Dr. Rhonda: Get some DHA in phospholipid form

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
bladedmind
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Dr. Rhonda: Get some DHA in phospholipid form

Post by bladedmind »

I'm actually trialing no eggs at all to see if they're the cause of my chronically high hs-CRP.
Ecklonia cava to reduce CRP? Per examine.com, single study shows half reduction.
https://examine.com/supplements/ecklonia-cava/
RJones
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RJones »

Here's a "for dummies" question. Does anyone know if Dr. Rhonda's "DHA in phospholipid form" is related to the "plasmalogens" discussed on another thread? Are they the same thing? Related? Totally different?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Phospholipids are molecules with a glycerol backbone, 2 fatty acids; and a phosphate group. DHA and EPA are special kinds of fatty acids (omega 3s). Phospholipids can have DHA aa one of the fatty acids. Examples of phospholipids are phosphaditylcholine and phosphaditylserine.

Plasmalogens are a special form of a phospholipid with a different joining bond to what is found in ordinary phospholipids such as phosphaditylcholine. Plasmalogens can have DHA as one of their fatty acids.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

From the plasmalogen threadImage

RJones
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RJones »

Stavia: "Plasmalogens are a special form of a phospholipid with a different joining bond to what is found in ordinary phospholipids such as phosphaditylcholine. Plasmalogens can have DHA as one of their fatty acids. "

Thank you, Stavia! I checked out the Nordic Naturals "phospholipids" product, and it lists its main phospholipid as phosphaditylcholine, the "ordinary" phospholipid that you mention above, and not a plasmalogen. So I guess the Nordic Naturals product isn't going to to be a big source of plasmalogens.

Elsewhere on the web ( http://www.oilsfats.org.nz/wp-content/u ... v-2016.pdf ), I see that various meats, seafoods, eggs, typically have 1-2 mg of plasmalogen per gram.

So if you were to eat 1/2 pound (250g) of those foods per day, you'd get a few hundred mg of plasmalogens, which is what Dr. Goodenowe said would probably be needed as a supplement.

If that's all true, then maybe people are already getting enough plasmalogens from diet. (Unless they're on a vegan diet -- all the foods listed are animal products.)

Does this all sound about right?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Yip RJones, the trouble is if you increase your protein to that extent you need to consider Mtor activation.
Biochemistry is hideously complex. A change in one direction could lead to multiple consequences.

RJones
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RJones »

Stavia wrote:Yip RJones, the trouble is if you increase your protein to that extent you need to consider Mtor activation.
Biochemistry is hideously complex. A change in one direction could lead to multiple consequences.

250 grams of animal products -- most of them have maybe 2.5 calories per gram -- so that's <750 calories per day. If someone's not a vegetarian, they're probably already eating about that much, right?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thats about 30 to 50% of calories from protein looking across the scale from small women to larger men. 180 grams of protein a day. Far more than is necessary for say a 70kg woman. Maybe necessary for a very active and muscular 90kg man.
I personally wouldnt eat that amount of animal protein.

RJones
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RJones »

Stavia wrote:Thats about 30 to 50% of calories from protein looking across the scale from small women to larger men. 180 grams of protein a day. Far more than is necessary for say a 70kg woman. Maybe necessary for a very active and muscular 90kg man.
I personally wouldnt eat that amount of animal protein.

Thank you!

Sorry for quibbling, but I think we're talking about 250 grams of food, not specifically protein. Stepping back, the link that I gave indicates that most animal products have about 1-2 mg of plasmalogen per gram, and I think that's per gram of those foods, not per gram of protein.

A quick google check tells me that a 250 gram steak has 60 grams of protein. So if you were to eat a 250 gram steak, that would be 0.85 grams of protein per kg for a 70kg woman--not excessive, right? And she'd be getting several hundred mg of plasmalogens.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Ah sorry, yes of course that makes a huge difference :)