Anaemia / Anemia

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Anaemia / Anemia

Post by Orangeblossom »

https://www.nhs.uk/news/neurology/anaem ... ntia-risk/

"Overall, this study does suggest a link between anaemia, general poor health and dementia. But whether anaemia directly causes an increase in dementia risk is difficult to tease out.

More studies are therefore needed to determine whether a preventative strategy that just targets anaemia could effectively reduce the risk of dementia, or whether a more wide-ranging strategy is needed."

About 15% of participants had anaemia in year three of the study. These people were more likely to be older, carry the form of the ApoE gene associated with increased Alzheimer's risk, have less education and lower literacy, and have a history of diabetes, high blood pressure or heart attack.

More participants with anaemia (23%) went on to develop dementia than those who did not have anaemia (17%). After taking confounders into account, those with anaemia of any cause were still about 49% more likely to develop dementia compared with those without anaemia"

NHS gives an overview of studies of anaemia and dementia, mention of APOE4 and may be related to that. Although it seems inconclusive I wonder about how people feel about iron in supplements or iron rich foods in light of this. Or at least keeping en eye on things like anaemia or low iron stores. I have low iron stores in a blood test in recent years and doc advised iron supplements.

I was interested that more people with APOE4 had anaemia as well. Could there be some kind of link there?
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Anaemia / Anemia

Post by Orangeblossom »

From the research paper:

Results: Of 2,552 participants, 392 (15.4%) older adults had anemia at baseline. Over 11 years of follow-up, 455 (17.8%) participants developed dementia. In the unadjusted model, those with baseline anemia had an increased risk of dementia (23% vs 17%, hazard ratio = 1.64; 95% confidence interval 1.30, 2.07) compared to those without anemia. The association remained significant after adjusting for demographics, APOE ε4, baseline 3MS score, comorbidities, and renal function. Additional adjustment for other anemia measures (mean corpuscular volume, red cell distribution width), erythropoietin, and C-reactive protein did not appreciably change the results. There was no interaction by sex and race on risk of developing dementia.

Conclusion: Among older adults, anemia is associated with an increased risk of developing dementia. Findings suggest that further study of anemia as a risk factor for dementia and a target for intervention for cognitive health is warranted.

http://n.neurology.org/content/early/20 ... 31829e701d
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

OK, so now it seems iron is related to the onset of AD particularly in E4's. So what to do if you have low iron stores, I wonder. Bit confused.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... lzheimers/

"Studies have suggested that people with Alzheimer’s also have higher iron levels in their brains. Now it seems that high iron may hasten the disease’s onset.

Researchers at the University of Melbourne in Australia followed 144 older people who had mild cognitive impairment for seven years. To gauge how much iron was in their brains, they measured ferritin, a protein that binds to the metal, in their cerebrospinal fluid. For every nanogram per millilitre people had at the start of the study, they were diagnosed with Alzheimer’s on average three months earlier.

The team also found that the biggest risk gene for Alzheimer’s, ApoE4, was strongly linked with higher iron, suggesting this is why carrying the gene makes you more vulnerable.

Iron is highly reactive, so it probably subjects neurons to chemical stress, says team member Scott Ayton."

It goes on to mention about reducing iron but says “there is only a modest correlation between iron levels in the blood and in the brain.”

Everything seems to be a balancing act, at times :roll: The GP has suggested taking iron supplement, not sure about that now. Especially as have one of those genes for iron overload (a heterozygous one) Have taken on in the past, a Heme one i think.

"The team also found that the biggest risk gene for Alzheimer’s, ApoE4, was strongly linked with higher iron, suggesting this is why carrying the gene makes you more vulnerable."

Well that is interesting as seems to be the opposite of what the other paper was saying.

I noticed Stavia mentions in the primer (section about tests) that fourteen can be raised sometimes with inflammation. Wonder if it might be something to do with this.

