Lectins and their benefits

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Lectins and their benefits

Post by Tincup »

Searcher wrote:C-reactive protein sometimes moves in the opposite direction to IL-6 and TNF.
Ok, hsCRP:
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 5.32.54 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Dinner tonight:
IMG_2573.JPG
Since I eat in a two hour window, on the days I'm not doing a 5 day fast, I'd previously had some pecans, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, sliced raw jicama and guacamole dip in the hour prior to this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

What gains are available from the inclusion of whole grains?

The study cited defined successful aging as "absence of disability, depressive symptoms, cognitive impairment, respiratory symptoms, and chronic diseases (eg, cancer and coronary artery disease)."

Confidence intervals in the study were sufficiently narrow to draw useful conclusions. That's because the effect size and the sample size were both large enough.

Confidence intervals in small studies or n=1 trials tend to be so wide as to undermine useful conclusions. That's why it's safer to rely on scientific reports with stated confidence intervals around the odds ratio, than on anecdotal evidence.

Is anecdotal evidence useless? Of course not. Anecdotal evidence can contribute to new hypotheses which then need testing in trials that are adequately powered to detect clinically important differences.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

"Among older adults, fiber from fruits and breads/ cereals (primarily from rolled oats and wholemeal/wholegrain breads), but not from vegetables independently predicted successful aging." Interesting to speculate why that might be true.

I'm always hoping that we see more that look at E4 carriers to see if we trend differently, but that's not included in this study. The reality is that we E4 carriers seem to have a more inflammatory genotype and some lectins are known to cause inflammatory reactions for some folks. It would be extremely helpful if we can see if the two are related in some way.

So, let me flip your question. What gains can be made from the exclusion of grains?

When I started looking how to deal with an autoimmune diagnosis, I came across the work of Sarah Ballantyne. Unlike a lot of bloggers, she has a PhD in medical biophysics. She has laid out the argument that it's not all lectins (after all, lectins are in everything, including our bodies), but two that can be problematic for folks with inflammation: prolamins and agglutinins. Here's my summary of her argument.

Proalims are abundant in grains (including wheat), legumes and pseudograins, including quinoa, chia and buckwheat. The effects can be paracellular, for example, gluten opening the tight junctions in the gut, or in transcellular processes, where the transport of IgA antibodies to the body should result in recycling, but doesn't, leading the immune system to respond. Proteins, like gliadin, can also be transported by lysomomal transport. In some folks, gliadin can be fully digested within the lysosome, but definitely not those with celiac. There is some evidence that the lysosomes incur damage in response to digesting gliadin, also opening a hole in the gut.

Agglutinins, by hint of the name, induce clumping of red blood cells. As part of seeds, they protect the seed from fungal infections and perhaps inset predation. Unfortunately, GMOs tend to contain higher levels of agglutinins because they protect crops from pests. But they are difficult for humans to digest because we lack the enzymes to break them down. They also tend to be stable at high temps and low pH, so neither cooking or stomach acid can break them down.

Nightshades, including tomatoes, also fall in the agglutinin category, but also have other problematic chemicals including saponins and glycoalkaloids.

She has a lot more detail and references in her book: "The Paleo Approach, Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body". She also has a newer book out, probably with updated research.

She feels genetic susceptibility is understudied, but that these two specific lectins very could well explain any variability in damage.

Personally, wheat makes my joints ache. That was very clear from a medically supervised elimination diet. Corn is another that can cause me problems. I do seem to do okay with some of the other foods with agglutinins, such as chia and buckwheat, but I really don't eat a lot of either of those. So, whether it's the lectins or other chemicals, it seems some of us can be sensitive to these foods, and my take is that a lot of it has to do with genetics. For example, I carry some gene variants related to celiac. Perhaps not to the extent to cause celiac from the git go, but to cause problems in my ability to eat very much of it without symptoms.

So, Searcher, I think the push back you are getting about lectins, is related to the reality that effects of certain lectins seems highly individual. You might be able to eat them just fine. Theresa and George do much better without them.

Even though I'm not a patient of Gundry's and have problems with some of the foods he's thrown in the banned bin, I do agree that when you have health challenges, you need to cut back on things known to be problems (sugar, wheat, dairy, other known allergens), heal your gut, reduce inflammation, and then see what you can put back in without compromising your gut or increasing inflammatory markers.

