Plasmalogens- exciting new evidence

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Plasmalogens- exciting new evidence

Post by floramaria »

MoJoe wrote:Neuroregain contains around 1 mg of E-Plas per capsule, many diets contain higher levels. I suspect any effect on AD would be dose dependant and 1 mg of plasmalogen may be a bit light. Also C-Plas appears to be pro- inflammatory so the chicken version of plasmalogens may not be as effective.
Hi MoJoe, Welcome!

Happy you have joined the community and the conversation. If you would introduce yourself, we would love to know more about who you are and what brings you to the ApoE4.Info site. You can do that in Our Stories. Since you just joined today there are a few things that may be useful as you begin to use the site. First, the Primer is an overview of ApoE4 allele ...what it is , what effects it has, and what interventions have proven beneficial in offsetting potentially negative health impacts. It is written by a physician member, Stavia.
You can use the Search Option (magnifying glass to left of your user name) to see what posts have already been made on any topic that interests you or even a word or phrase that needs clarification. (For example, after reading your comment, I went to Search and typed in Neuroregain, since I am not familiar with that, and saw precious post that mentioned it.)
While the discussion in any Thread can diverge in many different directions, the Wikicontains material that is organized by topic. There is section in the Wiki with info on how to use the website with specifics like how to quote a portion of someone's post and how to refine a Search.
Please ask any questions that come up as you familiarize yourself with the website.
Best wishes, floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

The fluidity of the membrane is more a function of the type of fat attached to sn-2. DHA gives much more fluidity than a saturated fat.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

New research on plasmalogens was just presented at the AAIC. The Science Daily headline:

Alzheimer's disease risk impacted by the liver, diet
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 174225.htm

Summary: Reduced levels of plasmalogens are associated with an increased risk of Alzheimer's Disease. New research suggests the liver could contribute to Alzheimer's risk by failing to supply key lipids to the brain
jkramer65
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jkramer65 »

slacker wrote:
Julie G wrote:Because plasmalogen is a phospholipid, you'll note (Slide #73) the correlation with a specific lipid pattern: High HDL, low TGs, and especially a high HDL/LDL ratio = high plasmalogen levels. So, while we don't have definitive diet/lifesytle interventions that translate to high plasmologen, we can fairly easily work towards raising HDL and lowering TGs.
There appears to be an association between high HDL, low TGs, and high HDL/LDL ratio to high plasmalogen levels, but is there a causal relationship or merely an association? Do we know that tinkering with these other lipid markers results in higher plasmalogens? For example, pharmaceuticals designed to raise HDL were not successful in reducing coronary artery disease, despite the belief that those with higher HDL had greater protection. The devil is in the details...
Question: Do you just divide your HDL by your LDL to get the ratio? Also what is considered high? Is there a marker? Thanks!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

jkramer65 wrote: Question: Do you just divide your HDL by your LDL to get the ratio? Also what is considered high? Is there a marker? Thanks!
Jkramer65, you divide the LDL by the HDL to the the LDL/HDL ratio. I've attached a sample Lipid Profile with LDL/HDL ratio test results. You can see the lab's normal range, which includes "average" risk and below. The report also lists ratio values that indicate higher levels of risk.
Lipid report with LDL to HDL ratio.pdf
I am not a lipid expert, and am not aware of studies showing the efficacy of LDL/HDL ratio to predict cardiovascular risk. Our wiki entry on cholesterol may be of assistance to you, although I didn't see anything discussing this ratio on very quick scan. If you want to take a really deep dive, search our website for discussions on Dr Peter Attia, or go directly to his website.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slacker
E4/E4
jkramer65
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jkramer65 »

slacker wrote:
jkramer65 wrote: Question: Do you just divide your HDL by your LDL to get the ratio? Also what is considered high? Is there a marker? Thanks!
Jkramer65, you divide the LDL by the HDL to the the LDL/HDL ratio. I've attached a sample Lipid Profile with LDL/HDL ratio test results. You can see the lab's normal range, which includes "average" risk and below. The report also lists ratio values that indicate higher levels of risk.

Lipid report with LDL to HDL ratio.pdf

I am not a lipid expert, and am not aware of studies showing the efficacy of LDL/HDL ratio to predict cardiovascular risk. Our wiki entry on cholesterol may be of assistance to you, although I didn't see anything discussing this ratio on very quick scan. If you want to take a really deep dive, search our website for discussions on Dr Peter Attia, or go directly to his website.
Thanks! Mine is 1.6 -- not sure if that is good or bad.

