virus linked to Amyloid Beta

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

virus linked to Amyloid Beta

Post by PBW »

Has anyone else come across this research? I have read that many Apoe4's have herpes, but this adds to it.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/06/21/her ... -149860110

What do you think?
rws
Contributor
Contributor

Re: virus linked to Amyloid Beta

Post by rws »

See previous thread.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

PBW wrote:Has anyone else come across this research? I have read that many Apoe4's have herpes, but this adds to it.
https://www.statnews.com/2018/06/21/her ... -149860110
What do you think?
Hi PBW,
Here's the link to the thread that rws mentioned. Early Alzheimer's and herpes

As for "what do you think?": I think this and the studies they say are going to be following will offer several possibilities. In the near term, they may be looking at whether there's a critical window for these specific herpes viruses to potentially cause damage, either directly, or because they stimulate the production of amyloid to seal off the virus, with the extra amyloid causing problems years or decades later. Immunotherapy is a hot topic in science research now, so looking at a therapy that would prevent the herpes simplex viruses (or others) from crossing the blood-brain barrier could also be a priority.

For right now, it's interesting, but probably should not lead anyone who has ever had any herpes virus to panic.
4/4 and still an optimist!
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

I am headed to my gynecologist on Friday to go through hormone supplementation as it relates to Gundry and Bredesen's suggestions. Currently I do not use any hormone replacement. I will also check in with her about the different herpes types especially 5 and 6. If there is anything to share I will do so.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Just a follow up. At 67 with no symptoms my gynecologist does not recommend I take any hormones especially with my mother having breast cancer 5 years after doubling her dose of hormones and before research suggested that hormones can increase breast cancer incidence. We didn't discuss herpes. Oops I just forgot.