positive or negative experiences with Ashwaganda

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: positive or negative experiences with Ashwaganda

Post by slacker »

komatta wrote:Just as a follow up, my mother's cardiologist's nurse called and told me that the doctor, though he had never heard of ashwaganda, had said to avoid it. SInce several sites indicate that it may increase bleeding, and since my mother is on coumadin, I suppose it does make sense.
Komatta; drug to herb interactions are not well studied, so it is difficult to get solid information on which combinations to avoid. Coumadin is notorious for many drug to drug interactions, so being careful with herbs is probably a good idea. Doctors tend to be conservative, therefore the advice to avoid the ashwaganda. Given the possibility of increased bleeding, I personally would avoid the combination.
Slacker
E4/E4
komatta
Contributor
Contributor

Post by komatta »

Thanks Slacker. I am going to send the ashwaganda back. Better safe than sorry.
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

I appreciate the detailed, (seemingly) unbiased research and articles listed on http://www.greenmedinfo.com. I'd suggest checking this site for questions such as this. Best of luck!
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
komatta
Contributor
Contributor

Post by komatta »

CoachDD wrote:I appreciate the detailed, (seemingly) unbiased research and articles listed on http://www.greenmedinfo.com. I'd suggest checking this site for questions such as this. Best of luck!
Thanks CoachDD, I checked it out and the site looks very informative.
cwicker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cwicker »

I took Ashwagandha and it was great. I slept well and I felt relaxed all day. However, after about a month it kept me awake all night. I trialed it several times since with a similar effect. I was relaxed, but awake. I'm afraid to take it earlier in the day.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Are you taking on an empty stomach? My FMD has me take with meals.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Brainz
Contributor
Contributor

positive or negative experiences with Ashwaganda

Post by Brainz »

As a follow-up to my prior experience, I decided to stop taking Ashwaghanda about a month ago. It seemed to be synergistic with caffeine and put me more on edge, even when taking it at night (though taking it and drinking coffee in the morning was definitely was the most noticeable combination). Since cessation, I feel more relaxed and less tense overall. The nightshade comments above are interesting as I believe I’m nightshade sensitive — potatoes and tomatoes give me issues.

I’m still a big fan of magnesium — I find it truly relaxing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

Brainz wrote:The nightshade comments above are interesting as I believe I’m nightshade sensitive — potatoes and tomatoes give me issues.
Somewhat tangentially - I was interested to find there is (at least one) SNP variant associated with poor processing of nightshades: rs1799807(G). And even more tangentially, promethease tells me that this variant is often co-inherited with an Alzheimer's promoting SNP variant rs1803274(A).
Brainz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Brainz »

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing.
komatta
Contributor
Contributor

Post by komatta »

Brainz wrote:As a follow-up to my prior experience, I decided to stop taking Ashwaghanda about a month ago. It seemed to be synergistic with caffeine and put me more on edge, even when taking it at night (though taking it and drinking coffee in the morning was definitely was the most noticeable combination). Since cessation, I feel more relaxed and less tense overall. The nightshade comments above are interesting as I believe I’m nightshade sensitive — potatoes and tomatoes give me issues.

I’m still a big fan of magnesium — I find it truly relaxing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is there any research indicating that nightshades in general, or tomatoes in particular are in any way linked to dementia? We've been growing and eating lots of tomatoes.