Here is the link to the article https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms7760

Ferritin levels in the cerebrospinal fluid predict Alzheimer’s disease outcomes and are regulated by APOE

"We show that baseline CSF ferritin levels were negatively associated with cognitive performance over 7 years in 91 cognitively normal, 144 mild cognitive impairment (MCI) and 67 AD subjects, and predicted MCI conversion to AD. Ferritin was strongly associated with CSF apolipoprotein E levels and was elevated by the Alzheimer’s risk allele, APOE-ɛ4. These findings reveal that elevated brain iron adversely impacts on AD progression, and introduce brain iron elevation as a possible mechanism for APOE-ɛ4 being the major genetic risk factor for AD."
Last edited by Orangeblossom on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

I had a fatty liver when I started my journey... ferritin was through the roof! While I did not have hemochromatosis, if you do have high iron levels from my own research (and IANAD nor play one on TV) the best thing you can do is donate blood to remove excess iron. It has since gone down to just above acceptable levels, I'll know more in a couple weeks when I re-test my labs.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Thanks, but my problem is low iron stores, maybe that is a good thing! Oh, I don't know. Glad you got yours sorted though. Take care. Blood transfusions sound a bit drastic. but good to helping others as well I suppose.

Feel a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one. Feel this latter study was based in quite a small sample and quite inconclusive. Might be a bit daft not to treat a problem which needs medical treatment due to this. It's probably due to small bowel as had lots of surgery etc. Think might take heme iron but only every second or third day perhaps.

Found the full version of the first study mentioned here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3775683/

Ok, found this article useful as well. Seems the key thing is not to be too low but in the normal range. and not too high either.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/arti ... imers.aspx
julespaps
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Anaemia / Anemia

Post by julespaps »

Orangeblossom wrote:https://www.nhs.uk/news/neurology/anaem ... ntia-risk/

"Overall, this study does suggest a link between anaemia, general poor health and dementia. But whether anaemia directly causes an increase in dementia risk is difficult to tease out.

More studies are therefore needed to determine whether a preventative strategy that just targets anaemia could effectively reduce the risk of dementia, or whether a more wide-ranging strategy is needed."

About 15% of participants had anaemia in year three of the study. These people were more likely to be older, carry the form of the ApoE gene associated with increased Alzheimer's risk, have less education and lower literacy, and have a history of diabetes, high blood pressure or heart attack.

More participants with anaemia (23%) went on to develop dementia than those who did not have anaemia (17%). After taking confounders into account, those with anaemia of any cause were still about 49% more likely to develop dementia compared with those without anaemia"

NHS gives an overview of studies of anaemia and dementia, mention of APOE4 and may be related to that. Although it seems inconclusive I wonder about how people feel about iron in supplements or iron rich foods in light of this. Or at least keeping en eye on things like anaemia or low iron stores. I have low iron stores in a blood test in recent years and doc advised iron supplements.

I was interested that more people with APOE4 had anaemia as well. Could there be some kind of link there?
I have Thalassemia minor and recently read a paper from 2009 stating that it could protect against Alzheimer's. Whilst I appreciate research is essential it makes me wonder what is right from wrong sometimes. My mother died of Alzheimer's but did not have Thalassemia my Father who does is 83 has at least one variant of APOE4 gene and is fine thus far.

The report says we Steak and iron rich foods are key yet in all the recommended diets we should be avoiding saturated fats. Bit confusing if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: RE: Anaemia / Anemia

Post by Orangeblossom »

julespaps wrote:

I have Thalassemia minor and recently read a paper from 2009 stating that it could protect against Alzheimer's. Whilst I appreciate research is essential it makes me wonder what is right from wrong sometimes. My mother died of Alzheimer's but did not have Thalassemia my Father who does is 83 has at least one variant of APOE4 gene and is fine thus far.

The report says we Steak and iron rich foods are key yet in all the recommended diets we should be avoiding saturated fats. Bit confusing if you ask me.

Just had a look to see what your condition means-

"Persons with thalassemia minor have (at most) mild anemia (slight lowering of the hemoglobin level in the blood). This situation can very closely resemble that with mild iron-deficiency anemia. However, persons with thalassemia minor have a normal blood iron level (unless they are iron deficient for other reasons)."

