maybe someone will answer that, and it will help you too.
ApoE 3/4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I have these FTO variants but not keen to give up in sat fats as seems to keep my HDL high, also find with a low carb higher fat type med diet I crave sugars and sweet food much less. Tricky to know what to do about it really. Also with such a diet and intermittent fasting, I lose weight. Maybe it is an individual thing. The main overall thing I find helpful I think is 16:8 fasting, (I skip early breakfast and try and exercise early before an early lunch).
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Orangeblossom wrote:I have these FTO variants but not keen to give up in sat fats as seems to keep my HDL high...
Have you tried a high fat but low saturated fat diet and tested your HDL; ie, you know that it's the saturated fat keeping it high? I ask because my HDL went up on a higher fat, keto diet that's low in saturated fat. Not sure if it's as high as yours, or even what the goal is, but in my experience so far it seems to be the fat content of the diet generally rather than the saturated fat content specifically.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

circular wrote:
Orangeblossom wrote:I have these FTO variants but not keen to give up in sat fats as seems to keep my HDL high...
Have you tried a high fat but low saturated fat diet and tested your HDL; ie, you know that it's the saturated fat keeping it high? I ask because my HDL went up on a higher fat, keto diet that's low in saturated fat. Not sure if it's as high as yours, or even what the goal is, but in my experience so far it seems to be the fat content of the diet generally rather than the saturated fat content specifically.

Not really as I wish to keep the things like greek yoghurt, eggs. dark choc and milk and cheese in my diet anyway, so I tested a year apart to see. My main concern was high LDL but that is fine so going to continue. But as you say that could be an option. I think I have reduced it since last year and it isn't really high, just bits of cheese now and again, some yoghurt most days, combined with things like olive oil, avocado...quite different from a LCHF paleo diet for example. I could do but not sure if I want to ;)