apoe4 and osteoporosis.

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
rrmolo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: apoe4 and osteoporosis.

Post by rrmolo »

I started keeping track in 1999. At that time my total hip T score was -2.0 It held pretty good until 9/16 went it went to minus 2.9 and stayed at minus 2.9 on 11/18. My spine is better minus 2.2 staying close to that since 1999. Of course the doctors give you the song and dance about different machines, different readers etc. I'm very happy I was able to avoid the meds...but of course I'm not out of the woods and we are all living a little "on the edge" so to speak...but lets remember to enjoy the holidays!!!
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

TheBrain wrote:Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth: a possible risk factor for metabolic bone disease (Unfortunately, I don't have the full text.)
I have had good luck over the past few months with Sci-Hub's Taiwan address, http://sci-hub.tw. I believe a search for 10.1301/nr.2003.apr.132-135 will do the trick. :-)
rrmolo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrmolo »

I started keeping track in 1999. My total hip T score was minus 2.0 and stayed fairly steady in and out until 1916 when it jumped to minus 2.9 . But 11/18 it stayed at minus 2.9 My spine is better staying at -2.2 these last 2 years. Of course the doctors give the song and dance different machines, different operators, different results...unless you take the meds....then of course there's "improvement". But we're all living "on the edge" so to speak so lets think positively and "watch our step".. .do enjoy your Holiday!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thank you, Marc! It did the trick. ;)
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

rrmolo wrote:I started keeping track in 1999. My total hip T score was minus 2.0 and stayed fairly steady in and out until 1916 when it jumped to minus 2.9 . But 11/18 it stayed at minus 2.9 My spine is better staying at -2.2 these last 2 years. Of course the doctors give the song and dance different machines, different operators, different results...unless you take the meds....then of course there's "improvement". But we're all living "on the edge" so to speak so lets think positively and "watch our step".. .do enjoy your Holiday!
I bet you were happy to see your total hip stay steady over the last two years! It's looks to me like you're doing great.

Yes, we are all living "on the edge," aren't we? :)

Thanks, and enjoy your holiday as well!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

MarcR wrote:I have had good luck over the past few months with Sci-Hub's Taiwan address, http://sci-hub.tw. I believe a search for 10.1301/nr.2003.apr.132-135 will do the trick. :-)
I recommend the Where is Sci-Hub now? website. In theory, the following link should always point to a usable Sci-Hub link: https://whereisscihub.now.sh/go
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

TheBrain wrote:By overwhelming, do you mean that McCormick's advice contained many moving parts (like Dr. Bredesen's protocol)? Or something else? Would you not recommend his book?
It is actually a good read, a little more "science" than I expected, but I could handle that. My doctor said it was the best reference out there, and I would recommend it. I guess it was overwhelming because I had no idea how complicated osteopenia and osteoporosis were, and how many different factors you need to focus on to optimize bone health. Not a simple matter of making sure you get enough calcium in your diet and don't smoke!

I had always had good scores till my last test, so I really never paid much attention to the details of my test results. There was a good description of what the scores mean, and I found that helpful. The scientist in me is very curious to see if I can make enough changes in my lifestyle to halt or reverse it, but I know they don't recommend doing the scans too often, so I probably won't find out for a few years.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

TheBrain: I remember you as being quite small. Low body weight is a significant factor in osteoporosis. Rule of thumb I use is anything under 50kg is a significant risk factor here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Stavia wrote:TheBrain: I remember you as being quite small. Low body weight is a significant factor in osteoporosis. Rule of thumb I use is anything under 50kg is a significant risk factor here.
Thanks, Stavia. Your memory serves you well. When you saw me in 2016, I did weigh less than 50kg (110 lbs). I was about 105 lbs. Now I’m about 8 pounds less than that. For the weight loss, I’ve been pointing my finger at the ketogenic diet, but now I can also point a finger at hydrogen sulfide SIBO, which can cause malabsorption. I suspect the malabsorption could also be a factor in my worsening osteoporosis.

Within the past two years or so, I’ve had four significant falls, three of which were dog related. I didn’t break a bone. This past summer, I got injured while boogie boarding on the ocean waves. A big wave made me tumble. The front end of my boogie board slammed into the ocean floor. The back end slammed into my ribs in the area of my solar plexus. My ribs were sore for months, but I didn’t break a bone. I’ve heard that breaking a rib causes excruciating pain. I didn’texperience that. I believe I just bruised them.

So hopefully I have time to get a handle of this osteoporosis before I break a bone.
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

TheBrain wrote:Hi Anna, I'm sorry to hear you also have osteoporosis. I'm early in the research phase and haven't decided what to do (beyond continuing my bHRT).
Sorry for the extremely delayed response! Christmas (and life in general) happened! Thanks for gathering all those links, which I finally had a chance to explore.

To me it just makes sense that any condition that could impact absorption of minerals -- SIBO, celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, etc -- could contribute to osteoporosis. I'm somehow not surprised that a study found no higher rates of celiac in osteoporosis, especially since there are probably many contributors to low bone density. But I do believe the opposite -- higher rates of osteoporosis among those with celiac -- to be true, as suggested by this review: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30350261 " . . . the literature supports an association with reduced bone mineral density and increased fracture risk and celiac disease . . ."

I am intrigued by Dr. McCormick's treatment suggestions, especially alpha lipoic acid, berberine, and good fats, as I have never heard that those things could help with bone density. (I do take vitamin K2-MK7, D3, calcium, and magnesium and closely monitor my vitamin D levels).

I'm also intrigued by Dr. Fitzgerald's discussion regarding the role of inflammation. Although I am TRYING to reduce inflammation, it did not occur to me that this could be important for bone density.

I am past due for a bone density test. My last test was right on the line between osteopenia and osteoporosis. Monitoring over the last decade or so has shown a slow but steady decline from moderate osteopenia, with a somewhat steeper drop after surgical menopause at age 50 (in spite of ERT). I've decided, for now, not to test my bone density (avoiding more bad news!) and just focus on addressing root causes of all my health challenges, which I think are probably the same root causes of my low bone density. I suspect that many of the things we need to do to protect brain health will also protect bone health.

Heavy metals may also be a root cause. This study found an association between heavy metal exposure and osteoporosis. I'm sure there are others; this is just the most recent one I could find. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5153379/ Testing heavy metals is my current project.

Vitamin D receptor (BDR) genetic variants may also play a role. A topic for another day.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more