New finding that lentils can lower blood glucose levels

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
SGW811
Contributor
Contributor

New finding that lentils can lower blood glucose levels

Post by SGW811 »

New study from Canada published in the Journal of Nutrition finds that replacing half a portion or a full portion of starchy carbohydrates with lentils and/or other pulses reduces blood glucose levels up to 20% and 35% respectively.

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article-abs ... m=fulltext
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: New finding that lentils can lower blood glucose levels

Post by Julie G »

...and red lentils (esp.) are super high in resistant starch. I think Gundry still lumps them in with the pseudo-grains to avoid. I’m going to dig deeper.
Verax
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Verax »

Small green lentils as well as red also had a similar positive effect on glucose in this study, but other studies have shown considerable inter-subject variability in glucose response to various carbohydrate. That seems to depend on how it is prepared (chilling can lead to conversion to resistant carb), the personal genome, and the personal microbiome, as well as visceral fat and insulin resistance. A couple of Israelis have promoted a proprietary personalized nutrition program to replace a standard glycemic index (or load figure) for everybody, using blood glucose monitoring for a couple of weeks, and artificial intelligence to analyze data. https://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674%2815%2901481-6 and http://personalnutrition.org/AboutGuests.aspx
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I'm not quite sure what to make of the study. It seems sort of obvious that if you took one the highest GI foods in existence (rice) and removed half of it, you would see a reduction in the net GI of the meal. Apparently if you remove 50% of the rice, you attenuate the effect on serum glucose by 20%... although looking at plasma insulin iAUC and Cmax, there wasn't a significant effect after replacing half the rice with lentils. If the participants went with riced cauliflower post-workout, I would imagine you'd see a much larger effect on glucose + insulin.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm not quite sure what to make of the study. It seems sort of obvious that if you took one the highest GI foods in existence (rice) and removed half of it, you would see a reduction in the net GI of the meal.
True, but it's interesting to consider through the resistant starch lens; many benefits there- primarily feeding the good gut bugs while getting to enjoy a otherwise off-limit food. I've been playing around with tossing a small amount of (soaked, cooked, and cooled) legumes into my salads and loving it. Lentils are another nice option.
ChipW
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ChipW »

Dr. RHonda Patrick is big on lagumes. I saw in an interview where she said she had seen no scientific evidence that beans were bad. She is a 3/4.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:I've been playing around with tossing a small amount of (soaked, cooked, and cooled) legumes into my salads and loving it. Lentils are another nice option.
I've been putting 50 gms of lentils (for now using Trader Joe's prepackaged, refrigerated, steamed black lentils) into a bowl that has a tablespoon or two of EVOO in the bottom. I then crack two eggs over the top and pressure cook seven minutes on high (I think you like yours runnier than I do though). The lentils already have quite a bit of salt in them. This is really holding me a long time without feeling any desire to eat again, even though it would be considered less of a keto meal and more of a high carb meal.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Lentils can be nice in a veggie soup.
Ame
New User
New User

Post by Ame »

Hello there! New member here, wife of a 30yr old wonderful man, who has a very scary history of alzheimer's in his family (grandfather diagnosed at 75, mother diagnosed at 59- unfortunately falling in the early-onset group??). We did not get tested for the Apoe4 gene for various reasons, so we don't really know his status. Anyway, I am determined to do anything possible to prevent dementia happening to us 30 years from now. I am also passionate about healthy eating, and have been trying to do it right for some time now. I have been searching the group for info about apoe4 diet and recommendations. I found valuable stuff, I understood much more, but am.now really confused about what we can actually eat. My simple question is this: could someone please help me in gathering some recipes and mealplans for us to put into practice? We were very used to eating a lot of fruit, vegetables, but also raw milk and other dairy coming straight from the local producers, rarely ate meat (but nonetheless did), eggs, beans, pasta, no refined products, no sugar at all (execept birthdays and such). I thought i was doing the right dietary choices. Sorry for sounding stupid, i am in need of a little help here. Thank you!!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Ame wrote:My simple question is this: could someone please help me in gathering some recipes and mealplans for us to put into practice? We were very used to eating a lot of fruit, vegetables, but also raw milk and other dairy coming straight from the local producers, rarely ate meat (but nonetheless did), eggs, beans, pasta, no refined products, no sugar at all (execept birthdays and such). I thought i was doing the right dietary choices.
The problem is your question is not simple, because there’s no absolute consensus as to how ApoE4s should eat. Although first and foremost, as discussed in the Primer https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418 most importantly, we should be eating to eliminate insulin resistance and maintain insulin sensitivity

I can tell you some of us follow Dr Gundry’s recommendations for ApoE4s. He’s been testing and observing dietary/supplementation actions on ApoE4s for about 17 years now, longer than any other practicing doctor that I know of. I keep asking on these forums for a doctor who has more first hand experience and no one has produced one. He would take issue with eating so much fruit, some vegetables that you probably consume, eating beans and pastas and he doesn't recommend dairy products for ApoE4s.

He has written two books with recipes and mealplans: The Plant Paradox and The Plant Paradox Cookbook, we follow his yes/no list and pull recipes from those books as well as glean from on-line sources, such as the facebook pages dedicated to Dr Gundry’s way of eating. As ApoE4 carriers, my husband and I have restrict his recommendations even more, the wiki https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Dr_Gundry%27s_Protocol addresses the specific guidance that he gives to ApoE4s. I should add, in following his diet our bloodwork improved and our markers are outstanding.

The wiki also has a Recipes from our Members section: https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Recipes_from_our_members
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4