Maternal Inheritance

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Maternal Inheritance

Post by Julie G »

So let me get this straight - I'm at high risk since I'm ApoE 4/4, and I'm Diabetic. My dad just died of AD at 85, but I'm actually at lower risk since my mom was sharp as a tack when she died at 80 of cancer?
I'm sorry about the loss of your parents, Mike. My take is that you can't deduce anything about your mitochondrial DNA since your Mom may not have lived long enough to get AD. It's a good sign (for you!) that she didn't develop it sooner.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

mike wrote:So let me get this straight - I'm at high risk since I'm ApoE 4/4, and I'm Diabetic. My dad just died of AD at 85, but I'm actually at lower risk since my mom was sharp as a tack when she died at 80 of cancer? But wait, my mom's mom who should have the same mitochondrial DNA died at 101, but she didn't know anyone for her last 10 years... I'm so confused :?
"It's complicated!"

OK, so I'm 4/4, my brother has AD (unknown Apo status), and my mom has one E4 by inference (trust me, we're related :roll: ) and is going strong at age 82. She has much more energy than me, and we have the same mitochondrial line. It's more than genetics and more than environment. Epigenetics makes sense to me.
Slacker
E4/E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Maybe we can get mitochondria DNA from Dad!
Slacker
E4/E4
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

Hopefully, there will be more studies on this soon as 3-9 times more likely is significant .
As E4 s, we are inherent fighters and don't give up so easily.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Nikki2019 wrote:Hopefully, there will be more studies on this soon as 3-9 times more likely is significant .
Hi again, Nikki!

The good news is that lots of researchers are studying mitochondria. Just using Google Scholar to search Alzheimer's and mitochondria, and then limiting the search to "since 2018" came up with 11,000 citations! So expect to hear more on this, especially since researchers can now use genetic engineering and "machine learning" to crunch the numbers on massive data in an efforts to get faster, better answers.

Since your own Dad was diagnosed at age 65, and was almost certainly affected by his decades of smoking, lack of exercise and other factors that you don't share, I think the take-away for you is still: have exercise be a part of what you love to do; eat a diet with a rainbow of colors and limited processed foods; enjoy your twin sister, your family, your job and your friends. And assume that you are perfectly positioned to benefit from the explosion of research likely to pay off in the next decade.

Luckily the 4th of July is a perfect day to do all those healthy things--(and one hot dog or hamburger is not going to ruin your future, IMHO!)
4/4 and still an optimist!
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

Great to hear from you again NF52 ! Hope your home project and vacay went well!

I went jogging for 50 mins., as I have been 6 Xper week and go to the gym 3 X for weight lifting. I also try to sit in the sauna and sweat out some heavy metals. However, I do have a TERRIBLE sweet tooth, as does my sister 3/4 and father 4/4. And, I love anything with cheese, which I heard is common for APoE4 s and also something that may not be good for our gene types.

I have been pretty good about taking advantage of the wonderful organic Summer fruit that come our way in California. I try to stay away from the processed stuff, but certainly its a struggle sometimes.

The keytone diet, coconut oil, fasting, and silica water . I am still trying to sort out. I would like to hear what you or Stavia do regarding these things. :?:
As E4 s, we are inherent fighters and don't give up so easily.