Plasmalogens- exciting new evidence

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Plasmalogens- exciting new evidence

Post by floramaria »

TheresaB wrote:Option #2, I was part of the beta group just taking a dropper full every day. I too, have a good HDL to LDL ratio, and as I posted earlier, any effects from the oil were subtle. But largely because of what Dr Goodenowe said about ApoE4s Dayan Goodenowe, PhD: Plasmalogens & Neurological Health and now reinforced by my own doctor's (Dr Gundry), unsolicited endorsement of plasmalogens, I'm sticking with the plasmalogen.
Thanks, Theresa. Most likely I will end up taking plasmalogens forever, but I am curious enough about where I stand now that I will probably wait to start until I can get the test results. My hope is that if I am already in a fairly good range, I’ll be able to push to optimal with a lower dose of the Supplemental plasmalogen and stretch out a vial. We’ll see.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
PeterM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PeterM »

Just wondering if anyone might spell out the difference (at least as it applies to apoe4s) between the Neuro and Glia forms of Prodrome Science’s plasmalogens. Intriguing there are two distinct formulas yet the Prodrome Science product descriptions don’t make clear when the glial form might be a better choice.
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

Two Articles, the first has bad news for APOE4 members, the second has good news showing a workaround to counter the effects of the first article.

Bad News.
Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease 74 (2020) 975–990
DOI 10.3233/JAD-191017
IOS Press
Effect of APOE Genotype on Plasma
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA),
Eicosapentaenoic Acid, Arachidonic Acid,
and Hippocampal Volume in the
Alzheimer’s Disease Cooperative
Study-Sponsored DHA Clinical Trial.

Good News

Role of phosphatidylcholine-DHA in preventing APOE4-associated Alzheimer’s disease Rhonda P. Patrick University of California San Francisco Benioff, Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, USA
ABSTRACT:Dietary and supplemental intake of the Omega 3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) reduces risk ofAlzheimer’s disease (AD) and ameliorates symptoms. The apolipoprotein E (APOE)4 allele is the strongest risk factor for sporadic AD, exclusive of age. APOE4 carriers respond well to the DHA present in fish but do not respond as well to dietary supplements. The mechanisms behind this varied response remain unknown. I posit that the difference is that fish contain DHA in phospholipid form, whereas fish oil supplements do not. This influences whether DHA is metabolized to nonesterified DHA (free DHA) or a phospholipid form called lysophosphatidylcholine DHA (DHA-lysoPC). Free DHA is transported across the outer membrane leaflet of the blood–brain barrier (BBB) via passive diffusion, and DHA-lysoPC is transported across the inner membrane leaflet of the BBB via the major facilitator superfamily domain-containing protein 2A. I propose that APOE4 carriers have impaired brain transport of free DHA but not of DHA-lysoPC, as a consequence of a breakdown in the outer membrane leaflet of the BBB, putting them at increased risk for AD. Dietary sources of DHA in phospholipid form may provide a means to increase plasmalevels of DHA-lysoPC, thereby decreasing the risk of AD.
MoJoe
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

MoJoe wrote:Two Articles, the first has bad news for APOE4 members, the second has good news showing a workaround to counter the effects of the first article.

Bad News.
Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease 74 (2020) 975–990
DOI 10.3233/JAD-191017
IOS Press
Effect of APOE Genotype on Plasma
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA),
Eicosapentaenoic Acid, Arachidonic Acid,
and Hippocampal Volume in the
Alzheimer’s Disease Cooperative
Study-Sponsored DHA Clinical Trial.

Good News

Role of phosphatidylcholine-DHA in preventing APOE4-associated Alzheimer’s disease Rhonda P. Patrick University of California San Francisco Benioff, Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, USA
ABSTRACT:Dietary and supplemental intake of the Omega 3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) reduces risk ofAlzheimer’s disease (AD) and ameliorates symptoms. The apolipoprotein E (APOE)4 allele is the strongest risk factor for sporadic AD, exclusive of age. APOE4 carriers respond well to the DHA present in fish but do not respond as well to dietary supplements. The mechanisms behind this varied response remain unknown. I posit that the difference is that fish contain DHA in phospholipid form, whereas fish oil supplements do not. This influences whether DHA is metabolized to nonesterified DHA (free DHA) or a phospholipid form called lysophosphatidylcholine DHA (DHA-lysoPC). Free DHA is transported across the outer membrane leaflet of the blood–brain barrier (BBB) via passive diffusion, and DHA-lysoPC is transported across the inner membrane leaflet of the BBB via the major facilitator superfamily domain-containing protein 2A. I propose that APOE4 carriers have impaired brain transport of free DHA but not of DHA-lysoPC, as a consequence of a breakdown in the outer membrane leaflet of the BBB, putting them at increased risk for AD. Dietary sources of DHA in phospholipid form may provide a means to increase plasmalevels of DHA-lysoPC, thereby decreasing the risk of AD.
MoJoe
Hi Mojoe,
I thought I would save some folks time in finding these two interesting views, and add the abstract and link to the first article, which is an NIH-funded study of DHA in has free access here:Effect of APOE Genotype on Plasma Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), Eicosapentaenoic Acid, Arachidonic Acid, and Hippocampal Volume in the Alzheimer’s Disease Cooperative Study-Sponsored DHA Clinical Trial.
Abstract

Background: Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and arachidonic acid (AA) play key roles in several metabolic processes relevant to Alzheimer's disease (AD) pathogenesis and neuroinflammation. Carrying the APOEɛ4 allele (APOE4) accelerates omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) oxidation. In a pre-planned subgroup analysis of the Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study-sponsored DHA clinical trial, APOE4 carriers with mild probable AD had no improvements in cognitive outcomes compared to placebo, while APOE 4 non-carriers showed a benefit from DHA supplementation.

