As Alzheimer’s drug developers give up on today’s patients, where is the outrage?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Whatnow
Contributor
Contributor

Re: As Alzheimer’s drug developers give up on today’s patients, where is the outrage?

Post by Whatnow »

I know of two people diagnosed with Alzheimer's. One is the mother-in-law of a friend. He tells me that one of her children tries to talk to the others about possible treatments. They have angrily told him to stop telling them about stuff he reads on the internet because there is nothing you can do about Alzheimers. My Wife has just returned from visiting her family. Her step-sister's husband was diagnosed last year with Alzheimer's. I bought a copy of Bredesen's book for them and spoke to her a length about it. I thought at the time she would try to do something with the knowledge. They have done nothing. I don't blame her as they are overwhelmed with medical problems these last few years. I blame instead the medical community that works so hard to extinguish all hope for improvement with this disease. If the treatment does not come from a major pharmaceutical company, they seem blind to it. I don't know whether Bredesen is right or not. However, reading the smug, dismissive comments on pharmaceutical and other websites when they're asked about his work is disgusting to me. Forgive my rant. They live on the coast of north carolina and there are only two doctors there who treat alzheimer's patients. They both treat them the same way. Perhaps a few years from now science will realize that Bredesen was on to something, perhaps not. Either way, it will be too late for these two patients.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: As Alzheimer’s drug developers give up on today’s patients, where is the outrage?

Post by PBW »

Thank you Julie.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

PBW wrote:...phase 3 research for a cure in his opinion will be a drug to eliminate AB and TAU and is a few generations away.
I thought that Dr Bredesen was suggesting that AB may actually be protective, and it is only after it accumulates and grows into the larger plaques that it starts to be destructive...?

I can see how using CRISPR might help, turning E4 into E3, but still work to be done there. If there's going to be a magic bullet, that seems like the best chance. In the meantime, following the ReCode protocol seems like my best chance to be all here when a cure does come.
Sonoma Mike
4/4