Urea's role in dementia

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Urea's role in dementia

Post by Tincup »

apoe4thebetter wrote:Just found this thread and wanted to ask if there is a preferred reference range for uric acid for E4s? I didn’t see anything about uric acid in either of Dr. Bredesen's books (might have missed it). I would understand if the confusing data about it caused it to be omitted for now as one of the “holes in the roof”.

Other experts I’ve heard (eg. Dr. Peter Attia, Dr. Rick Johnson) recommend lower uric acid numbers because of its potential negative effects, and I realize that their recommendations are to a different audience. This thread is the first time I had heard the flip side that uric acid is an antioxidant and may be neuroprotective. For now my preference is to keep it on the lower side, but I’d be interested to know if there is a preferred uric acid range for E4s?
I searched the Kindle versions of Bredesen's books with no hits.

I'm in the keep uric acid low camp. My most recent labs (Dec) had it at 4.4 and the animal protein in my diet is exclusively fish or shellfish, though we did go vegan for 4 days before the test for other reasons, so that could impact the results.

Here is what Ron Rosedale said a long time ago. The fact that high uric acid can indicate the kidneys are doing their job isn't a happy thing for anybody.
Rosedale M.D., Ron; The Rosedale Diet (pp. 180-181). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition. wrote:Uric Acid Uric acid is a breakdown product of the metabolism of purines, which are produced in the body (they are the building blocks of DNA and RNA) and are found in the diet most abundantly in fish, shellfish, turkey, and some types of meat. When there is an overproduction of uric acid or an inability of the kidneys to excrete it, uric acid levels build up in the blood. Until recently, elevated levels of uric acid were associated only with gout. Chronically high concentrations of uric acid can collect in the tissues and form sharp crystals in the joint fluid, causing the intense pain and swelling characteristic of gout. However, research over the past few years has determined that high levels of uric acid are also found in individuals with high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, diabetes, and weight problems—all signs and symptoms of leptin and insulin resistance. In one large study, increased uric acid levels were found to be highly predictive of increased risk of death from heart attack or stroke. You would do well to keep your uric acid level within the normal range of 3 to 7 mg/dL. And no, you don’t have to curtail your intake of purine-rich foods, which has been recommended to patients with gout for years. The Rosedale Diet is a much surer path to lowering uric acid levels than the hopelessly outdated low-purine diet. Uric acid: 3 to 7 mg/dL normal; more than 7 mg/dl high.
Tincup
E3,E4
apoe4thebetter
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Urea's role in dementia

Post by apoe4thebetter »

Thanks for the quick reply, Tincup! It’s helpful to see in Dr. Rosedale’s summary a potential correlation between uric acid and cholesterol (had not seen that in the other materials I’m reading). That seems to resonate with my case—as I’ve done experiments to bring down cholesterol on a low-carb/high-fat diet, my uric acid was in the 5’s and 6’s. On the last Jan 7 test, however, when I was just starting to feel good with the cholesterol staying down (LDL-C from 170s to 110s), uric acid was also down at 4.7, so not too far off from your 4.4. Fish, shellfish, turkey, and meat have always been in my diet while doing these experiments.
apoe4thebetter | 3/4 | experimenting with diet to work through A1c and LDL challenges