Objective: We sought to clarify the effect of APOEɛ4/ɛ4 on both the ratio of plasma DHA and EPA to AA, and on hippocampal volumes after DHA supplementation.

Methods: Plasma fatty acids and APOE genotype were obtained in 275 participants randomized to 18 months of DHA supplementation or placebo. A subset of these participants completed brain MRI imaging (n = 86) and lumbar punctures (n = 53).

Results: After the intervention, DHA-treated APOEɛ3/ɛ3 and APOEɛ2/ɛ3 carriers demonstrated significantly greater increase in plasma DHA/AA compared to ɛ4/ɛ4 carriers. APOEɛ2/ɛ3 had a greater increase in plasma EPA/AA and less decline in left and right hippocampal volumes compared to compared to ɛ4/ɛ4 carriers. The change in plasma and cerebrospinal fluid DHA/AA was strongly correlated. Greater baseline and increase in plasma EPA/AA was associated with a lower decrease in the right hippocampal volume, but only in APOE 4 non-carriers.

Conclusion: The lower increase in plasma DHA/AA and EPA/AA in APOEɛ4/ɛ4 carriers after DHA supplementation reduces brain delivery and affects the efficacy of DHA supplementation.
Role of phosphatidylcholine-DHA in preventing APOE4-associated Alzheimer's disease
Abstract
Dietary and supplemental intake of the ω-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) reduces risk of Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and ameliorates symptoms. The apolipoprotein E (APOE)4 allele is the strongest risk factor for sporadic AD, exclusive of age. APOE4 carriers respond well to the DHA present in fish but do not respond as well to dietary supplements. The mechanisms behind this varied response remain unknown. I posit that the difference is that fish contain DHA in phospholipid form, whereas fish oil supplements do not. This influences whether DHA is metabolized to nonesterified DHA (free DHA) or a phospholipid form called lysophosphatidylcholine DHA (DHA-lysoPC). Free DHA is transported across the outer membrane leaflet of the blood–brain barrier (BBB) via passive diffusion, and DHA-lysoPC is transported across the inner membrane leaflet of the BBB via the major facilitator superfamily domain-containing protein 2A. I propose that APOE4 carriers have impaired brain transport of free DHA but not of DHA-lysoPC, as a consequence of a breakdown in the outer membrane leaflet of the BBB, putting them at increased risk for AD. Dietary sources of DHA in phospholipid form may provide a means to increase plasma levels of DHA-lysoPC, thereby decreasing the risk of AD.—Patrick, R. P. Role of phosphatidylcholine-DHA in preventing APOE4-associated Alzheimer’s disease.
4/4 and still an optimist!
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

Thanks NF52, I have trouble sometimes in finding a free link.
MoJoe
user
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Neuroplas NMR results

Post by user »

docmaas wrote:neuroplas nmr results:
Is anyone else using Neuroplas from Biomer or any other plasmalogen supplements?
Are you still taking plasmalogen supplements? If so, what have your results been over this longer time frame?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

user wrote:
docmaas wrote:neuroplas nmr results:
Is anyone else using Neuroplas from Biomer or any other plasmalogen supplements?
Are you still taking plasmalogen supplements? If so, what have your results been over this longer time frame?
Welcome, user, I see that you joined us here in 2019, so you may already be familiar with the resources here. If you haven’t seen it yet, you may be interested in checking out the Primer. Our
how-to guide WiKi provides useful information on subscribing to threads, quoting when responding to another member so they are notified of your response, and other helpful tips for navigating the site.
Have you listened to the podcast JulieG with Dayan Goodenowe? Some great information about plasmalogens.
I took the ProdromeScan blood test about 10 days ago and am awaiting the results. Though I was tempted to begin supplementing without testing, my curiosity to see where my levels are now won out. Once I get results back I’ll post here. There are several community members who are taking plasmalogen supplement from Prodrome. If you haven’t already , you could also use the search function (magnifying glass to the left of your user name) to see all previous posts on the site that mention plasmalogens.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
docmaas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by docmaas »

I tried two bottles of Neuroplas a few years ago but discontinued it and have taken no plasmalogen supplements since. I do take a phospholipid dha in the form of Krill oil, from SR purchased here:

I do not personally feel many effects from most things I take and have nothing to report about either of these.
user
Contributor
Contributor

Post by user »

docmaas wrote:I tried two bottles of Neuroplas a few years ago but discontinued it and have taken no plasmalogen supplements since.
I do not personally feel many effects from most things I take and have nothing to report about either of these.
I feel the same way, I often get excited to try a new supplement based on reviews where people say it really helped them only to find not much difference. Thanks for following up
user
Contributor
Contributor

Post by user »

floramaria wrote:Have you listened to the podcast JulieG with Dayan Goodenowe?
Not yet, I listened to Dr. Gundry's podcast with Dayan Goodenowe which is what got me interested.
floramaria wrote:I took the ProdromeScan blood test about 10 days ago and am awaiting the results.
If you don't mind saying, how much was the test?