I've always had good HDL and TG and bad LDL. THOUGH even when I had really high total cholesterol my ratio was always decent because of my HDL always being high. I'm on the lowest dose of Crestor now (this is a genetic issue -- i'm thin/fit/eat super healthy etc. and could never bring it down naturally) and my LDL has come down to a nice number. I know there is some discussion about statins being bad. But at least Crestor is one of the statins that doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. And I'm conscious about my total number not going under 150 like Dr, Bredesen says. It hovers near 200 actually.

My worry isn't CV risk it is AD risk.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Searcher wrote:Eggs up to 7 per week seem neutral with regard to inflammatory markers, according to the Empirical Dietary Inflammation Index.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4958288/
Can someone help me understand Table 1? The way I'm reading it is that the items under 'positive associations' are relatively inflammatory, yet pizza has the largest weighting/affect size under 'inverse associations' (???) Or maybe pizza is the most inflammatory of the inverse associations (???). It makes no sense to me. Refined carbs (pizza crust) and tomatoes are under positive associations (along with fish).

It's not that I want to eat pizza, although that would be nice :lol: , but I have chronically high hsCRP, so I'd be interested in removing items of diet that they correlated with high CRP.

Sorry, statistics dunce here.

And, major, unnecessary and unhelpful gripe warning: Could they not have underlined or italicized the food groups in footnote 3? It's almost impossible to read and they're not even in the order they appear in the table :roll:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Crystal Goh
New User
New User

Post by Crystal Goh »

Hi MoJoe,

Good day!

I have come across Neuroregain and noticed that it is formulated with plasmalogen extracted from scallop and not from chicken. You may want to refer to their website for more details https://lifestreamgroup.com/neuroregain

Besides, they also have another separate website mentioned about plasmalogen (https://plasmalogen.me/en/home/). Personally, I feel this website is very comprehensive. They did mention that 1mg plasmalogen daily is the best dosage. You may want to refer here: https://plasmalogen.me/en/clinical-trial/

Hope this helps…. :)

Regards,
Crystal
skydancer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skydancer »

Hi Crystal,
Welcome to the ApoE4.Info site! You seem to be doing some interesting research and thanks for sharing. I am happy that you have joined the community and the conversation. It seems that you have been searching the website already. If you would introduce yourself, we would love to hear more about you and what brings you to this site. You can do this in the Our Stories section. We look forward to hearing more from you.
Best,
Skydancer
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Apologies for posting this twice, but I thought it might have been lost in our Biomarker Study thread. This feels important and potentially very hopeful. A new study, published by Dr. Goodenowe and team, demonstrates that high plasmalogen levels can counteract the effect of the E4 allele, essentially neutralizing our risk for Alzheimer’s.
Abstract: Using a community sample of 1205 elderly persons, we investigated the associations and potential interactions between Apolipoprotein E (APOE) genotype and serum phosphatidylethanolamine (PlsEtn) on cognition and dementia. For each person, APOE genotype, PlsEtn Biosynthesis value (PBV, the combination of three key PlsEtn species), cognition (the combination of five specific cognitive domains), and diagnosis of dementia was determined. APOE genotype and PBV were observed to be non-interacting (p > 0.05) and independently associated with cognition: APOE (relative to ε3ε3:ε2ε3 (Coef = 0.14, p = 4.2 × 10−2); ε3ε4/ε4ε4 (Coef = −0.22, p = 6.2 × 10−5); PBV (Coef = 0.12, p = 1.7 × 10−7) and dementia: APOE (relative to ε3ε3:ε2ε3 (Odds Ratio OR = 0.44, p = 3.0 × 10−2); ε3ε4/ε4ε4 (OR = 2.1, p = 2.2 × 10−4)); PBV (OR = 0.61, p = 3.3 × 10−6). Associations are expressed per standard deviation (SD) and adjusted for serum lipids and demographics. Due to the independent and non-interacting nature of the APOE and PBV associations, the prevalence of dementia in APOE ε3ε4/ε4ε4 persons with high PBV values (>1 SD from mean) was observed to be the same as APOE ε3ε3 persons (14.3% versus 14.0%). Similarly, the prevalence of dementia in APOE ε3ε3 persons with high PBV values was only 5.7% versus 6.7% for APOE ε2ε3 persons. The results of these analyses indicate that the net effect of APOE genotype on cognition and the prevalence of dementia is dependent upon the plasmalogen status of the person.
Plasmalogen levels are modifiable and appear to track closely with TC:HDL ratios. Our proposed biomarker study will enable us to monitor all of the biomarkers utilized in this paper, plus give us access to a plasmalogen precursor supplement that raises levels. I’m hopeful that the NIH will see value in approving a grant that will help us move forward…
goodenowe_2019_relation of serum plasmalogens and apoe to cognition and dementia.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.