That is interesting if it may protect against AD. I get so confused because I seem to read one study saying one thing, then another saying the opposite! It makes it hard to know what to do.

Not all the diet advise mentions not to have red meat and sat fats. I follow a med style diet which allows both of these. I mean I don't have vast amounts though.
julespaps
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: RE: Anaemia / Anemia

Post by julespaps »

Orangeblossom wrote:
julespaps wrote:

"Persons with thalassemia minor have (at most) mild anemia (slight lowering of the hemoglobin level in the blood). This situation can very closely resemble that with mild iron-deficiency anemia. However, persons with thalassemia minor have a normal blood iron level (unless they are iron deficient for other reasons)."

That is interesting if it may protect against AD. I get so confused because I seem to read one study saying one thing, then another saying the opposite! It makes it hard to know what to do.

Not all the diet advise mentions not to have red meat and sat fats. I follow a med style diet which allows both of these. I mean I don't have vast amounts though.
Same here it is very confusing. I too am following the med diet and fasting as per the Keto 12/3 that doctor Bredesen recommends and upping my supplements as I go. For thalassemia an in take of iron via supplements is bad so I avoid it. My levels fluctuate but the older I have got the better they have become. That said it does affect bilirubin levels so I can tend to get a yellow tinge. It also increases fatigue but I must say this has improved substantially since I have changed my diet.

Incidentally this is the 2009 article but it seems it was never followed up so just another false hope I presume:

https://journals.lww.com/alzheimerjourn ... nst.2.aspx

Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: RE: Re: RE: Anaemia / Anemia

Post by Orangeblossom »

julespaps wrote:
Orangeblossom wrote:
julespaps wrote:I have Thalassemia minor and recently read a paper from 2009 stating that it could protect against Alzheimer's. Whilst I appreciate research is essential it makes me wonder what is right from wrong sometimes. My mother died of Alzheimer's but did not have Thalassemia my Father who does is 83 has at least one variant of APOE4 gene and is fine thus far.

Same here it is very confusing. I too am following the med diet and fasting as per the Keto 12/3 that doctor Bredesen recommends and upping my supplements as I go. For thalassemia an in take of iron via supplements is bad so I avoid it. My levels fluctuate but the older I have got the better they have become. That said it does affect bilirubin levels so I can tend to get a yellow tinge. It also increases fatigue but I must say this has improved substantially since I have changed my diet.

Incidentally this is the 2009 article but it seems it was never followed up so just another false hope I presume:

https://journals.lww.com/alzheimerjourn ... nst.2.aspx

I don't know enough about it, but it sounds from that article like a positive trait to have...interesting that it is often found in Mediterranean countries, wonder if that might explain some of their good health? It said something about better cholesterol as well.

I think I might just see the GP if having symptoms of anaemia and maybe get a blood test, and apart from that maybe just do nothing. I think you can get iron from plant sources as well and read that is helps to have vitamin C (or foods containing it) with it, that helps it and we need more if pre-menopausal than post- (due to menstruation).

Here is the diet I am following along with intermittent fasting https://thebloodsugardiet.com/the-low-carb-plan/

I have this variant which seems to be related to iron overload. (despite having low iron stores probably due to illness / surgery in the past) The first line of the article seems to sum up the situation well.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/222 ... t=Abstract

"Control of iron homeostasis is essential for healthy central nervous system function: iron deficiency is associated with cognitive impairment, yet iron overload is thought to promote neurodegenerative diseases."

And further confusion- it seems it may also be protective for AD...https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 011-1072-z
but I bet there will be other studies saying otherwise- it was a meta analysis though. Bit mind boggling, really. And it isn't possible to see the full copy so don't really know why.. :? Especially when it sounds particularly unpleasant here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/213 ... t=Abstract
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Found this thread which might be helpful. On Ferritin levels in CSF

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2870&hilit=iron

I got a wee bit lost in it but support the main thing is to generally keep ferritin low but avoid anaemia. :?

Although it seems inconclusive if this would affect the CSF ferritin. Confused.