Once daily eating improves health and longevity REGARDLESS of meal composition

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Once daily eating improves health and longevity REGARDLESS of meal composition

Post by Julie G »

This new paper touches on aspects of our recent discussion about autophagy in this thread. You can read the full press release here.
"Increasing daily fasting times, without a reduction of calories and regardless of the type of diet consumed, resulted in overall improvements in health and survival in male mice," said de Cabo. "Perhaps this extended daily fasting period enables repair and maintenance mechanisms that would be absent in a continuous exposure to food."
Apparently (can't get full-text) the mice who ate once a day; both with and without CR yielded improved health regardless of the diet utilized. Of course, I want to know if a high fat diet was one of those trialed... From the graphics, it appears that 30% CR was the most beneficial, but eating once a day (all diets) also extended longevity. Can we assume that the benefits of autophagy persevered?

Here's the paper:

Daily Fasting Improves Health and Survival in Male Mice Independent of Diet Composition and Calories
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub
The importance of dietary composition and feeding patterns in aging remains largely unexplored, but was implicated recently in two prominent nonhuman primate studies. Here, we directly compare in mice the two diets used in the primate studies focusing on three paradigms: ad libitum (AL), 30% calorie restriction (CR), and single-meal feeding (MF), which accounts for differences in energy density and caloric intake consumed by the AL mice. MF and CR regimes enhanced longevity regardless of diet composition, which alone had no significant impact within feeding regimens. Like CR animals, MF mice ate quickly, imposing periods of extended daily fasting on themselves that produced significant improvements in morbidity and mortality compared with AL. These health and survival benefits conferred by periods of extended daily fasting, independent of dietary composition, have major implications for human health and clinical applicability.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Once daily eating improves health and longevity REGARDLESS of meal composition

Post by Fiver »

Hi Julie. I hope all is well. This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I can get the paper, one way or another. Even though I know we can't share the whole thing maybe I can add a few clips in the next few days. By coincidence we began discussing autophagy in class today. Here's what we are reading, a nice primer on autophagy (though a few years old):

Mammalian macroautophagy at a glance
Brinda Ravikumar, Marie Futter, Luca Jahreiss, Viktor I. Korolchuk, Maike Lichtenberg, Shouqing Luo, Dunecan C. O. Massey, Fiona M. Menzies, Usha Narayanan, Maurizio Renna, Maria Jimenez-Sanchez, Sovan Sarkar, Benjamin Underwood, Ashley Winslow, David C. Rubinsztein
Journal of Cell Science 2009 122: 1707-1711; doi: 10.1242/jcs.031773
http://jcs.biologists.org/content/122/11/1707
Last edited by Fiver on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Once daily eating improves health and longevity REGARDLESS of meal composition

Post by Fiver »

Oh. It is "in press". Not available yet.
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kenny4/4 »

Good News!
On a FWIW note- In my experience, doing once a day eating 22/2 (22 hour fast and 2 hour feeding) is far easier to transition to then a 12/3 (12 hr fast starting 3 hours before bedtime ) is to a 16/8 (16 hour fast 8 hour feeding). Once a day feeding makes your life more productive and you don't have to constantly worry about a social or family event that you eat at that starts late. You can control what you eat better as well as it is all one meal and much simpler to plan for one meal. It is a really great way to go and a lot easier than you would think.
rniam1995
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Once daily eating improves health and longevity REGARDLESS of meal composition

Post by rniam1995 »

Kenny4/4 wrote:Good News!
On a FWIW note- In my experience, doing once a day eating 22/2 (22 hour fast and 2 hour feeding) is far easier to transition to then a 12/3 (12 hr fast starting 3 hours before bedtime ) is to a 16/8 (16 hour fast 8 hour feeding). Once a day feeding makes your life more productive and you don't have to constantly worry about a social or family event that you eat at that starts late. You can control what you eat better as well as it is all one meal and much simpler to plan for one meal. It is a really great way to go and a lot easier than you would think.
Hi kenny4/4...What do you eat in your 2 hour window and when is your window?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I've been doing this for 3 1/4 years and I heartily concur!
rniam1995 wrote:What do you eat in your 2 hour window and when is your window?
My window usually starts around 4PM. We are patients of Steven Gundry and eat a keto ovo-pegan diet per his instructions. We've posted all our consults and what we do here..
Tincup
E3,E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Was one of the mouse food choices a Happy Meal?
Slacker
E4/E4
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Once daily eating improves health and longevity REGARDLESS of meal composition

Post by Kenny4/4 »

rniam1995 wrote:
Hi kenny4/4...What do you eat in your 2 hour window and when is your window?

I eat a variety of things but my base carb is sweet potatoes. I eat meat, mostly fish (some of which i catch) and high quality eggs every other day but overall low quantities. I supplement with cod liver oil and fish oil.
Beets, Broccoli, nuts, olive oil, spinach, garlic, Caesar salad and many other fruits and vegetables round out the majority of my diet. I dabble occasionally in junk food but keep it small and infrequent. I avoid grains, legumes and beans as i break out in a rash if i eat them. If I am at a social event I eat the healthiest thing they serve but I don't make a production out of it and eat whatever is served.

I eat anywhere from 3:00pm to 8:00 pm and keep the window to 2 hrs. It is nice to be able to eat in this range because it is socially flexible.

Just remember to eat enough or you will get behind on calories. I lost 20lbs and went from 6'1" 190lb lean to 170lbs in 3.5 months. I lost a lot of strength in my legs. 180lbs is about right for me and I intuitively know how much to eat to stay there. Which is A LOT!! If you only eat once a day.
Hope this helps!
rniam1995
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rniam1995 »

Yes! Thank you! I've got to figure that out.

Chameleon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Chameleon »

Hi rniam1995,

Welcome to the APOE4 community! Glad you have joined us. The question of when to eat and how many times a day you should eat is an interesting one. What do you currently do each day and why are you looking to change?

I would also recommend exploring the Primer because it contains a ton of information. And I just want to point out you can search the site using the magnifying glass at the top right of the page.

Many members also tell their story in the Our Stories forum so please feel free to share more of your background with us.
I hope this site is helpful in attaining better help.