Periodontitis and sporadic Alzheimer's in mice

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Verax
Contributor
Contributor

Periodontitis and sporadic Alzheimer's in mice

Post by Verax »

Periodontitis is associated with dementia and AD in cross-sectional and longitudinal studies. Nursing homes are full of demented patients with bad or missing teetch. Common infections have been associated with dementia and organisms have been found in the brain. It makes sense that chronic low-grade periodontitis or gingivitis, over many years, might cause the slow buildup of amyloid plaques and tau tangles as the brain's innate immunity system fights invaders.

A recent paper by a Chicago team tests this theory on wild-type mice (not transgenic, so not with human genes like ApoE4). Ilievski, V., et al. (2018) "Chronic oral application of a periodontal pathogen results in brain inflammation, neurodegeneration and amyloid beta production in wild type mice," https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0204941 (PLOSone, open access).
In this work, we tested the hypothesis that repeated exposure of wild type C57BL/6 mice to orally administered Pg [the gram-negative periodontal pathogen Porphromonas gingivalis] results in neuroinflammation, neurodegeneration, microgliosis, astrogliosis and formation of intra- and extracellular amyloid plaque and neurofibrillary tangles (NFTs) which are pathognomonic signs of AD

The paper doesn't establish causality. Researchers commented “Using a wild-type mouse model added strength to our study because these mice were not primed to develop the disease..... Oral hygiene is an important predictor of disease, including diseases that happen outside the mouth. People can do so much for their personal health by taking oral health seriously.” https://neurosciencenews.com/periodonta ... mers-9955/

I confess to periodically neglecting dental care but investigated the issue as an E3/E4 looking for causes of LOAD. Recently I was diagnosed with mild periodontitis and underwent cleaning and scaling. After several weeks of brushing, flossing, and mouthwash with chlorhexadine 2% and liquid turmeric, it went away on a repeat visit. I wish I had been more faithful in midlife, as that is the time when it might result in damage. Still, the docs didn't see any plaques on my PET scan nor amyloid in CSF, so I might be ok with dementia (there still is a cardiac risk with gum disease, no?).
rws
Contributor
Contributor

AD symptoms created in mice by feeding periodontitis bacteria

Post by rws »

Chronic oral application of a periodontal pathogen results in brain inflammation, neurodegeneration and amyloid beta production in wild type mice.
Ilievski V, Zuchowska PK, Green SJ, Toth PT, Ragozzino ME, Le K, et al. (2018)
PLoS ONE 13(10): e0204941.
https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0204941

"...In this work, we tested the hypothesis that repeated exposure of wild type C57BL/6 mice to orally administered Pg results in neuroinflammation, neurodegeneration, microgliosis, astrogliosis and formation of intra- and extracellular amyloid plaque and neurofibrillary tangles (NFTs) which are pathognomonic signs of AD."

They also showed that bacteria and their toxins moved into the hippocampus, strongly suggesting that this causes the symptoms. They conclude: "This study is the first to show neurodegeneration and the formation of extracellular Aβ42 in young adult WT mice after repeated oral application of Pg. The neuropathological features observed in this study strongly suggest that low grade chronic periodontal pathogen infection can result in the development of neuropathology that is consistent with that of AD."

The study reminds me a bit of the nobel-prize worthy experiment by Barry Marshall who drank a concoction with Helicobacter pylori to prove that it causes stomach ulcer. Only that this time mice were suffering for medicine. The simplicity of the experiment!
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: AD symptoms created in mice by feeding periodontitis bacteria

Post by Fiver »

Wow. My first quick read and I have the same impression: simple, strong experiments and simple, clear results.
Verax
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Periodontitis and sporadic Alzheimer's in mice

Post by Verax »

Do US dental professional organizations and licensing requirements erect barriers to meeting the vast unmet needs of elderly and patients in care institutions? Dental hygienists complain that tests are too difficult in states such as California, that licenses cannot be transferred without unnecessary re-examinations, foreign-licensed hygienists cannot be licensed here, and licensed dental hygienists cannot practice independently of a licensed dentist, such as application of silver diammine flouride instead of filling teeth. See for example North Carolina https://www.networkforphl.org/_asset/h0 ... -Sheet.pdf . I volunteer to serve lunches at a soup kitchen and talk to many old and needy people and none can afford dental care. Expensive dentists in the US today make money from cosmetics and don't seem to be onboard to prevent periodontitis if it causes an enormous wave of AD in the US. Consider talking to your state representative about improving or relaxing dental hygienist licensing as a partial solution, even if you can afford it.