Effect of Canola Oil on Brain

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Jaque
Contributor
Contributor

Effect of Canola Oil on Brain

Post by Jaque »

Effect of canola oil consumption on memory, synapse and neuropathology in the triple transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease
Elisabetta Lauretti & Domenico Praticò
Scientific Reports 7, Article number: 17134 (2017)
doi:10.1038/s41598-017-17373-3
Abstract:
In recent years consumption of canola oil has increased due to lower cost compared with olive oil and the perception that it shares its health benefits. However, no data are available on the effect of canola oil intake on Alzheimer’s disease (AD) pathogenesis. Herein, we investigated the effect of chronic daily consumption of canola oil on the phenotype of a mouse model of AD that develops both plaques and tangles (3xTg). To this end mice received either regular chow or a chow diet supplemented with canola oil for 6 months. At this time point we found that chronic exposure to the canola-rich diet resulted in a significant increase in body weight and impairments in their working memory together with decrease levels of post-synaptic density protein-95, a marker of synaptic integrity, and an increase in the ratio of insoluble Aβ 42/40. No significant changes were observed in tau phosphorylation and neuroinflammation. Taken together, our findings do not support a beneficial effect of chronic canola oil consumption on two important aspects of AD pathophysiology which includes memory impairments as well as synaptic integrity. While more studies are needed, our data do not justify the current trend aimed at replacing olive oil with canola oil.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Effect of Canola Oil on Brain

Post by JML »

Hi Jaque,
Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing the report on canola oil in the mice model. I guess I'll just keep consuming my olive oil! We'd love to know more about you--when you are comfortable, you can introduce yourself in the "Our Stories" section here. Just click on "new topic" in the upper left corner.

And if you have any questions in the meantime, please ask. The community is a great resource.

Good health to you!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks Jaque, I saw that one too. Sure made me glad I've rarely consumed it!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Hi Jaque;

Just want to echo Julie and circ's welcome to you. Looking forward to learning more about you when you are ready. Of note on our website is a wonderful Primer written by one of our MD members. It's a wonderful resource for information about managing potential ApoE4 health concerns.
Slacker
E4/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Good find! I wish the study authors had specified the process used to extract the oil from the plant. Typically, a combination of heat and hexane (rancidity/toxicity) is used in making canola oil. I've heard cold pressed rapeseed oil is becoming more readily available. It would be interesting to see a repeat of this experiment with a side-by-side comparison of the two products.

It's also fascinating to compare these results with the neuroprotective effects of olive oil which suggests that it's not oil (per se) that's causing harm, but rather the type of oil and/or it's preparation.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

It would be good to see about the rapeseed oil as well. I thought cold pressed rapeseed was a good choice, now I'm not so sure :?
genec
Contributor
Contributor

Post by genec »

In this study they compared mice fed regular chow to mice fed regular chow plus 50 mg/kg canola oil (the equivalent of about 3.5 g oil for a 150lb person). The canola oil mice were thus fed a lot more calories and gained a lot more weight. We have no idea if it was the canola oil, or oil in general, or the extra calories, or the extra weight that worsened the symptoms in these mice.

Frankly, I’m surprised that Nature published this study given that it is misleading and doesn’t support their conclusions: “our data do not justify the current trend aimed at replacing olive oil with canola oil.” Well maybe if they had compared olive and canola oil they could say that, but they didn’t.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, genec! Excellent insight, if true. Failure to account for caloric intake is a huge problem. Can you point towards your source of information? Full text is below:

Effect of canola oil consumption on memory, synapse and neuropathology in the triple transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598- ... 73-3#Sec11

Under Methods & Materials:
Six-month old mice were randomized into two groups: one fed with standard diet (CTR, n = 12), the other with canola oil-enriched diet (50 mg/Kg) (CO, n = 10) for 6 months. The control mice used in this study have been previously described15. The source of the canola oil added to the diet was “Mazola®” canola oil, which contains 21% total fat (1gr saturated fatty acids, 4gr polyunsaturated fatty acids, and 8 gr of monounsaturated fatty acids per serving). Fresh diet was provided every other day.
From this I can't determine anything about caloric intake. I'm guessing you have some inside scoop...
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

genec wrote:In this study they compared mice fed regular chow to mice fed regular chow plus 50 mg/kg canola oil (the equivalent of about 3.5 g oil for a 150lb person).
The source of the canola oil added to the diet was “Mazola®” canola oil, which contains 21% total fat (1gr saturated fatty acids, 4gr polyunsaturated fatty acids, and 8 gr of monounsaturated fatty acids per serving).
Hi genec, and thanks for contributing to the forum. We'd love to know more about you, so if you are comfortable introducing yourself, you can do so here by clicking on "New Topic" in the upper left corner.

I am rusty at reading scientific papers, so I had a couple questions about this study. I'm hoping you or someone else can explain some of these details to me:
First question: When they mention that the level of canola oil in the study is 50 mg/Kg, is that per Kg of mouse weight? or per Kg of chow?
Second question: 3.5 g of oil for a 150 Kg person is a very small amount (less than a teaspoon). Is that right?
Third question: Isn't Mazola canola oil nearly 100% total fat (rather than 21% total fat reported here)?

Thanks in advance for any help in interpreting this!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
genec
Contributor
Contributor

genec

Post by genec »

JML wrote:
genec wrote:In this study they compared mice fed regular chow to mice fed regular chow plus 50 mg/kg canola oil (the equivalent of about 3.5 g oil for a 150lb person).
The source of the canola oil added to the diet was “Mazola®” canola oil, which contains 21% total fat (1gr saturated fatty acids, 4gr polyunsaturated fatty acids, and 8 gr of monounsaturated fatty acids per serving).
I am rusty at reading scientific papers, so I had a couple questions about this study. I'm hoping you or someone else can explain some of these details to me:
First question: When they mention that the level of canola oil in the study is 50 mg/Kg, is that per Kg of mouse weight? or per Kg of chow?
That is per Kg of mouse weight, so you multiply by 68 to get the amount for a 150lb person (150lbs = 68kg) and that gives you around 3.5 grams per day for a person.
JML wrote:Second question: 3.5 g of oil for a 150 Kg person is a very small amount (less than a teaspoon). Is that right?
Yes. 1 fluid ounce of canola oil weighs 28 grams and is equivalent to 6 teaspoons. Dividing by 8 gives us 3.5g and 3/4 teaspoons.
JML wrote:Third question: Isn't Mazola canola oil nearly 100% total fat (rather than 21% total fat reported here)?
You're right, oil is 100% fat, so that 21% number is strange. Looking up the nutrition info for Mazola canola oil, I see that one serving (1 tbsp) has 120 calories total and 120 calories from fat. I do see that the 14g of fat is 22% of the daily value for fat, so maybe that's where the 21% number is coming from? Even if that is where their number comes from, it doesn't really make sense.

By the way, the canola mice gained about 15% more weight than the control mice. I don't understand why they didn't just do an equi-caloric control. That is just basic experimental design.

JML wrote:Hi genec, and thanks for contributing to the forum. We'd love to know more about you, so if you are comfortable introducing yourself, you can do so here by clicking on "New Topic" in the upper left corner.
Thanks. Will do. This was my first post, though I've been skimming the forums for several weeks...