From Huntington treatment to AD treatement?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: From Huntington treatment to AD treatement?

Post by Julie G »

Ah, I'm sure you're right, Harrison. I couldn't find any evidence to back my story. I'm mixing up two different trials :?.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Harrison, it was the LMTX phase 3s that became very confusing.
I am not sure I remember it being this confusing 18 months ago when they decided to do the
ole last minute switcheroo on the statistical data plan for the second phase 3 of LMTX and compare an apples treatment group to
a 1000 pound super sized watermelon placebo group that required a very stiff dose of something to get a handle on.
Isn't that what science is for: Try to make things clearer not more confusing?

To up the ante, they are now saying that the placebo dose of 4 mg bid per day of LMTX is the effective
treatment dose when used as monotherapy and it should be compared to the 4 mg bid per day of LMTX
in those on typical AD standard of treatment care ( AcheIs, memantine). The phase 3 writeup does offer
confirming evidence that this could be true.

Required readings are clearly required for this because it is so convoluted.
Did they ever even do a phase 1 or phase 2 with LMTX?
I realize that biology is confusing, though you can avoid nearly completely
obscuring your results by going through the early round trials, so that when you hit
phase 3 everything has been smoothed out.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Interesting to think about the factors limiting the pace of clinical trials. I wonder what would happen if thousands lined up at their doors with our health records, genetic sequences, and liability waivers in hand, ready to participate. Imagine if the government saw the national health crisis that was coming, loosened the restrictions (in some reasonable way), offered to cover health issues related to trials (so private insurance didn't need to), and let people assume *a bit* more personal risk as a form of "national service". The POTUS' father had AD. Many in congress have family members impacted. Seems like a nice bipartisan issue.

In any case, taking Harrison's good points into account, I do think the RNA silencing technology of some type could be a promising approach.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

The only way might be for people to exercise their legal Right to Try.
Methylene Blue is already on the market and a phase 2 trial has been published.
This is sufficient for those interested to give it a try.

How many Alzheimer patients would it take who had not progressed for 2 or more years before
the evidence was undeniable?

One of the more devastating events in my life has been having a parent with unrecognized dementia maintaining their social/family responsibilities. None of the extended family who were fully aware of our family's experience with dementia made any comment to us even as our loved one transitioned into frank cognitive impairment. Saying nothing when you have such knowledge seems to me highly irresponsible. I will not make the same mistake.

I think it is reasonable to request and receive some expert assurance that the POTUS is not entering a pre-dementia state. Many on our forum are fully aware of how severe the consequences can be if one ignores or downplays the significance of MCI/dementia as a determinant of fulfilling one's personal or professional responsibilities. It seems entirely possible that various levels of leadership in our society might have drifted into cognitive impairment issues without an adequate response by the community. If so, then various strategies could be tried to effectively manage this challenge. It would be highly irresponsible and, frankly, demented not to investigate this.
Last edited by J11 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

Here are some very well known AD experts commenting on the LMTX trial: http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/exper ... s-disease/

For the most part, I find their comments reasonable and their call for a new monotherapy trial to be fair. I only found one of the comments to be overly harsh.

With regards to people taking drugs without knowing if they have a benefit, that is one of the proposals from the current administration's pick to head the FDA. Just make sure the drug is safe, and then release it to the public. Of course insurance won't cover it, but that's a whole other issue.

Given that methylene blue and homotaurine (tramiprosate) are widely available as supplements, I think its more of a question of when rather than if that people start taking them prophylactically.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: From Huntington treatment to AD treatement?

Post by Stavia »

Harrison wrote:Here are some very well known AD experts commenting on the LMTX trial: http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/exper ... s-disease/

For the most part, I find their comments reasonable and their call for a new monotherapy trial to be fair. I only found one of the comments to be overly harsh.

With regards to people taking drugs without knowing if they have a benefit, that is one of the proposals from the current administration's pick to head the FDA. Just make sure the drug is safe, and then release it to the public. Of course insurance won't cover it, but that's a whole other issue.

Given that methylene blue and homotaurine (tramiprosate) are widely available as supplements, I think its more of a question of when rather than if that people start taking them prophylactically.
what have you decided to do Harrison?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: RE: Re: From Huntington treatment to AD treatement?

Post by Harrison »

Stavia wrote:what have you decided to do Harrison?
I'm not quite ready to take methylene blue or homotaurine based on the evidence so far. There will be additional clinical trials for both, and both might have bioavailability problems that the LMTX formulation or ALZ-801 prodrug is attempting to solve.

If both Phase III trials show even a glimmer of hope and adequate safety, I might consider going the supplement route for both.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: From Huntington treatment to AD treatement?

Post by Stavia »

Harrison wrote:
Stavia wrote:what have you decided to do Harrison?
I'm not quite ready to take methylene blue or homotaurine based on the evidence so far. There will be additional clinical trials for both, and both might have bioavailability problems that the LMTX formulation or ALZ-801 prodrug is attempting to solve.

If both Phase III trials show even a glimmer of hope and adequate safety, I might consider going the supplement route for both.
I'm with you on this. I want decent safety data.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Whenever any on this thread are ready we can transfer over to the "Did Methylene Blue fail?" thread to go over the
research to date in excruciating line by line detail.

We can start by reviewing the phase 2 trial.
From my current understanding this trial demonstrated near conclusive evidence of anti-dementing effects.
Let's go to the other thread and discuss whenever anyone is ready!