Move over Ubiquinol

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Move over Ubiquinol

Post by Julie G »

I'm considering switching my ubiquinol out for MitoQ after reading this press release. is anybody already taking it?
Older adults who take an antioxidant that specifically targets mitochondria see age-related changes in blood vessels reverse by the equivalent of 15 to 20 years within six weeks, a new study shows.
You can find the paper here:
Chronic Supplementation With a Mitochondrial Antioxidant (MitoQ) Improves Vascular Function in Healthy Older Adults
http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/71/6/1056
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Move over Ubiquinol

Post by circular »

Nice to see a study on MitoQ by NIH rather than the MitoQ team itself (if I got that right in a fast skim). I was taking it and switched to ubiquinol :lol: I don't feel any different on either one. I liked the idea that although MitoQ wasn't perfectly supported as special over ubiquinol (conflicts of interest in researchers), at least MitoQ made the claim that it gets into cells. Then I got tired of spending more for it while not knowing for certain if it had any therapeutic edge and not feeling any different on it.

Now that my cardio labs are looking quite robustly good, I'm not sure I need to spend more on MitoQ to address vascular pathology?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Wow, 15-20yrs of damage reversal by a little bit of MitoQ seems like such a bold statement. I was looking at MitoQ and was surprised to see the dosage is a pretty tame 5 milligram capsule... that's like CoQ10x100.

I came across this article, but I'm not sure how the dosage compares in humans:
https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/ ... phy2.13667

"We have found that MitoQ can cause significant mitochondrial toxicity in kidney tissue independent of anti‐oxidant activity."

Idebenone is another intriguing CoQ10 analog -- I've heard the ketone researcher Dominic D'Agostino refer to it as a prophylactic for age-related macular degeneration.
antimatter37
Contributor
Contributor

Post by antimatter37 »

It always bothers me a bit when one of the study authors happens to be on the board of the company that makes or licenses the stuff
(Antipodean Pharmaceuticals, Inc.).
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

It always bothers me a bit when one of the study authors happens to be on the board of the company that makes or licenses the stuff
Good sleuthing, antimatter37. I was looking for that connection and didn't easily see it. I think we need to take that conflict of interest into account when reading the science. I always like independent confirmation.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

Ubiquinone slightly reduced lifespan in flies. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 9581-g004/

ITP is testing MitoQ. It will be interesting to see the results. I've tried it and it does wonders for the mitochondria. I worry about it downregulating existing ubiquinone levels.

MitoQ lost funding from venture capital partners when one of their phase trials failed for their targeted disease intervention. They've been scraping along selling supplements and hocking sponsored research that always has some screwed up strain of mice using their supplement, and MitoQ 'improves their health'. I don't recall any normal lifespan mice every taking MitoQ and doing better.

I used to think Methylene Blue would be a safer choice, that would accomplish nearly the same thing as MitoQ, but it didn't really do much in ITP testing, although maximal female lifespan of mice was extended marginally (with significance). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... ure/fig05/

Maybe NR or curcumin/j147 is the answer to mitochondrial health.