Dark Side of 23&Me and Prometheus

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dark Side of 23&Me and Prometheus

Post by TheBrain »

Well, I see my family doctor today. I’m going to ask him to test my APOE genetics. I never confirmed my 23andMe results. A part of me is excited at the prospect that my results might be incorrect, but most of me thinks that’s silly.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

TheBrain wrote:Well, I see my family doctor today. I’m going to ask him to test my APOE genetics. I never confirmed my 23andMe results. A part of me is excited at the prospect that my results might be incorrect, but most of me thinks that’s silly.
A blood test through Quest Diagnostics confirmed that I am E4/E4. The result comments say this is “normal.” Normal compared to what?
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

TheBrain wrote:A blood test through Quest Diagnostics confirmed that I am E4/E4. The result comments say this is “normal.” Normal compared to what?

Just a guess, but most blood tests flag results that are outside expected values. Since APOE4/4 is one of the possible or expected values, it’s “normal”. Sounds like this testing was not offering any genetic interpretation. 23&me claims to have about 99% accuracy; I’d say you can assume that it’s correct. Allows us to get on with the important things in life. It’s only 2 SNPs; with a gazillion other things inside and out making us who we are and will be.
4/4 and still an optimist!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thanks, NF52. I bet you're right.

I got the results through my doctor's portal, and all I got was "4/4" and result comments stating that it's "normal." However, I suspect that when I have the results from Quest in hand, there will be some kind of interpretation. There are several notes that begin with "See..." but whatever I'm meant to see is not visible (or clickable) in the portal.

It would have been interesting if I had gotten a "5/5" result. :)
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

TheBrain wrote:However, I suspect that when I have the results from Quest in hand, there will be some kind of interpretation.
In case you don't already know, you can set up a userid with Quest and be alerted when your labs processed by them are available. You can then go online and review the results, print them, save on your computer as a pdf, etc. You don't have to wait to get them from the provider. I do this as a regular joe client with Labcorp.
Slacker
E4/E4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thanks, Slacker!