At this stage, it's the best we can do without precision medicine, based on individual genetics.
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

I get it, Susan.

I have a penicillin allergy. So I avoid penicillin.

But penicillins are life-saving drugs. My allergy is not sufficient to change that, even though it makes penicillin off limits for me.

Perhaps my penicillin allergy is linked to one or more SNPs. If so, a demonstration of that would embolden all others with my genetic profile to avoid penicillin. But that further step would require a reliable demonstration.

Otherwise my experience with penicillin should not keep others from the life-saving benefits it offers.

It seems to me that avoidance of lectin-containing foods is similarly unhelpful to health. All the more so when lectins can be destroyed quite easily by soaking and sufficient heat exposure.

It would be good to see whether APOE4 carriers have a genetic predisposition to whole grain intolerance.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Yep, reliable demonstration of the connection would be great, but unfortunately, unlikely to attract much funding.

In the meantime, as we say, N=1. ;)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

My mother ate very clean. She prepared everything from scratch and from organic ingredients. She was not overweight. Her glucose was good. Her diet was full of whole grains, legumes, nightshades, seeded veggies and fruit. She was very bright, the only female in her physics dept graduating in 1948. She also got AD. Hence an n=1 I don't wish to follow.

I used to eat that way, had many autoimmune issues my whole life, including RA symptoms in my hands in later years. This all vanished upon adopting Gundry's plan.

I'm not saying everyone should do as I do, however it does work well for me.
Tincup
E3,E4
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

Tincup wrote:Dinner tonight:
IMG_2573.JPG

Since I eat in a two hour window, on the days I'm not doing a 5 day fast, I'd previously had some pecans, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, sliced raw jicama and guacamole dip in the hour prior to this.
I don't understand how you can get 175 g of fat out of what you have there. Are you taking in ~8 tablespoons of olive oil?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

aphorist wrote:
Tincup wrote:Dinner tonight:
IMG_2573.JPG

I don't understand how you can get 175 g of fat out of what you have there. Are you taking in ~8 tablespoons of olive oil?
Here are two weeks (so a daily average, divide by 14) of data - all in grams except eggs. I was weighing & paying attention when I recorded this. Normally I just eat...

Also not shown in the photo are the nuts, & guacamole, jicama I ate before.

I do dump a lot of olive oil on everything and in recipes.

Food Grams
Sauerkraut 2381.0
Jicama 1754.5
Guac 1742.0
Avocado 1045.0
EVOO 1036.0
Asparugus 898.5
Portabella Mushrooms 693.0
Pecan 578.0
Carrots 554.0
Walnut 507.0
Hazelnut 499.0
Chard 490.0
Pistachio 448.0
Kovita Kefir 407.0
Kimchi 403.0
Artichoke 399.0
Spinach 370.0
Balsamic Vin 364.0
Quorn 340.0
Cauliflower 329.5
Kale 305.0
Wine 289.0
Red Onion 286.0
Shrimp 270.5
Tomato 264.5
Beets 258.0
Arugula 257.0
Yucca Fries 237.6
Tempeh 227.0
Cod 223.0
Broccoli 183.0
Raddish 135.0
HempTofu 113.0
Plantain 110.5
Cilantro 110.0
Purple Sweet Potato 108.0
Green banana 103.8
Palm Heart 100.0
Miracle Noodles 99.0
Brussel sprouts 86.5
Chocolate 86.0
Black Olives 82.0
Broccoli 60.0
HempHearts 60.0
Green onion 53.0
Beet Leaves 50.0
Radicchio 47.0
Macadamia Nuts 30.0
Cassava (tapioca) flour 29.3
Flax 21.5
Garlic 18.5
Blueberries 15.6
Baking Powder 12.0
Vanilla 12.0
Psyllium Husk 10.0
Cinnamon 9.6
Ginger 5.0
Eggs Number of 4.9
Tumeric 4.5
Corriander 4.0
Salt 4.0
Cumin 3.8
Pepper 3.5
Egg yolk Number of 2.4
Sweet Leaf Stevia 2.4
Rosemary 2.0
Tumirc Root 1.5
Ginger Root 1.0
Agar Agar 0.5
Tincup
E3,E4
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

so 150g of avocado + olive oil daily.

That's 3.75 avocados and 5.5 tbspn of olive oil a day for 1500 calories. That seems like an awful lot.