Irish scientists discover nutrients that slow Alzheimer’s Disease

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Irish scientists discover nutrients that slow Alzheimer’s Disease

Post by ru442 »

Interesting... I've not gone down the rabbit hole but am sure someone on here will!!

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/nutri ... rs-disease

The supplement is in pre-order stage.. link is at the end of the article.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Irish scientists discover nutrients that slow Alzheimer’s Disease

Post by Julie G »

Here's the paper: https://content.iospress.com/articles/j ... /jad180160

Points to using foods high in DHA, lutein, zeaxanthin- all vital for eye health (interesting connection.) Salmon, leafy greens, pastured egg yokes, orange peppers, dark berries...
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

All of which are in most of our diets here, wonder if "super-charging" with the supplement has any benefit? I suppose the larger study will reveal more.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

ru442 wrote:The supplement is in pre-order stage.. link is at the end of the article.
I like the combo they put together, but it's admittedly a little unimaginative for something in a pre-order stage that's been formulated by scientists... I did a little digging to quantify some of my lutein+leaxanthin intake:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000 ... 00-1w.html

That supplement contains 20mg of lutein + zeaxanthin, but a small serving of kale alone is 40mg. (Kale yeah!) :D

For a similar sort of approach, I think I prefer something like the Advantage product from Longevinex topped with fish oil, or a number of other options that bring more to the table.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I also had a look and thought the supplement didn't look that great and could probably get it already from foods and a fish oil capsule.
Whatnow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Whatnow »

I wonder if it matters that the Lutein + zeaxanthins and meso-zeaxanthins were taken at the same time as the fish oil? Does that mean if you hope to get the same effect with diet you should certainly be eating your fish with a nice salad with colorful vegetables? AS opposed to eating fish for breakfast and only having a salad at night?
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Whatnow wrote:I wonder if it matters that the Lutein + zeaxanthins and meso-zeaxanthins were taken at the same time as the fish oil? Does that mean if you hope to get the same effect with diet you should certainly be eating your fish with a nice salad with colorful vegetables? AS opposed to eating fish for breakfast and only having a salad at night?
Personally, I don't think this would matter so much as consuming the carotenoids along with some sort of fat to improve uptake. There are a lot of interesting carotenoids this supplement is missing out on like lycopene, beta-cryptoxanthin, astaxanthin, fucoxanthin, etc.