fascinating research on cause of beta-amyloid plaques, bucks prevailing paradigms

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
babl
Contributor
Contributor

fascinating research on cause of beta-amyloid plaques, bucks prevailing paradigms

Post by babl »

Found this great article today. Very compelling evidence showing that beta-amyloid acts as a microbial agent in the brain. From the article -- "beta-amyloid is an antimicrobial... the brain goes on an amyloid-making immune rampage in response to pathogens, and that the rampage ignites neuron-killing inflammation" and plaque formation. If this is true, then it would open a new avenue of looking at how the disease develops.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/10/29/alz ... tUWYgtQZ5c
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: fascinating research on cause of beta-amyloid plaques, bucks prevailing paradigms

Post by Kenny4/4 »

Great article!
It makes sense. I know my thinking deteriorates after having strep. Luckily I only get sick in anyway once every 4 years or so. His theory that amyloid is an anti-microbial makes sense as APOE4 rich populations tend to be in parasitic rich-low hygeine Africa and towards the arctic where more raw meat would probably be eaten. Amyloid seems also helps clear metals from the brain as ferritin/iron levels are also related to Amyloid accumulation risk.
Amyloid it protects us -but wrecks our brain in the end. That seems to be a narrative that nature follows quite often.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: fascinating research on cause of beta-amyloid plaques, bucks prevailing paradigms

Post by circular »

There's a lot more on the forum about this area. You might wish to search it using keywords: (upper right > three dots > search)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.