Anaemia / Anemia

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Anaemia / Anemia

Post by NF52 »

Orangeblossom wrote:I don't know enough about it, but it sounds from that article like a positive trait to have...interesting that it is often found in Mediterranean countries, wonder if that might explain some of their good health?
Hi orangeblosson and julespap,
Sadly, the beta thalassemia gene does not explain the good health of Mediterranean people or the benefits of their diet. It is more common in people of Mediterranean ancestry, and is similar to another hemoglobin-related disease, sickle cell anemia.
It becomes a serious problem when two people with this trait have children, since it conveys a 50% risk with each pregnancy that the child will inherit the trait from each parent and be diagnosed by age one with thalassemia major, sometimes also called Mediterranean Anemia or Cooley's anemia.
I had a good friend in college whose two younger sisters had this disease, and even as children they experienced frequent transfusions and repeated hospital stays. Each died in early adulthood, as this is a progressive disease, with currently no known cure, although a dedicated group of supporters is working towards gene therapy, as noted below.
Sickle cell disease and thalassemia are genetic disorders caused by errors in the genes for hemoglobin, a substance composed of a protein ("globin") plus an iron molecule ("heme") that is responsible for carrying oxygen within the red blood cell. These disorders can cause fatigue, jaundice, and episodes of pain ranging from mild to very severe. They are inherited, and usually both parents must pass on an abnormal gene in order for a child to have the disease. When this happens, the resulting diseases are serious and, at times, fatal.

Here's a brief explanation of the significant difference in being heterozygous for the thalassemia trait:
The person is said to be heterozygous for beta thalassemia. Persons with thalassemia minor have (at most) mild anemia (slight lowering of the hemoglobin level in the blood). ... Thalassemia major (Cooley's anemia): The child born with thalassemia major has two genes for beta thalassemia and no normal beta-chain gene
https://www.medicinenet.com/beta_thalas ... rticle.htm

And here's what children with thalassemia endure:
Infants with thalassemia major are well at birth because of a special form of hemoglobin present in the fetus and newborn. Eventually, however, this hemoglobin is replaced by defective hemoglobin. Symptoms emerge late in the first year of life. The child develops pale skin, irritability, growth retardation, swelling of the abdomen due to enlargement of the liver and spleen (hepatosplenomegaly) with jaundice. This is associated with severe anemia with rupture of the red blood cells (hemolytic anemia). The child with thalassemia major becomes dependent on blood transfusions and, although they do help, they create further problems including iron overload. Folic acid supplementation is often given. At this time, the primary treatments are directed at relieving symptoms of the illness. Selected patients may qualify for bone marrow or stem cell transplants. Gene therapy remains a potential treatment for the future.
The long-term hope is that thalassemia major will be cured by insertion of the normal beta-chain gene through gene therapy or by another modality of molecular medicine.
https://www.medicinenet.com/beta_thalas ... emia_major

Genetic homozygous diseases like this are one reason when I am asked in a Clinical Trial "Do you think that AD is the worst disease someone can have?" I always "strongly disagree."

And julespap, I am so glad that you are healthy!
4/4 and still an optimist!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

A couple of comments:

Iron levels are kind of like the three bears - too much, too little, just right. Too little can cause anemia, resulting in not enough red blood cells circulating around carrying oxygen everywhere (including the brain). Too much can cause inflammation. Ferritin is a blood test than usually tells you how much iron is stored in the liver, but it can also indicate an inflamed liver, but not necessarily due to excessive iron. So one test, more than one interpretation. It must be evaluated in context. An earlier thread discusses anemia, iron, and ferritin a bit, which you may find useful.

