Plasmalogens- exciting new evidence

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Plasmalogens- exciting new evidence

Post by Julie G »

Hi all! I just came across this recent interview with Dr. Goodenow. "Longevity" is music to my 4/4 ears! :D
jasonkivo
New User
New User

Post by jasonkivo »

TreeHugger wrote:Prodrome
Matt - how’s the Prodrome trial going? I finally stumbled on this idea and saw your posts. Are you still taking it? Any new thoughts? I see it’s $299 for a bottle is that good for a month or do you take more than recommended.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

{edit by Tincup so TreeHugger will get a notification}
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MicheleCC »

jasonkivo wrote:[mention]TreeHugger [/mention]
Matt - how’s the Prodrome trial going? I finally stumbled on this idea and saw your posts. Are you still taking it? Any new thoughts? I see it’s $299 for a bottle is that good for a month or do you take more than recommended. Thank you!
Hi jasonkivo! I noticed this was your first post on the site, and while it's addressed to "TreeHugger", I wanted to jump in to welcome you here and offer a few links to help you maximize your use of the apoe4.info website. There is an abundance of information and a very supportive and knowledgable community of people on this site. We all learn from each other, so feel free to browse, search, question and comment.

New users will often start with our Primer. This is a valuable resource for understanding apoe4, how it expresses and ideas on how to optimize it's function. There is much information and help available to prevent and even reverse conditions associated with apoe4. In addition, I'd like to point you to the "How-To" get the most of the apoe4.info website, as this will help you navigate the site and get the most from the various forum topics you may choose to follow.

Again, welcome!

Warm regards,
MicheleCC
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TreeHugger wrote:Since desaturase is the final conversion step of Prodrome-Neuro to plasmalogen and I am homozygous for many, many FADS2 and FADS1 SNPs, will these SNPs result in less plasmalogen per fixed dose of Prodrome-Neuro?
Hi TreeHugger, Have you learned anymore about this? I also have a healthy dose of homozygous FADS mutations. And are these involved in plasmalogen synthesis in the body naturally or just with the way the supplement works ... if you know?

Guess I better learn much more about desaturase and FADS.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TreeHugger
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TreeHugger »

jasonkivo wrote:Matt - how’s the Prodrome trial going? I finally stumbled on this idea and saw your posts. Are you still taking it? Any new thoughts? I see it’s $299 for a bottle is that good for a month or do you take more than recommended.
Jason, welcome aboard! I am responding fantastically to Prodrome-Neuro. :) I am taking 1.8 ml each day, which is double the recommended starting dose, but I believe that I have special needs for DHA-rich phospholipids/plasmalogens thanks to my genes.
circular wrote:Hi TreeHugger, Have you learned anymore about this? I also have a healthy dose of homozygous FADS mutations. And are these involved in plasmalogen synthesis in the body naturally or just with the way the supplement works ... if you know?
Circular, desaturase is at a place in the pathway of plasmalogen production that it should be involved in both endogenous plasmalogen production and Prodrome-Neuro conversion. My guess is that the DHA molecule on each Plasmalogen-Neuro which is split from PN during digestion/absorption is also absorbed as a free fatty acid and reattached later and so this bypasses my low performing FADS.

My wellbeing has improved so much in the last 3 months. I'm still not right, but I am clearly not experiencing cognitive decline anymore. In December I started a regimen of plasmalogen, keta salmon roe, extremely high dose vitamin K (mg not mcg), extremely high dose olive leaf extracts (hydroxytyrosol and oleuropein - the equivalent of tens of gallons of EVOO daily), and extremely high dose SAMe. The latest change that I've noticed is a significant reduction in brain fog and neuropathy after eating carbs and I suspect this is signalling a significant increase in insulin sensitivity. I have stopped using each of the things in this new regimen (except the fish roe) during the last month for at least 1 week and each time I didn't feel as good as when I was dosing all 5. Instead of discontinuing the fish roe, I doubled it (as I was out of plasmalogen), and found additional benefits at the higher dose so I've continued with 2 ounces per day. I think I'm getting between 2 and 3 grams of phospholipid/plasmalogen-bound DHA daily.

Given what I understand about dementia, I expect that this will be a beneficial tool if you happen to have low cell membrane-bound plasmalogen levels (an HDL/TC ratio of less than .32 might be an indicator according to Dr. Goodenowe's research - mine has run between 1/4 and 1/6 for the last 15 years). For me this combo is magical - I'm feeling both cognitive and circulatory benefits. I hypothesize this is due to genetic low endogenous DHA-based phospholipids and plasmalogens, genetic endothelial dysfunction/atherosclerosis due to decades of high serum homocysteine, and increased demand for DHA-based phospholipids and plasmalogen due to chronic mercury poisoning from more than a dozen fillings some in place for 40 years (and perhaps microbial production of methylmercury due to high-dose methyl-B12 supplementation with mercury fillings from 2015-2017), but I haven't had enough money to do enough testing of this hypothesis. :ugeek:
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TreeHugger wrote::ugeek:
Thanks for all that TH. It’s great to hear of your progress, and I’m grateful for you highlighting the FADS connection here for me to explore.

