Dr. Rhonda: Get some DHA in phospholipid form

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Dr. Rhonda: Get some DHA in phospholipid form

Post by circular »

bladedmind wrote:Rotating the eggs does seem appropriate for someone named circular. :lol:
:D 8-)
bladedmind wrote: Here is what I could find...
Thank you bladedmind! Since I think I'm getting enough of those other nutrients, maybe I'll switch to the omega-3 eggs. :D
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Just got this reply from Nordic Naturals, but it still doesn't answer the question:
Our Omega-3 Phospholipids contains 350mg of phospholipids per serving. Below is a link for your convenience.

https://www.nordicnaturals.com/consumer ... spholipids
bladedmind
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by bladedmind »

Krill oil marketing bragged that its advantage is that the omega-3s are phospholipid-bound. However, there are pitifully small amounts of EPA and DHA in krill oil. Nordic Naturals created a phospholipid product that in its advertising claims to be better than krill oil for having both phospholipids and lots of EPA and DHA. Quoting from the link they provided to you: “More than double the omega-3s as the average krill supplement.” However, they refuse to state the amount of EPA and DHA that is phospholipid-bound. We know that it is possible to state that amount, because one of Nordic Naturals’ competitors does state the amounts of phospholipid-bound DHA and EPA in its fish-oil product.

Seems fishy to me.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

bladedmind wrote: Seems fishy to me.
Exactly.

If the omega 3 in eggs is from feeding the hens flax seeds, do the hens convert it to DHA and EPA before it goes into the egg? Or are we eating ALA in the eggs and our bodies converting it? It sounds like the former if we can ascertain how much PL-bound DHA is in omega 3 eggs.

I have the FADS2 mutation that reduces ALA conversion to EPA (rs1535(G;G)), but Rhonda Patrick's report doesn't say it reduces conversion of ALA to DHA.
bladedmind
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by bladedmind »

The ALA they eat from flax seeds transforms into DHA and EPA, and I'm guessing that some portion of the ALA is transferred into the egg. Those studies measure separately DHA, EPA, ALA. Some producers add fish oil to the feed as well - and I'm guessing that the chicken transforms them from triglyceride to phospholipid form.

Notice that EPA and DHA are big in poultry eggs and fish roe. It's easy to find articles showing that ingestion of EPA and DHA during pregnancy improves outcomes for piglets and human babies as well.
Blissful1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Blissful1 »

I have been reading about DHA for 4/4s.
I have been using Brain Octane by Bullet proof which is refined caprylic acid but it is from coconut oil. ok for a 4/4 or better to switch? Also Dr Gundry just sent out a new oil product. Anyone know about either of these and what is best for a 4/4. https://www.bulletproof.com/products/br ... DA8GqNRK4A
https://gundrymd.com/megasale/essential_plant_intro.php
bladedmind
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by bladedmind »

The MCT oil you referenced is an aid to ketosis. It is not related to omega-3 fats. See https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/MCT_effects If you want caprylic acid there are quality alternatives to the Bulletproof brand at much better prices.

Gundry’s supplement hawking doesn’t add to his credibility. Anyway, it looks like he’s designed an omega-3 supplement for vegans. Earlier in this thread, someone who does not eat fish was looking for something like that.

I am not a vegan, and I eat omega-3 eggs and SMASH fish a lot, because the omega-3s are largely phospholipid-bound from those sources. That’s for my APOE4/4 brain. That could be enough for many people. Since I tend to very high blood triglycerides I also take a quality fish oil supplement (triglyceride-bound) for my blood.
bladedmind
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by bladedmind »

Thank you bladedmind! Since I think I'm getting enough of those other nutrients, maybe I'll switch to the omega-3 eggs.
Following up on an earlier exchange between circular and me earlier in the thread.

Circular was torn between Omega-3 eggs with phospholipid-bound DHA and EPA and free-range eggs which had been his preference. I reported general data on Omega-3 labeled and free-range labeled eggs showing that the Omega-3 eggs have substantially more Omega-3s than the free-range do,

I was in a San Diego Whole Foods today and bought a product I haven't seen before: Organic Valley Organic Extra-Large Brown Eggs, Free Range, Omega-3, and claiming 225 mg Omega-3, for $4.99 a dozen. Whole Foods Large Omega-3 eggs, my previous routine choice, also claimed 225 mg Omega-3 and also sold at 4.99 per.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

bladedmind wrote:
Thank you bladedmind! Since I think I'm getting enough of those other nutrients, maybe I'll switch to the omega-3 eggs.
Following up on an earlier exchange between circular and me earlier in the thread.

Circular was torn between Omega-3 eggs with phospholipid-bound DHA and EPA and free-range eggs which had been his preference. I reported general data on Omega-3 labeled and free-range labeled eggs showing that the Omega-3 eggs have substantially more Omega-3s than the free-range do,

I was in a San Diego Whole Foods today and bought a product I haven't seen before: Organic Valley Organic Extra-Large Brown Eggs, Free Range, Omega-3, and claiming 225 mg Omega-3, for $4.99 a dozen. Whole Foods Large Omega-3 eggs, my previous routine choice, also claimed 225 mg Omega-3 and also sold at 4.99 per.
Thanks bladedmind. I switched to omega 3 eggs and have abandoned them. They don't sit as well in my stomach. My guess is they are higher in feed lectins than pastured eggs. I'm actually trialing no eggs at all to see if they're the cause of my chronically high hs-CRP. I'm in great genetic need of the choline, so I might have to figure out a pleasant way to just eat yolks :?
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

circular wrote:I'm in great genetic need of the choline, so I might have to figure out a pleasant way to just eat yolks :?
I used to chuck raw egg yolks into my smoothies. Hardly tasted the yolks, but my smoothie recipe used to include cacao powder, bananas, berries and other strong-tasting ingredients. (This was before I knew about ApoE4.)
4/4