Plasmalogens- exciting new evidence

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Plasmalogens- exciting new evidence

Post by Plumster »

Would this be a similar product?
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Plumster, that one has a very tiny dose of 1mg a day.
Dr Goodenowe emailed me and Julie to say that in his opinion, both doses are too low.
He said:

"We expect the long-term prevention dose in humans to be between 500-1000mg/day."

He will hopefully respond himself in this thread.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Stavia, Thanks for your reply. Good to know!
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Stavia wrote:Brand new Plasmalogen supplement. Ethanolamine- plasmalogen 14mg per capsule with DHA at sn-2.
Made here in New Zealand from local marine sources. I have been trying it for almost 2 weeks, I was very kindly given a bottle to trial.
Any thoughts on whether this supplement is best taken in a fasted state or with meals? And any reason why the time of day might matter? I'm probably splitting hairs again, but it's expensive...
4/4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Good questions Rainbow, not sure.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
docmaas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by docmaas »

http://www.medicinacomplementar.com.br/ ... o-1195.pdf

Is this another way to enhance plasmalogens?

Myo-Inositol Treatment Increases Serum Plasmalogens and Decreases Small Dense LDL, Particularly in Hyperlipidemic Subjects with Metabolic Syndrome

Summary:
Background and aim: We have previously shown that serum plasmalogen levels positively correlate with HDL, and significantly decrease with aging, and may be related to LDL particle size. The objective of the present study was to investigate the effects of increased serum plasmalogens on lipidosis, particularly the appearance of atherogenic small dense LDL (sdLDL), of subjects with hyperlipidemia and metabolic syndrome (MetS). Methods and results: The effects of increased serum plasmalogen levels, induced by 2 wk of myo-inositol treatment, on several clinical and biochemical parameters were examined in 17 hyperlipidemic subjects including some with MetS. After myo-inositol treatment, significant increases in plasmalogen-related parameters, particularly ChoPlas, and significant decreases in atherogenic cholesterols including sdLDL, were observed. Among the hyperlipidemic subjects treated with myo-inositol, compared to subjects without MetS, subjects with MetS had a significant increase in plasmalogens and a tendency towards reduced sdLDL, high sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP), and blood glucose levels. Correlation analyses between the measured parameters showed that plasmalogens, as well as HDL, function as beneficial factors, and that sdLDL is a very important risk factor that shows positive correlations with many other risk factors. Conclusion: These results suggest that increased plasmalogen biosynthesis and/or serum levels are especially effective in improving MetS among hyperlipidemic subjects with MetS.
Key Words plasmalogens, metabolic syndrome, small dense low-density lipoprotein, myo-inositol
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Interesting study from 2008 of 17 Japanese humans, 15 male, all on treatment (no placebo) for 2 weeks - Myo-inositol 5 grams the first week and 10 grams the second.
A very quick pubmed search on myo inositol and plasmalogens did not find further human studies.
Slacker
E4/E4
docmaas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by docmaas »

I've been taking a pcos supplement consisting of myo-inositol and d-chiro-inositol along with sunflower lecithin for the phosphatidylinositol shown to raise hdl levels. The pcos supplement was shown in multiple studies to reduce lipid levels, blood sugar and alleviate symptoms of metsyn in women with pcos. Since I have issues in all these areas (except pcos itself (I'm male)) I'm taking 6g/day of the pcos supplement and @1g/day of the phosphatidylinositol. I do think it helps but the pcos supplement does seem to keep me awake for which I supplement with 2-4g of glycine. This is a 2-3 week experiment while traveling. When I return I plan to get some of the biomer Neuroplas.

After buying the supplement I found a study of myo-inositol vs the combination of myo and d-chiro that showed no difference so if I do it again I'll just get the myo-inositol. Most of the studies were with 2g-4g doses. I''ll also be checking lipids when I return.

Mike
docmaas
Contributor
Contributor

Myo-inositol report

Post by docmaas »

I was unable to average more than 2g/day of myo-inositol due to gastric distress. I did get an nmr lipids and the numbers were not as good as my prior lipid tests immediately prior to the start of the myo-inositol with trigs, total and ldl higher and H-ldl lower. The small dense particle count was also higher after the inositol. Nevertheless the numbers were better than no treatment at all leaving the question as to dose. Might I have done better with more myo-inositol? Perhaps, the cohort in the earlier article I posted from Japan used 5g initially and increased to 12 during the trial. They showed better numbers particularly on the small dense ldl count.

I'm now on bio-mer neuroplas 1/day for a month when I will test again. If the numbers are not as good as now or better I'll have to revert back to a statin. I'll probably give pitavastatin a shot next; my past statin immediately prior to the myo-inositol was rosuvastatin.

Mike
docmaas wrote:I've been taking a pcos supplement consisting of myo-inositol and d-chiro-inositol along with sunflower lecithin for the phosphatidylinositol shown to raise hdl levels. The pcos supplement was shown in multiple studies to reduce lipid levels, blood sugar and alleviate symptoms of metsyn in women with pcos. Since I have issues in all these areas (except pcos itself (I'm male)) I'm taking 6g/day of the pcos supplement and @1g/day of the phosphatidylinositol. I do think it helps but the pcos supplement does seem to keep me awake for which I supplement with 2-4g of glycine. This is a 2-3 week experiment while traveling. When I return I plan to get some of the biomer Neuroplas.

After buying the supplement I found a study of myo-inositol vs the combination of myo and d-chiro that showed no difference so if I do it again I'll just get the myo-inositol. Most of the studies were with 2g-4g doses. I''ll also be checking lipids when I return.

Mike
docmaas
Contributor
Contributor

Neuroplas NMR results

Post by docmaas »

neuroplas nmr results:
Many lipid numbers are worse than with statins but the two important takeaways are the size of my LDL has inreased from 20.3 on atorvastatin/rosuvastatin to 20.6 on myo-inositol and now 21.1 on Neuroplas.
My insulin resistance has decreased from 35 to 36 on myo-inositol and now <25 on Neuroplas.
HDL 50 on myo-inositol increased to 58 on Neuroplas
but triglycerides seem to not be affected by either myo-inositol or Neuroplas being elevated over statin numbers on both Myo-inositol to 73 and 103 on Neuroplas.

During the myo-inositol and neuroplas consumption I used no statins and didn't take particular care with fat or carb consumption though my carb habits have stood me in good stead so I didn't go hogwild.

I've just started Pitavastatin and will test again sometime in the next month or two. There is a lot of research indicating the pleiotropic profile for pitavastatin is better than for any of the other statins particularly as it positively impacts plasmalogen and seems to better reduce the harmful remnant cholesterol.

I need to figure out how to reduce the leg cramp impact during my swimming though. It has a 15 hour halflife and very low metabolization rate so I'll probably take it immediately post workout to reduce the impact the next day. Starting on 1mg.

Is anyone else using Neuroplas from Biomer or any other plasmalogen supplements?

Mike

l