Interesting / encrouaging: broccoli sprouts help to remodel DNA expression

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Interesting / encrouaging: broccoli sprouts help to remodel DNA expression

Post by Fiver »

I was reading this article from 2014 and was pleased to see real evidence that eating sprouts had effects on DNA expression that other studies have suggested could be good for E4s.

The Role of Dietary Histone Deacetylases (HDACs) Inhibitors in Health and Disease
Shalome A. Bassett1,2,* and Matthew P. G. Barnett1,2

HDAC inhibitors in turn regulate the activity of HDACs, and have been widely used as therapeutics in psychiatry and neurology, in which a number of adverse outcomes are associated with aberrant HDAC function. More recently, dietary HDAC inhibitors have been shown to have a regulatory effect similar to that of pharmacological HDAC inhibitors without the possible side-effects.

Healthy human volunteers fed broccoli sprouts (1 cup/day; 68 g), which equated to a daily dietary intake of 105 mg of the HDAC inhibitor SFN, showed hyperacetylation of histones H3 and H4 in normal circulating blood cells. The level of HDAC inhibition was greater than, or equal to, that achieved with the clinical HDAC inhibitor vorinostat [158].

So it has this impact on blood cells. I'm looking to see if there is evidence that it would work in the brain.

There is separate evidence that this effect would promote the expression of genes needed to correct cell processes - like endosomal / lysosomal recycling - that are disrupted by E4.

I found this encouraging.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Interesting / encrouaging: broccoli sprouts help to remodel DNA expression

Post by slacker »

Dr Rhonda Patrick supports broccoli sprouts to increase sulforaphane. Some of her information can be found here. There has been discussion of sulforaphane elsewhere, but perhaps not Patrick's link.
Slacker
E4/E4
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Interesting / encrouaging: broccoli sprouts help to remodel DNA expression

Post by NewRon »

Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60