Anemia can be caused by many many conditions, including iron deficiency. Some other causes of anemia are low vitamin B12 or folate, low thyroid, and lead poisoning - all of which can also affect cognition. So if someone is anemic, an evaluation of why is very important. If one is anemic due to low iron, then an investigation of why they have low iron is critical, not just throwing on an iron supplement. Are they losing blood (menstruation, gastric bleed), not getting enough iron in their diet, etc....
Slacker
E4/E4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

slacker wrote:A couple of comments:

Iron levels are kind of like the three bears - too much, too little, just right. Too little can cause anemia, resulting in not enough red blood cells circulating around carrying oxygen everywhere (including the brain). Too much can cause inflammation. Ferritin is a blood test than usually tells you how much iron is stored in the liver, but it can also indicate an inflamed liver, but not necessarily due to excessive iron. So one test, more than one interpretation. It must be evaluated in context. An earlier thread discusses anemia, iron, and ferritin a bit, which you may find useful.

Anemia can be caused by many many conditions, including iron deficiency. Some other causes of anemia are low vitamin B12 or folate, low thyroid, and lead poisoning - all of which can also affect cognition. So if someone is anemic, an evaluation of why is very important. If one is anemic due to low iron, then an investigation of why they have low iron is critical, not just throwing on an iron supplement. Are they losing blood (menstruation, gastric bleed), not getting enough iron in their diet, etc....

Thanks for the explanation and clarification, that's really helpful. Yes, for me it was definitely losing blood during surgery and also using a copper coil, which causes heavy periods. So now that is gone and hopefully surgeries int he past it shouldn't be as much of an issue.

I expect I would have found that thread originally if I hadn't been searching for 'anaemia' instead of anemia.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Been reading Curcumin may be a chelator of iron... https://www.alzforum.org/therapeutics/curcumin
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Orangeblossom wrote:
Thanks for the explanation and clarification, that's really helpful. Yes, for me it was definitely losing blood during surgery and also using a copper coil, which causes heavy periods. So now that is gone and hopefully surgeries int he past it shouldn't be as much of an issue.

I expect I would have found that thread originally if I hadn't been searching for 'anaemia' instead of anemia.
Ha ha "British" spelling vs "American" spelling. We rarely use the "ae". Slowly dropped since 1776. ;)

Yes, you've had 2 hits to your red blood cell count and iron available to replenish this loss. It may be helpful for you to continue on supplemental iron until your anaemia is resolved, and ferritin is around 50. I suspect your GP will be willing to monitor the red blood cell levels, and not the ferritin if it's been in the "normal" range - which is probably good enough to know when to stop the iron supplement. Especially if you're not having continued blood loss, and are eating food with iron.

I personally have had no anemia but low "normal" ferritin, so started iron supplements. I hoped that the low ferritin might be contributing to fatigue. No such luck! On iron supps, I hit a ferritin of about 50 last time it was checked with continued lousy energy. Will recheck in about 3 months to see if I can cut back on supps. (One less pill!) My diet has very little iron loaded food, since I don't eat meat. Lots of leafy greens, lots of vit C though.
Slacker
E4/E4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

slacker wrote:
Orangeblossom wrote:

Ha ha "British" spelling vs "American" spelling. We rarely use the "ae". Slowly dropped since 1776. ;)

Yes, you've had 2 hits to your red blood cell count and iron available to replenish this loss. It may be helpful for you to continue on supplemental iron until your anaemia is resolved, and ferritin is around 50. I suspect your GP will be willing to monitor the red blood cell levels, and not the ferritin if it's been in the "normal" range - which is probably good enough to know when to stop the iron supplement. Especially if you're not having continued blood loss, and are eating food with iron.

I personally have had no anemia but low "normal" ferritin, so started iron supplements. I hoped that the low ferritin might be contributing to fatigue. No such luck! On iron supps, I hit a ferritin of about 50 last time it was checked with continued lousy energy. Will recheck in about 3 months to see if I can cut back on supps. (One less pill!) My diet has very little iron loaded food, since I don't eat meat. Lots of leafy greens, lots of vit C though.
Tricky isn't it. I also don't eat much meat, just a little fish now and again. I have used Hemaplex tablets https://uk.iherb.com/pr/Nature-s-Plus-H ... ts/7662for a bit but feeling a bit better so stopping them, now. I just used half a dose. The one the NHS gave me made me quite constipated, those were better in terms of side effects. But quite strong. I'm not going to take them long term, just to get over this I think.