New evidence suggests the Alzheimer's epidemic is set to EXPLODE

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

New evidence suggests the Alzheimer's epidemic is set to EXPLODE

Post by Julie G »

STUNNING new evidence suggests that close to 50 million Americans could be in the early stages leading to Alzheimer’s disease right now, according to a new forecast out of UCLA. And 6 million people likely have it now. (Five million + is the stat typically used.) You can see the press release here.

I was very interested in the parameters the biostatisticians used to make this prediction, but was unable to get full text of the paper:
Forecasting the prevalence of preclinical and clinical Alzheimer's disease in the United States
http://www.alzheimersanddementia.com/ar ... 3813-X/pdf
Highlights
•Forecasted preclinical and clinical Alzheimer's disease (AD) in the United States using multistate model.
•Most persons living with AD brain pathology do not have clinical disease.
•Fifteen million persons in the United States will be living with mild cognitive impairment due to AD or clinical AD by 2060.
•Primary and secondary preventions have differential impacts on future disease burden.
Abstract
Introduction
We forecast the prevalence of preclinical and clinical Alzheimer's disease (AD) and evaluated potential impacts of primary and secondary preventions in the United States.

Methods
We used a multistate model incorporating biomarkers for preclinical AD with US population projections.

Results
Approximately 6.08 million Americans had either clinical AD or mild cognitive impairment due to AD in 2017 and that will grow to 15.0 million by 2060. In 2017, 46.7 million Americans had preclinical AD (amyloidosis, neurodegeneration, or both), although many may not progress to clinical disease during their lifetimes. Primary and secondary preventions have differential impact on future disease burden.

Discussion
Because large numbers of persons are living with preclinical AD, our results underscore the need for secondary preventions for persons with existing AD brain pathology who are likely to develop clinical disease during their lifetimes as well as primary preventions for persons without preclinical disease.
This certainly underscores the importance of the lifestyle factors we advocate- understatement :shock:. It's all we got for now. It's stunning to see that the datatset used in this paper included folks as young as thirty. The sooner folks begin practicing neuroprotective strategies, the better their chances of avoiding the disease. It's becoming clear that our fight is everyone's fight.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New evidence suggests the Alzheimer's epidemic is set to EXPLODE

Post by Orangeblossom »

Well, presumably the rates of APOE4 are not rising, are they in the population so it must be lifestyle factors?
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

... wait... this just in... now there is further evidence that the Alzheimer's epidemic is about to COLLAPSE. My sister said she talked to a physician who was about to go to Bredesen training. 2nd time that's happened via someone I know. I didn't see Prius' by chance this frequently when they first came out. The good news may be spreading faster than we might think?!?!

I know, I know, I'm always the optimist, but good reason to hope that as people begin to consider lifestyle choices, we not only see a correction to the Alzheimer's curve, but also other conditions that have a common root in fundamental things like insulin resistance. Surely not going to change overnight, but seeds of change may already be underway?

Russ
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
HomesteadGal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HomesteadGal »

I wonder how many people will take an interest, though, in their future brain health. Even with prevention and early intervention now becoming available for those at risk for AD (i.e. everyone with a brain), human nature rules the health of the nation. Not my beloved science. Smokers gonna smoke, obese diabetics gonna eat biscuits while they get their toes amputated...I am not that optimistic about the masses making any changes. They really want a pill for that.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Russ wrote:I know, I know, I'm always the optimist, but good reason to hope that as people begin to consider lifestyle choices, we not only see a correction to the Alzheimer's curve, but also other conditions that have a common root in fundamental things like insulin resistance. Surely not going to change overnight, but seeds of change may already be underway?
HomesteadGal wrote:I wonder how many people will take an interest, though, in their future brain health. Even with prevention and early intervention now becoming available for those at risk for AD (i.e. everyone with a brain), human nature rules the health of the people who have enough money to buy their choices. Alzheimer's cure sweeping the nation? Orangeblossom is right about lifestyle factors. Smokers gonna smoke, obese diabetics gonna eat biscuits while they get their toes amputated...I am not that optimistic about the masses making any changes. They really want a pill for that.

I think I’m halfway between Russ and HomesteadGal

When left to their own devices, smokers are going to smoke, diabetics are going to eat sweets, but I think if a critical mass grew, there would be a sea change. If enough people demanded healthy foods and environmental factors, if enough doctors emphasized lifestyle, if the government would change the nutritional standards… Yes, it’s a BIG effort, but people want to be with the crowd and people want to do the right thing for their health, they just need to be educated to recognize what really is healthy and start demanding it. If we get enough to start demanding, imagine the possibilities!

