Maternal Inheritance

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Maternal Inheritance

Post by Tincup »

Nikki2019 wrote:Thanks, Tincup

So do you think that it may be the case that if dad has AD one is generally less likely to get it than if mom has it?
I've not studied it, so can't offer an opinion. Richard Isaacson talks about genetics and AD a bit in this interview. with Peter Attia.

Sounds like there can be a number of factors in play.
Tincup
E3,E4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

That's a great question! And it seems that someone ought to know. But I haven't come across anything in my reading.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

So do you think that it may be the case that if dad has AD one is generally less likely to get it than if mom has it?
The literature overwhelmingly supports this view. Those with affected mothers are considered to be at higher risk.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Julie G wrote:
The literature overwhelmingly supports this view. Those with affected mothers are considered to be at higher risk.
Would the same then apply if your dad's mother had AD?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Your dad (not you!) would be affected by his mother's mitochondria.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Julie G wrote:

Great. I'm really racking up the risk factors. :?

These sort of data don't necessarily mean it is maternal inheritance of mitochondrial genes. That would be one possible explanation....but it could be other things too.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

True, just a hypothesis. Here’s a recent paper discussing the evidence:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5842281/
Patterns of inherited risk for AD also suggest a role for the maternally inherited mitochondria. Individuals with a maternal family history of AD have a higher risk of AD compared to individuals with a paternal family history of AD (three to nine times higher) [26, 27], or no family history, score lower on cognitive tests [28], have a lower age of onset [26, 29], and have more pronounced brain abnormalities consistent with AD (cerebral metabolic [30], higher Aβ burden [31], reduction in gray matter volume [32, 33], and increased global PiB uptake PiB-PET [34]). It has also been demonstrated that some of these brain abnormalities are associated with mitochondrial haplotypes [35]. Maternal-specific changes in risk and related AD phenotypes could be driven by X-linked AD risk,
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi Julie. This seems to suggest mitochondrial genes play a role:

"It has also been demonstrated that some of these brain abnormalities are associated with mitochondrial haplotypes [35]."
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Julie G wrote:
Your dad (not you!) would be affected by his mother's mitochondria.
a logic short circuit. ;) What I don't get Julie, is that if this is true (3 to 9 times higher), then it is more deterministic of AD than ApoE (~30% higher) genotype... This has got to be a different path than ApoE4. I could see the mitochondrial playing a role in nutrient deprived AD. ApoE4 seems more involved in AB clearing. Combining could certainly raise the odds.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

So let me get this straight - I'm at high risk since I'm ApoE 4/4, and I'm Diabetic. My dad just died of AD at 85, but I'm actually at lower risk since my mom was sharp as a tack when she died at 80 of cancer? But wait, my mom's mom who should have the same mitochondrial DNA died at 101, but she didn't know anyone for her last 10 years... I'm so confused :?
Sonoma Mike
4/4