One thing you could consider trying, now that you feel sure you need all five components, would be halving them one by one just to check whether you need doses as high as you’re using.

Have you had your mercury fillings removed? I have a complicated mouth too and the cost of doing the supposedly desired protocol would be in the thousands and pose a whole new set of risks. So, I’m leaving well enough alone and hoping to adequately support my detox and overall health to counteract it. I have one exposed mercury filling I may have removed; the others are under crowns if they’re there, thanks to a lifetime of ‘soft teeth’.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
jasonkivo
New User
New User

Post by jasonkivo »

TreeHugger wrote:
great to hear!! Thanks for the update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TreeHugger
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TreeHugger »

circular wrote:One thing you could consider trying, now that you feel sure you need all five components, would be halving them one by one just to check whether you need doses as high as you’re using.
Good advice. I've discontinued or reduced several other supplements in response to my reaction to this new combo. The most surprising change: I started having major problems with hormone replacement therapy, so I have discontinued HRT after 12 years. My adrenal glands are once again producing normal levels of all steroids. I don't have blood level confirmation yet as I'm too chicken to go to the lab due to SARS-Cov-2, but I still consider this an objective change as I literally couldn't function while on HRT. Subjectively I've started having "magic" days where my cognition is greatly increased.
circular wrote:Have you had your mercury fillings removed? I have a complicated mouth too and the cost of doing the supposedly desired protocol would be in the thousands and pose a whole new set of risks. So, I’m leaving well enough alone and hoping to adequately support my detox and overall health to counteract it. I have one exposed mercury filling I may have removed; the others are under crowns if they’re there, thanks to a lifetime of ‘soft teeth’.
I had all of my amalgams removed in early 2017 after my health declined even though I'd started following ReCODE. I liquidated a life insurance policy and flew to Costa Rica to have the work done by an IAOMT trained dentist for roughly 1/3 of the US cost ($4,000 instead of $11,000 with airfare, lodging, and meals). I've heard that some folks have gotten their insurance to pay for the replacement of "old" fillings and crowns. I've been chelating using Andy Cutler's chelation protocol since then with slow but continuous improvement. For example, chelation restored by ability to eat cruciferous vegetables after 1.5 years (just in time to discover Plant Paradox). I've noticed that for me the redistribution symptoms that accompany the start and end of a round of chelation are greatly suppressed with Prodrome-Neuro. I suspect this is because plasmalogen is preferentially attacked by mercury (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29269315) and increasing serum plasmalogen reduces cellular stress caused by the membrane damage resulting from mercury freed by chelation.

My advice to anyone with dental amalgam is to have it safely removed as soon as possible. Even amalgam under crowns as it leaks into the bloodstream. I felt benefits within 2 weeks of amalgam removal (resolution of multi-decade sinusitis and adult acne for instance). I think the benefits of amalgam removal for APOE e4 carriers are even greater than e3 or e2 carriers - especially in given that chronic mercury poisoning should decrease membrane-bound plasmalogens and APOE e4 should increase membrane-bound cholesterol resulting in membrane stiffness and dysfunction. I believe that my recently increase insulin sensitivity and adrenal output resulted from increased membrane-bound plasmalogen.

BTW, my high rate of cavity formation results primarily from oral dysbiosis due to a loss-of-function SNP in the FUT2 gene (rs601338 for Europeans). The loss of the FUT2 enzyme causes a host of immune issues and interferes with B12 distribution.
babl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by babl »

I got my first shipment of ProdromeNeuro Plasmalogen oil today! Woot! The suggested dosage says 1 ml per day, mixed into a beverage. I'm curious how others are taking this? Treehugger? Anyone else? Does it have a taste or aftertaste? Is it better mixed with certain beverages? Excited to get started on this, especially after reading Treehugger's reports (thanks)!!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

babl wrote:I got my first shipment of ProdromeNeuro Plasmalogen oil today! Woot! The suggested dosage says 1 ml per day, mixed into a beverage. I'm curious how others are taking this? Treehugger? Anyone else? Does it have a taste or aftertaste? Is it better mixed with certain beverages? Excited to get started on this, especially after reading Treehugger's reports (thanks)!!
I just put it in my mouth straight. I've been a beta tester and have been doing this for many months.
Tincup
E3,E4