I think peer pressure is one of the reasons why smoking levels have gone down. Intellectually people understood smoking was bad for them, but it was when co-workers, friends, and children pleaded with them to stop and treated them like pariahs by making them smoke outside, they became motivated.

Many people feed their children sweet things, processed foods, etc. because they don’t know better. We as a society eat fast food because it’s there. But if people understood the damage, if they felt other people’s eyes on them, they wouldn’t feed their child that doughnut (or at least maybe not in public) and fast food menus would change. Coke is experiencing a drop in sales of its soft drink due to consumers shifting away from sweet drinks and artificial sweeteners, so Coke is diversifying to bottled water, tea, and vitamin drinks. Already there are some grocery stores with a "sugar-free" check-out lane.

I think the key to change lies with sugar. Sugar has been dubbed the new smoking, let’s hope this really is true and gains legs. We need a sugar uprising. Right now people share these horrendous sugar filled recipes on facebook, they feel no shame in this, there needs to be shame. When mom suggests going to Starbucks, we need our teenage daughter to tell us, “No mom, all they sell is sugar bombs!” When the office or church throws a potluck party, we need the e-mail to say, “Please, no sugar filled desserts.” (BTW, we go to a low-carb potluck dinner at a friend’s home and bring flax seed bread, it’s slightly sweet because of a little stevia and cinnamon, but not overly, so it can be done! Our friend started this low carb potluck tradition for folks who were interested in eating better but didn’t know how/what to cook could learn and share recipes/health lessons.)

We all love sugar (me too!) because when we eat something sweet (natural or artificial) we want more, it’s addicting. But, if like smoking, our attitudes demonized sugar, if availability went down, if visual temptations went down, if sugar consumption lowered dramatically, insulin resistance would go down. If insulin resistance went down, cancer, T2 diabetes, strokes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, all sorts of ailments would go down.

A close family member is currently dealing with a glioblastoma (brain cancer) diagnosis. He recently had a clean post-surgery/chemo/radiation scan. But glios love glucose and will aggressively reappear with glucose. He is only 30 years old, if he ate a strict ketogenic diet (stricter than the Dr Bredesen levels), he could potentially live a healthy life for many, many years. But since this diagnosis I’ve heard story after story of a glioblastoma patient doing well for a few years but then having a tough time with the diet, falling off the wagon and passing shortly thereafter. My heart grieves for the challenges he faces in life at the office, grocery store, family gatherings, facebook, etc. because the temptations for sugar are everywhere.

Okay, enough soapbox rambling. Thanks for letting me vent.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Theresa, so true. If we can turn the tide on sugar, it will be a big victory. Big ship to turn, but a worthy effort. We can all start "local" with friends and family like you guys have - it has a multiplier effect not only on what people eat, but what stores stock. So true when I think about what I can now find in my little, rural Safeway. Slow but steady might just win the race. Or at least make a dent.
TheresaB wrote:We need a sugar uprising.

You're now my favorite sugar troll on Facebook. ;)
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

not to mention that the worst foods are the least expensive, and vice versa...due to government subsidies?
Slacker
E4/E4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I read recently, a main way they helped reverse smoking was the ad campaign and the scary messages, including pictures of diseased lungs and the like, along with the costs and it become more socially unacceptable. It being banned inside and people having to go outside as well (in the UK anyway). But this was helped with funds which is not available for e.g. junk food.

Yes, we also have the cost issue with junk food here in UK also. They have tried a tax on sugar / fizzy drinks but they failed to extend it more recently, I think. I'm sure it contributes a lot to the problem. I have noticed much more general awareness of sugar being a problem, though and things like Stevia are more readily available.

Theresa, yes, I think it is brain tumours which seem to benefit more than other cancers from a ketogenic diet. :|
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Orangeblossom wrote:Theresa, yes, I think it is brain tumours which seem to benefit more than other cancers from a ketogenic diet.
Brain cancers are certainly is where most of the research resides, largely in thanks to the work of Dr Thomas Seyfreid and Dr Dominic D’Agostino. But this perception is a problem in that it is leading to myopia. Folks think it’s only for brain cancers, when ketogenic diets can benefit many types of cancers. Dr Nasha Winters writes in her book The Metabolic Approach to Cancer,
“It is a myth that the ketogenic diet only helps brain cancers. All cancers except prostate, mucinous adenoma of colon, broncoalveolar lung cancer, and thyroid cancer are highly glucose dependent.”
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

note of caution: Stavia reported a case study from the NZ ancestral health meeting this year of a woman being treated with ketogenic diet whose cancer grew more rapidly than expected. Possibly no cause and affect but still worth pondering and being sure that we don't oversimplify.

The post is in here somewhere :?
Slacker
E4/E4