Pilot Trial finds Ketogenic Diet Beneficial in Mild AD

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
MichaelR
Contributor
Contributor

Pilot Trial finds Ketogenic Diet Beneficial in Mild AD

Post by MichaelR »

After I just got through saying that there has yet to be a trial of ketogenic diets or supplements to show a clear positive effect in AD patients or people at high risk:
Alzheimer's & Dementia: Translational Research & Clinical Interventions
Volume 4, 2018, Pages 28-36
Feasibility and efficacy data from a ketogenic diet intervention in Alzheimer's disease
Matthew K. Taylor, Debra K. Sullivan, Jonathan D. Mahnken, Jeffrey M. Burns, Russell H. Swerdlow
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trci.2017.11.002

Highlights

• The medium-chain triglyceride–supplemented KD was feasible in very mild (clinical dementia rating [CDR] 0.5) and mild (CDR 1) Alzheimer's disease participants, as 10 of 11 participants adhered to the dietary protocol.
• The medium chain triglyceride-supplemented KD was not feasible in moderate (CDR 2) Alzheimer's disease participants as all four of these participants withdrew from the study.
• Dietary compliant participants had a 4.1-point mean improvement on Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale-cognitive subscale scores from baseline to the end of the diet. Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale-cognitive subscale improvements diminished after a 1-month diet washout period.

Abstract

... The Ketogenic Diet Retention and Feasibility Trial featured a 3-month, medium-chain triglyceride–supplemented KD followed by a 1-month washout in clinical dementia rating (CDR) 0.5, 1, and 2 participants. We obtained urine acetoacetate, serum β-hydroxybutyrate, food record, and safety data. We administered the Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale-cognitive subscale and Mini–Mental State Examination before the KD, and following the intervention and washout.

We enrolled seven CDR 0.5 [so-called very mild dementia], four CDR 1 [so-called mild dementia], and four CDR 2 [so-called moderate dementia] participants. ...

Targeted macronutrient composition for the dietary intervention included approximately 70% of energy as fat (including the MCT), 20% of energy as protein, and restriction of carbohydrate to less than 10% of energy; we sought a ketogenic ratio of 1:1 (ratio of lipid consumption in grams to nonlipid consumption in grams) or better. Energy intake requirement and targeted daily MCT dosage was estimated using the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation [24]. A monthly supply of MCT oil (Now Foods, USA), which contained a combination of C8:0 and C10:0 fatty acids, was provided at each study visit. In general, the MCT dosage provided approximately 10% of total energy from fat during the first week and increased by increments of 10% during each successive week until reaching 40% ... We provided daily multivitamin, vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus supplements to help prevent micronutrient deficiencies.

One CDR 0.5 and all CDR 2 participants withdrew citing caregiver burden. The 10 completers achieved ketosis. Most adverse events were medium-chain triglyceride–related. ...

[In practice], During the intervention, total fat intake increased (fat: 90.6 g vs. 166.7 g; P < .001), and total carbohydrate intake was significantly reduced (209.8 g vs. 46.0 g; P < .001). The mean macronutrient proportion during the VHF-KD intervention was 73.4% fat, 9% carbohydrate, and 17.6% protein as energy.

Among the completers, the mean of the Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale-cognitive subscale score improved by 4.1 points during the diet (P = .02) and reverted to baseline after the washout.
This is certainly a positive trial ;) . I've only barely skimmed it, but a few caveats largely from the abstract: it's of course a very small study; there were no controls; the "completers" (AKA "per protocol") analysis is generally considered to be bad scientific form; this comes against a background of several studies finding no effect; there was no information about apoE variant (in past studies, where there has been a hint of an effect, it's been in APOEε4 non-carriers].
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Pilot Trial finds Ketogenic Diet Beneficial in Mild AD

Post by Orangeblossom »

Sounds positive. Shame they didn't test for E4. Also would be good to see studies on prevention rather than when AD had already developed, as well. I was interested to see how the caregivers really seemed to struggle with a keto diet in the moderate rather than mild group, and how cooking lessons seemed to help- I got the feeling this was more than a study based simply on capsules or feeding a supplementary drink.
MichaelR
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MichaelR »

Orangeblossom wrote: I was interested to see how the caregivers really seemed to struggle with a keto diet in the moderate rather than mild group, and how cooking lessons seemed to help- I got the feeling this was more than a study based simply on capsules or feeding a supplementary drink.
Well, it clearly wasn't based simply on capsules or feeding a supplementary drink: as I quoted in my opening post, they had to be trained to prepare a "hard-core" (<10% of energy from carbohydrate) ketogenic diet that would maintain the patient in energy balance for three months, while incorporating a rampup to 40% of fat Calories coming from MCT. That's a hard thing to do at all, and even harder when you have to get a subject with mild or moderate dementia — and 64+ years of established dietary preferences — to eat it, and not either go on de facto hunger strike or find a way to get into the bread and cookies (or even the kidney beans and oatmeal).
Orangeblossom wrote:Also would be good to see studies on prevention rather than when AD had already developed, as well.
I agree, but of course you're then talking about a decade or more trial with hundreds or more likely thousands of people — and the need for someone to pay for it.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I was simply commenting that it is nice to see a study using real foods- many studies in the past for example with such diets have used processed formulas and drinks, for example. And that it would be nice to see long term studies on prevention- similar to what lots of us are doing in this group. ;)

I agree it is a positive study.