Possible help for advanced AD by removing Senescent Cells?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Possible help for advanced AD by removing Senescent Cells?

Post by mike »

Has anyone seen this article?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robinseato ... 415c71c1b7

From the article:

Scientists at the University of Texas have implicated a type of cellular stress for the first time as a player in Alzheimer's disease. And their discovery could lead to treatments for more than 20 human brain diseases including Alzheimer's and traumatic brain injury. One author of the study went as far as to say the treatment that researchers used on mice to rid them of the stressed cells actually stopped Alzheimer's disease "in its tracks."

Researchers at the The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, now called UT Health San Antonio® established a link between tau tangles and the stressed or senescent cells they found in Alzheimer's-diseased tissue. Senescence is the process by which cells irreversibly stop dividing or growing without actually dying. Already proven to be involved in cancer and aging, tau protein accumulation is known to exist in 20 human brain diseases. “Tau protein accumulation is the most common pathology among degenerative brain diseases, including Alzheimer’s disease, progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP), traumatic brain injury (TBI) and over twenty others,” the research paper notes.

Senescent cells are stressed. They are toxic. But they don’t die. They are, in effect, zombie cells. And what’s worse, these senescent cells accumulate in tissues and may contribute to tissue damage, inflammation and the development of various age-related and chronic diseases. The scientists at UT Health used senolytic drugs (agents that selectively destroy senescent cells or induce cell death) to clear the senescent cells and tau tangles in Alzheimer's mice. In the end, their experiment improved both brain function and structure.
Last edited by mike on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Possible help for more advanced AD?

Post by mike »

Here is a link to the original article in Nature:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586- ... ardian.com
Sonoma Mike
4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Possible help for advanced AD by removing Senescent Cells?

Post by circular »

This looks more encouraging than most 'AD breakthroughs' to me! Not that I'm a scientist or any such thing ;)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

I did read this, and thought I would add quercetin daily, does this make sense? It will probably help with my (already improved) allergies anyway.
pisanmc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pisanmc »

People are starting to self-experiment (in the anti-ageing circle) with removing senescent cells. Right now a blend of quercetin and datasanib (used in immunotherapy) is showing some success in humans. The quercetin by itself will not be enough to get rid of senescent cells in a sufficient way, but both drugs are synergistic and have a real effect.
So for the brave soul, senescent cell therapy already exist!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

pisanmc wrote:People are starting to self-experiment (in the anti-ageing circle) with removing senescent cells. Right now a blend of quercetin and datasanib (used in immunotherapy) is showing some success in humans.
I couldn't find datasanib. Did you mean dasatinib, a leukemia drug? Anything published on the combo in humans?
Slacker
E4/E4
pisanmc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pisanmc »

Sorry about that, yes it is Dasatinib, There are some mouse studies showing great effect and a self experiment group (through the https://www.rescueelders.org/) which has shown some reduced ageing symptoms without side effects ...you can check more by searching on youtube as well (look for talk by bill Faloon ceo of lifeextention)