AIr Pollution and E4s - not a good mix (more evidence)

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

AIr Pollution and E4s - not a good mix (more evidence)

Post by Fiver »

This was in the news, so I tracked it down. More evidence that PM2.5 pollution and E4s don't mix well. Another reason to work towards cleaner air.

Maybe we should be cooperating with local clean air boards or other efforts to lower PM2.5 pollution. It seems to be a real, and significant risk to E4s.

Hallmarks of Alzheimer disease are evolving relentlessly in Metropolitan
Mexico City infants, children and young adults. APOE4 carriers have higher
suicide risk and higher odds of reaching NFT stage V at ≤40 years of age

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2018.03.023

Exposures to fine particulate matter (PM2.5) and ozone (O3) above USEPA standards are associated with
Alzheimer's disease (AD) risk. Metropolitan Mexico City (MMC) residents have life time exposures to PM2.5 and
O3 above USEPA standards. We investigated AD intra and extracellular protein aggregates and ultrastructural
neurovascular pathology in 203 MMC residents age 25.36 ± 9.23 y. Immunohistochemical methods were used
to identify AT8 hyperphosphorilated tau (Htau) and 4G8 (amyloid β 17-24). Primary outcomes: staging of Htau
and amyloid, per decade and cumulative PM2.5 (CPM2.5) above standard. Apolipoprotein E allele 4 (APOE4), age
and cause of death were secondary outcomes.

Subcortical pretangle stage b was identified in an 11month old baby. Cortical tau pre-tangles, neurofibrillary
tangles (NFT) Stages I-II, amyloid phases 1–2, Htau in substantia nigrae, auditory, oculomotor, trigeminal and
autonomic systems were identified by the 2nd decade. Progression to NFT stages III-V was present in 24.8% of
30–40 y old subjects. APOE4 carriers have 4.92 times higher suicide odds (p=0.0006), and 23.6 times higher
odds of NFT V (p < 0.0001) v APOE4 non-carriers having similar CPM2.5 exposure and age. Age (p=0.0062)
and CPM2.5 (p=0.0178) were significant for developing NFT V. Combustion-derived nanoparticles were associated
with early and progressive damage to the neurovascular unit. Alzheimer's disease starting in the
brainstem of young children and affecting 99.5% of young urbanites is a serious health crisis. Air pollution
control should be prioritised. Childhood relentless Htau makes a fundamental target for neuroprotective interventions
and the first two decades are critical. We recommend the concept of preclinical AD be revised and
emphasize the need to define paediatric environmental, nutritional, metabolic and genetic risk factor interactions
of paramount importance to prevent AD. AD evolving from childhood is threating the wellbeing of our
children and future generations.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: AIr Pollution and E4s - not a good mix (more evidence)

Post by slacker »

Yikes!

Here's a parallel thread on air pollution, started in 2014!
Slacker
E4/E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks Fiver! I’ve been trying to sound the alarm bells as you know. It’s a pretty sleepy issue in the world at large. We are again the canaries in the coal mine.

Please don’t anyone wear artificial fragrances in public! Their use is on the rise, even among men and being pumped into stores in greater and greater quantities. I predict they will be shown to be something akin to ‘second-hand smoke’, at least for those who are reactive to salicylates and benzoates, which are protective defense chemicals in many foods and plants and added to fragrances as preservatives.

Sorry that’s a tangent from the more scientific article Fiver posted, but I’m so sick of the fragrance menace. Even friends who know I’m sensitive to fragrances wear them when we meet and hug hello! What should I do?! Is it okay to tell a friend to leave that stuff at home where it belongs? For them wearing a fragrance is a preference, for me and others it’s a toxin we need to avoid.
Last edited by circular on Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

In my little town, not many people are over-users of fragrances. I hadn't thought of it - but I guess that's good!

The particulate matter (PM2.5) is a BIG problem here, however. Looking forward to electric vehicles taking over. All of us here will be better off.
jordansmom
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jordansmom »

DC is one of the most polluted cities in the country, but, unfortunately, I can't go anywhere for some years yet, as my job is here. I grew up in Greenville, SC, though, which is a lot less polluted. Hopefully the years I've spent in the DC-area haven't doomed me. Totally agree WRT lowering PM2.5. I have to wonder, though, how Europeans are faring. PM2.5 levels in European cities are often much higher than in US cities due to their increased use of diesel-fuelled cars. Here is an interesting comparison of PM2.5 levels around the world: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/data ... ted-region

If these numbers are any guide and the research cited above regarding air pollution and AD pans out, China and India are in deep trouble.
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

I’ve been worried about this for quite some time since I grew up in the most polluted city in the U.S.; Visalia, CA. Besides that, my father smoked in the house for 35 years. I’m quite certain I have that crap in my brain and don’t know what to do about it aside from eating A LOT of broccoli. Any ideas?
E4/E4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I’m quite certain I have that crap in my brain and don’t know what to do about it aside from eating A LOT of broccoli. Any ideas?
I was going to say liposomal gluthathione, possibly, but it looks like inhaling glutathione is preferred. I've never tried it, not even sure where to get it:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18517105

And more fruits and vegetables:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/omcl/2014/671539/
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Plumster wrote:
I’m quite certain I have that crap in my brain and don’t know what to do about it aside from eating A LOT of broccoli. Any ideas?
I was going to say liposomal gluthathione, possibly, but it looks like inhaling glutathione is preferred. I've never tried it, not even sure where to get it:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18517105

And more fruits and vegetables:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/omcl/2014/671539/
Dr. Ben Lynch has a liposomal glutathione drops here. He has this article about Sensitivity to Smells that you may be able to glean information from too.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Yes, but I think an intranasal spray glutathione is considered better than the liquid.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

I`m wondering about the apoe4 suicide connection. Did the people who comitted suicide know their apoe status?